It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

You’re a bunch of dopes and babies’: Inside Trump’s stunning tirade against generals

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:36 AM
link   
This is taken from a article on the Washington Post website......

This article is adapted from “A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump’s Testing of America,” which will be published on Jan. 21 by Penguin Press.

There is no more sacred room for military officers than 2E924 of the Pentagon, a windowless and secure vault where the Joint Chiefs of Staff meet regularly to wrestle with classified matters. Its more common name is “the Tank.”

By that point, six months into his administration, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had grown alarmed by gaping holes in Trump’s knowledge of history, especially the key alliances forged following World War II. Trump had dismissed allies as worthless, cozied up to authoritarian regimes in Russia and elsewhere, and advocated withdrawing troops from strategic outposts and active theaters alike.

Mattis, Cohn, and Tillerson and their aides decided to use maps, graphics, and charts to tutor the president, figuring they would help keep him from getting bored. Mattis opened with a slide show punctuated by lots of dollar signs. Mattis devised a strategy to use terms the impatient president, schooled in real estate, would appreciate to impress upon him the value of U.S. investments abroad.

Before they could debate the Iran deal, Trump erupted to revive another frequent complaint: the war in Afghanistan, which was now America’s longest war. He demanded an explanation for why the United States hadn’t won in Afghanistan yet, now 16 years after the nation began fighting there in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Trump unleashed his disdain, calling Afghanistan a “loser war.” That phrase hung in the air and disgusted not only the military leaders at the table but also the men and women in uniform sitting along the back wall behind their principals. They all were sworn to obey their commander in chief’s commands, and here he was calling the war they had been fighting a loser war.

This was a president who had been labeled a “draft dodger” for avoiding service in the Vietnam War under questionable circumstances. Trump was a young man born of privilege and in seemingly perfect health: six feet two inches with a muscular build and a flawless medical record. He played several sports, including football.

Tillerson stood up. But when he did so, he turned his back to the president and faced the flag officers and the rest of the aides in the room. He didn’t want a repeat of the scene in the Tank.
“I’ve never put on a uniform, but I know this,” Tillerson said. “Every person who has put on a uniform, the people in this room, they don’t do it to make a buck. They did it for their country, to protect us. I want everyone to be clear about how much we as a country value their service.”

Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?” Trump asks his then-Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, as the men prepare to take a private tour of the USS Arizona Memorial....Trump had heard the phrase ‘Pearl Harbor’ and appeared to understand that he was visiting the scene of a historic battle, but he did not seem to know much else...…..

A small snippit from the article on the Washington Post website.

This is a new book written by Philip Rucker and Carol D. Leonning (Washington Post reporters) who paint a picture of a US president who has no clue what he's doing and appears to be very disrespectful of those serving their country.
I don't have a "horse" in the US election race, and I'd like to point out to the usual blind faith crowd who can't have a bad word said against their leader, I'm British and also voted conservative so your screaming "liberal wha wha wha" is just ridiculous, I have no problem saying Boris is and can be a twit.

I posted this after reading the article and was wondering do any members who serve or served their country and would normally vote republican feel their faith in their leader failing and after 3 years of a Trump presidency, would you rather vote for a different republican given half the chance, maybe someone with military experience?

edit on 18-1-2020 by Kurokage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:46 AM
link   
This is from a book I might consider buying.

I would rather not do that with that book the Impeached Idiot (=Demented Donald, you got it) himself has advertised.

+25 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Washington post is fake news.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:56 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Im not a Washington post reader, but im guessing you wouldn't call fox fake news. Did i guess right?

+18 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:57 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Except the event being discussed in this article has been confirmed by people that were there.

But feel free to embrace ignorance.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:58 AM
link   
the sad thing is the DNC lost to him... and with the current crop of whack jobs they have fighting to run against him there is a good chance he wins again.

if the Democrats would offer something different than what they have and offer a platform that appealed to the majority of independent/middle ground voters they would have won 2016 in a walk, and would have won in 2020 as well.

Instead of people trying to tell me how horrible mean, nasty, juvenile trump is, give me a change I can accept to encourage me to vote against him.

But the economy is doing well, unemployment is down, (in record numbers for some groups) he appears to be fighting china for the economic benefit of America...

I didnt vote for Donald, wont in 2020 either, but no way will I vote for a democrat either.

The DNC needs a platform that cant be distilled into SJW talking points... higher taxes, more illegals, more infringement on our rights, bigger nanny state, they have forgotten how to speak to the blue collar worker that doesn't live on social media and scream in outrage over a tasteless joke.

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon

How is an article about the release of a book "fake news"????
spewing fake news about everything you disagree with is just ignorant.

+19 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage

How is an article about the release of a book "fake news"????
spewing fake news about everything you disagree with is just ignorant.

The book is written by authors that work for Bezos

+5 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Eh!??

You're making yourself sound ridiculous, let's put it another way, if it wasn't for the likes of WP, The Guardian, and seriously few other media sources, you would know feck nothing.
Of course then, logic is telling me that you don't read any of the above, that must mean then you know very little.
edit on 18-1-2020 by smurfy because: Text.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kurokage
This is taken from a article on the Washington Post website......

This article is adapted from “A Very Stable Genius: Donald J. Trump’s Testing of America,” which will be published on Jan. 21 by Penguin Press.

There is no more sacred room for military officers than 2E924 of the Pentagon, a windowless and secure vault where the Joint Chiefs of Staff meet regularly to wrestle with classified matters. Its more common name is “the Tank.”

By that point, six months into his administration, Secretary of Defense Jim Mattis, Director of the National Economic Council Gary Cohn, and Secretary of State Rex Tillerson had grown alarmed by gaping holes in Trump’s knowledge of history, especially the key alliances forged following World War II. Trump had dismissed allies as worthless, cozied up to authoritarian regimes in Russia and elsewhere, and advocated withdrawing troops from strategic outposts and active theaters alike.

Mattis, Cohn, and Tillerson and their aides decided to use maps, graphics, and charts to tutor the president, figuring they would help keep him from getting bored. Mattis opened with a slide show punctuated by lots of dollar signs. Mattis devised a strategy to use terms the impatient president, schooled in real estate, would appreciate to impress upon him the value of U.S. investments abroad.

Before they could debate the Iran deal, Trump erupted to revive another frequent complaint: the war in Afghanistan, which was now America’s longest war. He demanded an explanation for why the United States hadn’t won in Afghanistan yet, now 16 years after the nation began fighting there in the wake of the 9/11 terrorist attacks. Trump unleashed his disdain, calling Afghanistan a “loser war.” That phrase hung in the air and disgusted not only the military leaders at the table but also the men and women in uniform sitting along the back wall behind their principals. They all were sworn to obey their commander in chief’s commands, and here he was calling the war they had been fighting a loser war.

This was a president who had been labeled a “draft dodger” for avoiding service in the Vietnam War under questionable circumstances. Trump was a young man born of privilege and in seemingly perfect health: six feet two inches with a muscular build and a flawless medical record. He played several sports, including football.

Tillerson stood up. But when he did so, he turned his back to the president and faced the flag officers and the rest of the aides in the room. He didn’t want a repeat of the scene in the Tank.
“I’ve never put on a uniform, but I know this,” Tillerson said. “Every person who has put on a uniform, the people in this room, they don’t do it to make a buck. They did it for their country, to protect us. I want everyone to be clear about how much we as a country value their service.”

Hey, John, what’s this all about? What’s this a tour of?” Trump asks his then-Chief of Staff John F. Kelly, as the men prepare to take a private tour of the USS Arizona Memorial....Trump had heard the phrase ‘Pearl Harbor’ and appeared to understand that he was visiting the scene of a historic battle, but he did not seem to know much else...…..

A small snippit from the article on the Washington Post website.

This is a new book written by Philip Rucker and Carol D. Leonning (Washington Post reporters) who paint a picture of a US president who has no clue what he's doing and appears to be very disrespectful of those serving their country.
I don't have a "horse" in the US election race, and I'd like to point out to the usual blind faith crowd who can't have a bad word said against their leader, I'm British and also voted conservative so your screaming "liberal wha wha wha" is just ridiculous, I have no problem saying Boris is and can be a twit.

I posted this after reading the article and was wondering do any members who serve or served their country and would normally vote republican feel their faith in their leader failing and after 3 years of a Trump presidency, would you rather vote for a different republican given half the chance, maybe someone with military experience?

The important thing to discover is the source for this story....who heard what first -hand , not 3rd hand passed down gossip and hearsay. Were authors Rucker and Leonning at the meeting in the pentagon....probably not. If not ,where did this story originate ??

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Afghanistan is a losers war, it’s a fact, it can’t be won
Trump was educated in a military high school so guessing that Pearl harbour story is a little exaggerated as well or the school was useless and taught nothing

Trump is a dick, don’t like the man much at all but he has certainly offered the US some hope with his policy. He will get in as president again based on what he has achieved so far.

He isn’t perfect, who has been

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Xcalibur254

Please release names and dates of conversations reported !!

+14 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage

Ahhhhh, the Washington Post...where journalists reputations go to die.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:30 AM
link   
There was heaps of winning in the Afghan war with the black market opium trade. Going to need to keep some security there to keep production going. I guess all the black market stuff does make it hard to keep the cash cow going. Perhaps if the pharmaceutical companies paid for their own security rather than letting the tax payer pick up the tab it might of worked out smoother.

All the heroin overdoses was causing some problems as well with the distribution.

+12 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
As a US Army veteran, I fully trust Trump to do what he needs to do.

I voted for him to tackle much needed issues. I'm not asking for a Military genuis and I could care less about the opinions and views of some author, have you seen Trump interacting with Military? He is all for them.

Being Military, there are two spheres at play, Enlisted/NCO and Officers. The phrase comes to mind,

"I'm not a Sir, I work for a living"

Officers regurlarly get bitched out, working S3 myself, I've seen it all the time.
As for Trump and his military knowledge, well that's why he has a staff. I served, but didn't exactly read all the histories of War and I'm sure there is still plenty to learn.

Being Military can be a good criteria, but isn't necessary, in fact some would shy from that as for fears of some authoratorian action.

Aside from your emotional jab at Trump supporters, the gist of this thread really boils down to what kind of Experience should a person have to maintain the most powerful seat in the world, with a focus on Military.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Kurokage
Trump thinks he is always the smartest person in the room

I think that his level of understanding of complex political and military alliances seems to be at the level of a grammar school child.

I don't think that he is the best person for the Presidency. I think that his game show rhetoric is popular with his base but it is too simplistic to run this country

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:14 AM
link   
As a us army and Air Force veteran I think trump is a horrible president. He has ignored the major issues such as the massive corruption and fraud that permeates our govt. IN fact, he should have devoted vast govt resources to one of the main issues of our time, the Epstein case, and all the pedos and rapists in govt that have associated with him. And he has directly exacerbated many of the key issues such as corporate predation on consumers and students. He has also ignored the coming economic collapse, and indeed has increased it with his tax giveaway that has inflated the stock market bubble.

As to whether he is worse than Obama, Bush, or worse than Clinton would have been, well that’s debatable. But he is far from good. And let’s not make allowances and excuses for his stupidity.

THE EMPEROR HAS NO BRAIN!

+1 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:17 AM
link   
almost all news outlets are politically bias. washington post is high up on the list. bringing up the fact that fox news does similar stuff for other side suggests that you know how bad washington post is but you dont care. trying to divert attention doesnt change facts. here is a nice list of 11 lies from 1 man at the post. www.dailywire.com...

+8 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Anything that Trump fans don’t like is fake news.

+13 more 
posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 09:22 AM
link   
I didn’t like Trump to start with, I voted against Hillary. I have grown to admire him, he has big brass ones and seems to fear nothing. I will vote for him in November and I will never vote for a Democrat again.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join