It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CVN-81

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 10:45 AM
link   
a reply to: pronto

The count was slightly off. There are actually 12, counting Kennedy which was just commissioned. If you count Enterprise, 13. Twelve named for admirals, Presidents, or members of Congress.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58
G.day
Washington. general army
ike. general army
Nimitz. admiral navy
stennis and one other mbr govt rest presidents
hows that from memory
come to think of it Washington can be listed as a mbr of two sub cats
have to admit the name kitty hawk and constellation have always resounded with me
would be nice to see either name floating again

edit on 19-1-2020 by pronto because: nuts left out nimitz rank

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Washington and Eisenhower were also both, say it with me now, Presidents. Washington was the first President of the United States, and Eisenhower was the 34th President of the United States.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:27 AM
link   
forgot why I first dropped into this thread
1. back ground info
v8 car racing in aussie you are either a holden of a ford bloke
and the supporters really get stuck into each other.
examples
holden= just holden on
ford = Fix Or Repair Daily
or both will say this if ford/holden country where on a quiet day you can hear the holdens/fords rusting
ok so the U.S.S. FORD is years late over budget and probs still being rectified
so in true aussie #stirring/taking the piss out of something/someone
the ford sounds like a Fix Or Repair Daily ship

OH ME. yep yer got me im a ford bloke

they can take their gm/holdens and stuff em where the sun don't shinelol

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
There's an edited copy of the movie floating around the net the leaves out the love story and everything not relating to the events of Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid.

The Japanese should have bombed Michael Bay.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Washington and Eisenhower were also both, say it with me now, Presidents. Washington was the first President of the United States, and Eisenhower was the 34th President of the United States.

Bugga forgot ike filled both cats
see its no good going on the dry you forget stuff
don't want to shock you
but down her in the land of the long week-end we learnt about Washington in grade 4

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Bugga forgot ike filled both cats
see its no good going on the dry you forget stuff
don't want to shock you
but down her in the land of the long week-end we learnt about Washington in grade 4

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
There's an edited copy of the movie floating around the net the leaves out the love story and everything not relating to the events of Pearl Harbor and the Doolittle Raid.

The Japanese should have bombed Michael Bay.

Or at least whichever film school he went to.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

Not one bit of arguement from me.

It was, and still is, a horrible movie.

posted on Jan, 19 2020 @ 06:06 PM
link   
a reply to: seagull

But it was a hell of a lot of fun to watch them film.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 01:56 AM
link   
I think there should be a ship named after Doris Miller but not an aircraft carrier. All super carriers have been named after famous U.S. Navy warships, important battles of the USA, America, Kitty Hawk, or important elected officials, statesmen and military leaders. These are the largest, most powerful and expensive warships in the world, and should be named after the most important leaders, events, battles, warships and places in the nation’s history. There are only a dozen or so active at any one time. Now if the Navy or Congress wanted to name one after Martin Luther King Jr., Barrack Obama, Thurgood Marshall, Colin Powell, etc., I would have no problem with that.

Miller was a great hero, no question about it, but a more appropriate namesake for him would be a Burke-class destroyer, or perhaps even an LHA amphibious assault carrier or one of the planned LX(R)-class amphibious warships. Anyway, I suspect it’s already a done deal and the next Ford-class carrier will be the USS Doris Miller.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 02:11 AM
link   

may i correct that for you ?

" the film was a steaming pile of shiite - and an insult to everyone who ever existed or will exist "

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 03:52 AM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

There was a ship named after him, though I can't recall what it was.

A frigate, if I'm remembering correctly...

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 03:58 AM
link   
a reply to: seagull

DE-1091 at the start of her career, later changed to FF-1091 after the DE was removed. Knox class.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 06:14 AM
link   
not to detract from millers valour .

but - does he really deserve an aircraft carrier in his honour ?

its because he is black - isnt it ?????????????????????

as others have stated - yes he should have a major combatant mamed in his honour

but once you name an CVN for miller - it opens the floodgate - there are other enlisteds whoes gong citations are more impressive than millers - do they get aircraft carriers too ?????????????????

that is the problem

yes there is a movement for forward thinking names - not just regurgitating a few legendary names

but - where do you stop ?

the cutting example = james e williams . he " only " has a guided missile cruiser named after him

read his tail - and tell me why miller accords a CVN name plate ??????????????

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 06:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
may i correct that for you ?

You may, and I agree.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

There was supposed to have been a soldier that came out of one of the barracks and shot down an enemy plane with an M-1 Garand rifle. I heard the story read on AM radio once on a Pearl Harbor day. I can't remember the guy's name. I was really disappointed with the film to find it did not include this scene. I always thought it was a cool story that was one of the events of that day. They absolutely could have worked it into the film too.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   
a reply to: ignorant_ape

It's great to see that certain things can transcent political differences and still unite everyone on ATS.

Incidentally, that steaming pile of #e was a steaming pile of #e after a rewrite...by two of Britain's most notable comedy writers. WTF was the studio thinking?
edit on 21-1-2020 by Whodathunkdatcheese because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 04:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Whodathunkdatcheese

After reading what the story was, I never actually watched it. We got to see the after effects of the attack daily, so reading about that movie just pissed me off. It was a blast to watch the planes flying around filming it though.

posted on Sep, 25 2020 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Ford completed her Consolidated Operability Test.

www.militarynews.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join