It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump keeps touting how great the economy is but by what measure

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12
Yet still in far to many middle class house holds both husband and wife need to work just to get buy; And many still work 2 jobs. We do....

I quit my job to focus on school and my wife pays all the bills. We aren't saving but we are getting by. When I am done she won't have to ever word again though.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04

Trump brags the economy is the best its ever been. BS, not for the American working man!!

Actually the working man is reaping most of the rewards of the Trump economy. Most of the wage growth is going to the bottom 40%. Stop spreading fake news.

fake news?

www.forbes.com...

www.bbc.com...

I think I'll put my faith in actual revered establishment news and not a bunch of internet troll cultist.

Good luck with your life in the real world and not academia. Your wife sounds like a wonderful woman!

edit on 21-1-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Trump brags the economy is the best its ever been. BS, not for the American working man!!

Actually the working man is reaping most of the rewards of the Trump economy. Most of the wage growth is going to the bottom 40%. Stop spreading fake news.

fake news?

www.forbes.com...

www.bbc.com...

I think I'll put my faith in actual revered establishment news and not a bunch of internet troll cultist.

Good luck with your life in the real world and not academia. Your wife sounds like a wonderful woman!

I can't say as I would trust either of those source to deliver a complete set of facts if those facts disagree with their agendas. Do you have reason to believe them lately? Do you doubt they have agendas at this point?

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 05:12 AM
link   

a reply to: KnoxMSP

You don't compare the economy to the perfect economy, you compare it to what it was in 2015 and 2016.

Yes I can. I totally can. It's America.

When you're drowning, with just your nose and eyes above water, sure it feels great to find a little purchase in the sand with your toes to push off with, but you're still drowning.

I have kids who will be adults in less than a decade, I don't think in 4-5 yr terms.

edit on 22-1-2020 by KnoxMSP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

I can't say as I would trust either of those source to deliver a complete set of facts if those facts disagree with their agendas. Do you have reason to believe them lately? Do you doubt they have agendas at this point?

If you have sources with a different opinion and not agenda driven.

I'd like to see them...

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

You don't compare the economy to the perfect economy, you compare it to what it was in 2015 and 2016.

When you're drowning, with just your nose and eyes above water, sure it feels great to find a little purchase in the sand with your toes to push off with, but you're still drowning.

I have kids who will be adults in less than a decade, I don't think in 4-5 yr terms.

Americans by and large are not drowning though now. The bottom 40% are getting the biggest gains now, and we have the largest wage increases in history. You can blame Trump for the water being so high if you like, but it makes no sense since the drowning started before him and it's better now.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   

fake news?

www.forbes.com...

www.bbc.com...

Yes. Fake news. The article is about how bad the poor have it. Yet the fact is for the first time in basically forever the bottom 40% are getting most of the gains. Their wage growth is the highest.

Average hourly earnings rose 3.4 percent in February, the best increase since April 2009.
For the first time during the recovery, lower-end earners are getting more of the benefit, according to a Goldman Sachs report.

What has set this rise apart is that it’s the first time during an economic recovery that began in mid-2009 that the bottom half of earners are benefiting more than the top half — in fact, about twice as much, according to calculations by Goldman Sachs.

www.cnbc.com...

Trump did not create the problem that your sources talk about, but it is improving under his leadership and economy.
edit on 22-1-2020 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 05:53 AM
link   

originally posted by: KnoxMSP

Americans by and large are not drowning though now. The bottom 40% are getting the biggest gains now, and we have the largest wage increases in history. You can blame Trump for the water being so high if you like, but it makes no sense since the drowning started before him and it's better now.

Apparently you didn't read the whole thread, because I clearly said in my previous post that the condition we are in was inherited, and not his fault. He is trying to right the ship, but there are so many holes.

Also, kind of insulting for you to insinuate I don't know what wages are doing in the bottom 40%. I literally cater to the bottom 40% everyday, so I know how things are. I have a barbershop, with a low price, for blue collar people, my ear is to the street better than most.

I stand by what I said. Barely not drowning, is better than drowning. Our heads are above the water, but we should be surfing.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Not sure why we are arguing, all I said was we can't blame Trump because things are not perfect. We can't compare his economy to a perfect one to determine how well he is doing, we compare it to what we had previously.

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 02:50 PM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Trump did not create the problem that your sources talk about, but it is improving under his leadership and economy.

You criticize my sources, yet you make no effort to provide your own unbiased sources.

Believe what you want to believe and I will as well. I'll take Forbes over a lazy person

on the interwebs any-day.

Conservatives used to factor in the national debt into the overall economy. What happened?

www.concordcoalition.org...-13829
e dit on 23-1-2020 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 03:08 PM
link   
I know as little from surfing so I'll leave a little "hypothetical."

30th year into saving for retirement, with a widely diversified portfolio, and using a medium to aggressive mix of strategies to build wealth including some investment into emerging (world) markets led a couple to an 18-percent increase in total value in 2019 for a net gain of (nearly) the cash value of one year's full salary.

Still rocking the 10+ year old car, as well.

I've done a lot of different things to earn money, but I was never surfing unless I was at the beach (more like flopping, TBH). I only really caught a wave when I put money to work for me, instead of or in addition to (working), which -- near as I can tell, is true for any person who accumulates any degree of wealth and security.

I don't pretend to understand the markets, but the last three years has been very good for my family.
edit on 23-1-2020 by 0zzymand0s because: Edited out potentially identifying infos

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

I sourced CNBC, which is a progressive anti-Trump source. My quotes and source are quite clear.

posted on Jan, 25 2020 @ 12:40 PM
link   
a reply to: St Udio

its alot of gut preaction basically. A little back story. When I was 10, my dad was in a car accident, other persons fault. He crushed his leg. Was in Physical Therapy for 4 years as a result, and in the end got a nice payout. During that time frame he couldn't work for almost 2 years, multiple surgeries, etc. He just didn't heal right. Anyways, from 10 to 16 my dad made it mandatory I come home from school, do my homework- 3:30 to 4:30; free time from 4:30 to 5:55. Then I had to be home to watch the local news, followed by national news, followed by 2 hours of business news. We would then would track our fake investments we made. As an aside, my fake investments, I invested in Tech before the boom. I also invested in cement manufacturer in China. I'm something of a risk taker. Anyways, when I started investing with real money, (my money) I have always pulled a 15%+ return every year. Even in the bust cycles. You just need to move your money around till you know from safe to risky, and risky to safe. That said, keep an eye out as to what is happening in the world. The people in charge are egotistical. They like to subtly telegraph where they are sending money. As soon as you start hearing news about something, look at that sector. Who invested when, what firms, how much, etc. There is a good chance decision makers in government are already there. THEY are not going to lose money. Follow the money, try to be one of the first. Its alot of work, but like I said I have never went negative, and even in the years that suck, I still earned way more then others. The only thing to take me to the cleaners was an ex wife. (personal issues, not my investment strategy). It works for me. I can't say it would work for someone else, but I have never seen anyone pull the returns that I do; and if they did, I wouldn't trust them, cause I know how risky I am with my money, I wouldn't trust someone crazier
The best advice I can give is learn about and now your world. You never know what will happen if you live in a bubble.

Camain

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join