It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Girls Softball league lawsuit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
I came across a story today and it grabbed my attention.
Apparently there was a lot of corruption in California softball league and it’s lead to lawyers being involved.
A nasty situation to say the least.

This was of interest to me because a few years ago I ended my three year tenure as Vice President of a girls softball league ages 5 thru 14.
We were quite proud of what we accomplished in those three years having increased the bank account substantially and also greatly improving the number of girls participating. We even got to a point where we would have large fundraisers for local family’s in need and ended up collecting and donating $17k. That was an amazing number for our small town to raise.

Anyway, the main reasons we could accomplish so much was transparency and accountability.
My wife acting as the bookkeeper was a stickler for paper trails. Receipts for everything!
There were also free skills clinics for the girls and other resources for the community to see a return on their investment.

After my experiences with our league it amazes me how this story could even happen.

Illegal votes.
Theft of money and equipment.
No bid contracts.

The lawsuits numbers are over $100k in damages and legal fees!
I know large amounts of money can corrupt people but parents need to be holding the league accountable.
I guess I’m an unusual parent because I tend to speak my mind and to hell with the repercussion.

The link and a few snippets are below for those interested, but fair warning, it’s infuriating.
One thing I loved about coaching was teaching the girls sportsmanship and respect but I guess everybody forgot that responsibility.

www.pressdemocrat.com...

“ A Santa Rosa girls softball league is suing a breakaway group of former board members who executed a coup, alleging they improperly used money, equipment and infrastructure from the first league to start their new league.”

“ In the meantime, volunteer board members and parents have been skirmishing about bank accounts, board actions, use of membership lists and social media accounts, and alleged theft of funds and equipment. Longtime volunteers are bickering and feel forced to choose sides, those involved said.”

“ The latest suit alleges the splinter group damaged the Santa Rosa league, which was formed in 1997, by improperly conducting board business, lying to bank personnel to access league money, filing a false police report and frivolous lawsuit, using the league contact lists to poach participants to benefit their own organization, misappropriating equipment and stealing its traditional team names, including the Red Barons.”

edit on 20-1-2020 by Bluntone22 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Wait till there's a All Trans "Womens" Softball team that dominates the rest.

Poetic Justice for California.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: pavil

I’m sure it will happen eventually.
But like everything else, people don’t care until it effects them personally.

You can do 100 things right and not hear a thing but mess up one time and you hear about it from 50 people.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Most people ho are doing the right thing could care less for fan fair .
after all if its fan fair you want ITS Not teh right thing .lol
save a kitten because you care or you want a good youtube video ?
kitten is saved ether way But which is right .
I never felt the need for cameras or speeches for the good i have done in life .
as for messing up YES people care Because when someone messes UP it can EFFECT them .
and yes all it takes is one bad messup and someones life can be ruined . Like say Calling someone a criminal who never committed a crime .
Lifes are destroyed so yes doing one wrong thing matter . EVEN one false arrest should never happen

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: pavil

Wait till there's a All Trans "Womens" Softball team that dominates the rest.

Poetic Justice for California.

is this testosterone making me look fat?

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I coach girls softball and it can get very political. I coach summer leagues as well as at the local high school. I tried to be part of the local organization for a while, but there was simply too much BS for me. I would rather coach than deal with all the bureaucracy.
edit on 2020/1/21 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:57 AM
link   

sadly when you start having large amounts of money (especially), fame, and power in sports things (sadly) for the most part (there are few damn few exceptions) go south.

just look at boys little league

when I was growing up it was organized but it was structured for FUN...
yes there were some overzealous parents and coaches. that is unavoidable but as an institution was RARE.

now you see massive tv contracts, money, and it results in activities like agents, recruiting, ect that were staples (and shame in many cases) of ADULT leagues.

hell remember the "little league world series " that is major tv event (let that alone sink in ) .
how now there was not one but more scandal of ADULTS (or at very least late teens boarding on adults) portraying themselves as younger kids on winning teams
if that was not mind blowing they were RECRUITING from central american countries both legal and the illegal in the scandals.

in what is touted as LITTLE / CHILD LEAGUES.

I comment you when you did girls softball that you are a notable exception and you deserve massive credit

the situation shows more how our morals have given way to fame and the dollar .

sad really sad
scrounger

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 03:03 AM
link   
a reply to: scrounger

Morals are far far more depraved than that for many, Its a race to the bottom.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 04:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed
a reply to: scrounger

Morals are far far more depraved than that for many, Its a race to the bottom.

on something we can both agree

scrounger

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Illegal voting in California..,. Inconceivable

Adults need to just keep score and let the kids play

top topics

join