It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My First Dutch Oven Experience

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

I used to have a cast iron dutch oven but I gave it
to my son a long time ago.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

Yes I seasoned it but to be honest, I got little nervous because is my first time using it so washed just little bit with soap before using it. Didn't brush it, but now that I know, I'll never do that again.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: mamabeth

Funny I just told my son this thing is impossible to destroy and his children will cook with it when I'm gone.

It'll be Grandpa's pot.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: CynConcepts

That set looks awesome. I plan to buy one piece at time but looking to get a full set for sure. I want to use them on my YT videos soon

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Ironically, I just bought a new cast iron pan. A cheap one but even cheap cast iron does the eggs I remember from my grandmother as a kid. It's all but impossible to make good fried eggs without cast iron. I always thought it was nostalgia when I grew up and wondered why my eggs didn't taste the way they were supposed to. Because I was making them with stainless steel and olive oil instead of cast iron and butter.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Check out Academy Sports and Outdoor cast iron cookware and accessories. Most come preseasoned and the prices are really awesome. That set that came in the box includes zipper dust covers. The box makes an awesome storage and has handles to carry it. At less than $60, I was extremely happy!

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: CynConcepts
Check out Academy Sports and Outdoor cast iron cookware and accessories. Most come preseasoned and the prices are really awesome. That set that came in the box includes zipper dust covers. The box makes an awesome storage and has handles to carry it. At less than $60, I was extremely happy!

Thanks for that info. Checking it now, pretty good deals I must say !

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 01:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: BrianFlanders
Ironically, I just bought a new cast iron pan. A cheap one but even cheap cast iron does the eggs I remember from my grandmother as a kid. It's all but impossible to make good fried eggs without cast iron. I always thought it was nostalgia when I grew up and wondered why my eggs didn't taste the way they were supposed to. Because I was making them with stainless steel and olive oil instead of cast iron and butter.

A good point right there. I can found that cast iron can enhance simple and cheap ingredients.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 03:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Funny I just told my son this thing is impossible to destroy and his children will cook with it when I'm gone.

It'll be Grandpa's pot.

You are correct there sir. During the recent fires here our outdoors cabin burnt to the ground. Everything destroyed. Cinders and ash and melted metals. The cast pot was the only thing that survived intact. Must post a pic. I will today.

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Brushing it is fine, with a nylon brush and hot water, no problem there. It's when you add soap to the equation when the problems arise. The soap will strip off the patina in places, and you'll have spots which food sticks to. This can be aggravating to clean, and it only gets worse with time. The best bet is to season it properly.

It won't hurt to season it 2-3 times, it only gets better. But if you think you've damaged the part you've seasoned just wad up some tinfoil into a ball and use it like a scrubby to scrub the damaged area clean (it works amazing). If it's the bottom then do the whole bottom again. If it's on the side, then do the whole side again. Rinse really well afterwards and scrub really well with the nylon brush in as hot a water as you can work with. Then let it dry thoroughly. After it's completely dry, coat with a thin layer of veg oil or canola oil (you can also use grapeseed if you have it) inside and out. Turn it upside down (the upside down part is important) and put the DO on the lowest oven rack in a cool oven. Turn the oven on to 350F and let it bake for an hour or so. Without opening the door, turn the oven off and let it cool all the way down before removing the DO.

Do this a couple times and, voila'...you've got a perfectly seasoned DO which will last for decades!

Like I noted earlier, I take a grinder and special disc to my raw cast iron cookware when they're new, but you kinda' need to know what you're doing because a grinder can damage the cast iron if you're not careful. I usually buy the unseasoned cookware because I don't like the pre-seasoning Lodge and others put on (it's really not a 'seasoning' it's more of a coating, and it's rough). Plus, it's just going to get ground off anyway. I don't grind the outsides, only the inside cooking surfaces. And when I'm done they're as shiny as a mirror and as smooth as a baby's bottom. Then I season them. The result is a non-stick seasoning (patina) which is like Teflon on steroids, practically bulletproof.

edit on 1/18/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I'd strongly recommend looking into Lodge cast iron. The quality level is significantly higher for only a marginal increase in cost. Most Cabela's stock Lodge.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 03:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: bally001

originally posted by: Trueman

It'll be Grandpa's pot.

You are correct there sir. During the recent fires here our outdoors cabin burnt to the ground. Everything destroyed. Cinders and ash and melted metals. The cast pot was the only thing that survived intact. Must post a pic. I will today.
Kind regards,
Bally

WOW, just WOW. That's something to tell. Your pot says " I won't give up". Be proud to cook in it.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
The only problem with cast iron is the consistent attention it needs. Stainless still wins as far as ease of use. If you do the slightest thing wrong with cast iron, you'll regret it.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Your welcome!

And don't forget, you can flip the lid upside-down and use it as a wok.

Also good for scrambled eggs, bacon and hasbrowns.

There's a guy who makes a really nice accessory kit at www.campmaid.com
well worth the money.

And if you need some YouTube inspiration.

Outdoor cooking with Al

Simon a bloke in the woods

Both these guys are good on a dutch oven.

Enjoy!
edit on 18-1-2020 by Notoneofyou because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Very nice. My buddy offered to sell me one. Now that I read your post I think I will take him up on his offer. I think he wants like $80 for it but he says it's an antique one and is a top brand and high quality.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Notoneofyou

Yeah, you can tell how excited about this I am. I just want to have more pots and have fun cooking

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 06:34 PM
link   

The only problem with cast iron is the consistent attention it needs. Stainless still wins as far as ease of use. If you do the slightest thing wrong with cast iron, you'll regret it.

I actually consider the season and care as part of the fun. Maybe I'm from other time

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Stainless is great for cooking. But as I will later show, everything stainless here warped and was rendered useless. The cast iron survived and is cheaper. I took a pic this morning of the pot using my wife's surviving phone. The cast pot is atop of a stainless steel oven. The stainless tanks, accessories and propeller on and within my boat survived but they are all misshapen.

I used this pot/dutch oven in camping over red hot coals. It never failed me. I only have to clean it with a steel scourer. Rinse, then add a bit of spray on vegetable oil.

Kind regards,

Bally

edit on 18-1-2020 by bally001 because: comprehension

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

I lucked out!!

I had a choice of “gifts” for my 10 year anniversary at work. Not knowing any better, I chose a Le Cruset Dutch oven. The damn thing is worth 425$ US!!! It is a cast iron Dutch Oven encased in enamel. 9L.

Get one!!! It will change your life!

Style? Who cares! Manufacturer?? Don’t matter!

Cast iron. Brown, sear, add stock (all you seared and browned) back in... any soup, stew, or chili.

Braise ox tails, ribs, corned beef, etc., the best you ever had!!

I am a few months short of a year and wonder how I got along without it!!

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 07:46 PM
link   
a reply to: TEOTWAWKIAIFF

425 bucks are a lot of bucks, I checked their website. Those pots are artistic. They have pots of different shapes and colors. Clover, heart, pumpkin, flower....

You are lucky. Take care of it because one day it could be collectable.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join