It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Cost of Internet Shutdowns in 2019

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

We calculated over 18,000 hours of internet shutdowns around the world in 2019 to have cost the global economy $8.05BN. This represents a 235% increase in impact compared to $2.4BN in 2015/16, according to the most recently available analysis.

We also found that there were more internet shutdowns in 2019 than ever before. We included in this report 122 major incidents, ie that were national or region-wide in their impact, that took place during the last 12 months.

The Global Cost of Internet Shutdowns in 2019

More and more TPTB are having no problem cutting the internet in times of unrest. It is becoming acceptable and the major concern being one of economic impact.

It looks like India, Myanmar and Chad win the award for the most hours of internet shutdown. India with 4,196 hours of shutdown, Chad with 4,728 and Myanmar with a whopping 4,880.

Iraq is at the top of the costs list with $2,319.5M in shutdown costs. Iran is 5th on the Cost by Country list with only $611.7M in shutdown costs.

The four most blocked platforms were:

#1 - WhatsApp

#2 - Facebook

#3 - Instagram

#4 - Twitter

During our analysis of every internet shutdown in 2019, some general trends emerged. They most often occur in response to protests or civil unrest, especially surrounding elections, as authoritarian regimes look to restrict the flow of information and maintain their grip on power.

I could see it happening in the US during/after the 2020 elections.

edit on 19-1-2020 by LookingAtMars because: stutter

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

I don't think it could happen in the US. The infrastructure is too varied and robust.

Anyway, if was even possible it would have happened in 2016 with the tyrannical authoritarian leftists trying to cling to power.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 03:57 PM
link   
It's kind of ridiculous that we have created societies where internet shutdowns can effect the economy so much.

Then if you consider the power outages which also effect the internet because people on a local basis can't go online and do what they are supposed to be doing or buying online. The internet doesn't have to be shut down for your modem to be offline.

Some stores shut the doors when the internet is offline because the transactions go to a master computer. My daughters business is reliant on the internet, she has a package that gets her service above and beyond what normal people get but pays a way higher price for it than a regular person does. They come to fix the business services quicker than homeowners get their service restored.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

It has happened in the US before.

At least once in 2016.

October 22, 2016 8:58 AM PDT

At 7 a.m. local time, folks on the East Coast discovered that sites like Twitter, Spotify, Etsy, Netflix and software code-management service GitHub were knocked for a loop. Hackers had flooded Dyn, one of the biggest internet management companies in the country, with junk traffic -- effectively shutting down services and websites throughout the region.

The outages eased after two hours but returned with a vengeance at midday, affecting areas across the US and parts of Europe.

"The earlier issues have resurfaced & some people may still be having trouble accessing Twitter," the company tweeted. "We're working on it!" Meanwhile, the US Department of Homeland Security said it was "investigating all potential causes."

Internet outage swoops across the US

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Those are localized and only effecting certain sites.

Not very concerning.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 04:15 PM
link   
I believe the so-called "cost" of internet outages is greatly exaggerated. Someone got out a spreadsheet and calculated how much money people spend on the Internet every day. then they took the time of the outage and divided to come up with a "loss per hour." That is highly speculative. My Internet was down all day one day last week. It didn't cost me a dime. Any purchases I could not make were simply deferred until it was back up. Further, who cares if Twitter is down? I count that as a plus. I am NOT saying there was "no loss," just that the losses are likely greatly exaggerated. Unless you know precisely how these "losses" were calculated, I'd take them with a large grain of salt.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 04:16 PM
link   

I don't doubt the "deep state" has an internet kill switch.

Plus plenty of hackers at it's command.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 05:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

I don't think it could happen in the US. The infrastructure is too varied and robust.

Anyway, if was even possible it would have happened in 2016 with the tyrannical authoritarian leftists trying to cling to power.

It can be done easily by those in control .
It's all about domains.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 06:45 PM
link   
a reply to: schuyler
Twitter is where many of us find conflict news before the msm to post on ats. I beat the msm a few times thanks. To Twitter.

Now, if I can only get into Chinese Twitter, but I had to use a VPN just to access. Their servers. I think they block American IP's. I hit a major roadblock when trying to dig furhter Into theses alleged artificial moons the Chinese will be putting into orbit starting t his year over Chengdu and two or three other urban zones..

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 06:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
a reply to: schuyler
Twitter is where many of us find conflict news before the msm to post on ats. I beat the msm a few times thanks. To Twitter.

That you managed to "beat" the msm by a few minutes to post on ATS just shows neither the msm nor ATS is anything more than a news aggregator from other sources--just like Drudge, but without the comments. What would it cost anyone if they waited a few seconds before they got this terribly important news? Nothing at all tangible, It just spreads the BS a little faster. If Twitter went way tomorrow--permanently--it wouldn't really matter in any important way.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 12:21 AM
link   

Did you forget that Obama signed and executive order that gives the President the power to cut off the internet?

new topics

top topics

join