It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump keeps touting how great the economy is but by what measure

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Yeh the Mans just ""Perfect"".

Hence the impeachment process.

I mean you only do that to the best presidents.

It will all come out in the end, Trumps lies that is.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 09:50 AM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

Impeachment is meaningless. They can impeach him for drinking coffee. Impeachment is supposed to be for "High crimes and misdemeanors". There is not one single crime listed in the impeachment.

Literally one of the reasons for impeachment was Trump telling a witness not to testify when there was a court order for the witness not to testify.

Every single thing you say is a lie. You can't refute a single thing I have said, and I posted numbers and facts.
edit on 20-1-2020 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:07 AM
link   

Yes, its meaningless, which is why its happening. LoL

What will be meaningless is if he's allowed to continue in office or voted in for another term after he is found to be guilty as sin.

Good luck Forest you're going to need it in spades. x

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: andy06shake

He's going to be cleared and found not guilty. Try again. Literally everything you say is the opposite of the truth.

Imagine if you are told by the courts to NOT testify because you will be violating the law if you do, and then thrown in jail for doing what the judge said. That's what Democrats are claiming is justice. They are claiming to save Democracy the Constitution and the courts have to be ignored and everyone needs to do exactly what they demand. And somehow you are on board, speaks volumes of your character.
edit on 20-1-2020 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 01:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: ErEhWoN
Have you seen the stack of bills waiting on Republicans in the Senate to do their job?

You mean that stack of anti-American, Marxist, radical leftists garbage they passed to give people like you something to yammer about?

That stack of 'bills'?

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The company I work for is doing well, but it has nothing to do with Trump. However, his trade war with China did screw us pretty good. That hasn't worked out like he said at all. Pity he didn't account for the greed of American manufacturers of goods.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   
a reply to: fleabit
Perhaps this happened, but we need examples with backing data. Not some made up story of how your outfit stunk while 99% of the rest of business is booming with people working like never before. You have to be run by Bozo's to be losing out right now.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit
The company I work for is doing well, but it has nothing to do with Trump. However, his trade war with China did screw us pretty good. That hasn't worked out like he said at all. Pity he didn't account for the greed of American manufacturers of goods.

The entire economy is booming and somehow you think your company got no benefit from that. How does that work again?

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 02:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut
a reply to: dfnj2015

I think the national debt is a critical figure, too.

Well it might be - but check out the debt of every first world nation - they are all in just as much if not more than the US.

What you aren't getting is if one major country goes down due to debt they all do - It is a giant to big to fail issue - so they will not be allowed to fail due to debt.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 02:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

originally posted by: chr0naut

I think the national debt is a critical figure, too.

I don't think you understand how the debt total is calculated.

The US government isn't 22 trillion in debt. That total is the total of outstanding credit lines across the US. Anyone that has a credit card balance, car payment, or home mortgage is part of that number.

I personally contribute about 50k to the national debt, that's the amount left owed on my mortgage. Everything else I have is paid off and/or $0 balance.

You are dead wrong. Consumer debt is not in the national debt figure - that IS all government debt.

However - a big portion of it is Social Security money that was paid out.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 02:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: fleabit

I don't know what business your company is in - but regardless of whether your company was hurt by the trade war - overall it has absolutely been beneficial for the country as a whole.

Our trade deficit has shrunk greatly the last few quarters, and we have collected billions in tariffs.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 03:48 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Accept witnesses.

We will see what happens.

que sera sera.

""Perfectly"" guilty as sin is my guess. x

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

For those that have a 401K or something in a lifecycle account (low/moderate risk) the gains this past year have been substantial. Most are getting over 20% return over the past year which is unheard of considering during Obama the gains were not enough to keep up with inflation. Most of the time there were no gains. Many months I lost money.

One can say Obama inherited that mess which is somewhat true but he also did things that stifled it even more. He attacked Hillary on NAFTA for example in 08 but he did nothing about in in 8 years. Go watch the videos, all he talked about was NAFTA. People can hate Trump all they want but he actually did something about it. Is it perfect. No, but it's something. Same with China. This country has been leaking jobs and wealth like a busted fish tank for decades. People did not elect Trump on morale values either. They elected him because they were sick of the economy tanking.

for the Vanguard 5050 Target Retirement Fund for example

$1,000 invested Jan 1st 2009 was worth $1,438 at the end of Obama's 3rd term.

$1,000 invested Jan 1st 2017 was worth $1,357 at the End of Trump's 3rd term.

Does not count anY external fees one may have to pay to the 401k administrators/ adviser

investor.vanguard.com... mance/vfifx/cumulative-returns

Just a little dose of reality.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
To counter another poster, all investments accounts can have varied returns in ANY cycle depending on what it is invested in. Most people I know are very very happy with where their investments are right now.

As far as the economy as a whole in the workplace it have changed quite a bit. The tax cut was great and it will take another decade to recover from the spending and promises of the last 3 administrations but only if we keep moving forward like we are. Record breaking tax collection but if you make less than 15 an hour you really are paying no Federal Taxes. You will also get a nice return. A fair return...of YOUR taxes.

Jobs have returned and so have small businesses. One of the easiest markets is housing and manufacturing. I watched clients who had been in business 60-70 years shut down based on regulations infringed. Every dollar counts and when you have to spend 10's of thousands on 'compliance' it costs jobs. I know that in a year I have billed consulting that would equal a FT or 2 PT jobs to help them stay compliant. It was crazy. Now I see people hiring and competing with other companies for those hires. This was not happening during the Obama administration as they pushed dependence on government to get ahead not even just to survive.

USMCA...No TPP...No Paris Accord...No Iran Deal...China Trade Agreement...lots of manufacturing, QA and R&D coming home to the US. We do not need to be the same as the rest to be beneficial to them all.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   

LOL, if there's anything to go after trump about, it's not the economy. But I did get a kick out of this line:

I want to vote for Trump but there is just no reason to.

Do you think any person on this site believes you? You hate trump with every cell in your body. Sometimes rationally, many times irrationally.

The employment-population ratio is a positive. It's not unemployment-population. You must be reading this graph wrong, the number of people employed vs the population is the highest it has been since before the recession. IOW, more people are working! How is that a bad thing?

CPI has pegged inflation as very low. ~2%. Which is what the fed targets. Again this is a positive. I get that lefties have a very tenuous grasp on economics but these numbers you've posted are pretty self explanatory and not negative.

posted on Jan, 20 2020 @ 11:54 PM
link   
a reply to: sligtlyskeptical

Just a little dose of reality.

Look up the law of diminishing returns, to provide an actual dose of reality. Also a target date fund is an awful indicator. Use the S&P or DOW for your benchmarks. Comparing the returns butted up against the end of the great recession to the returns gained in an already "recovered" economy is moronic. Let me illustrate:

In the first 3 years of obama's first term the S&P was up 55% (because the recession ended)
The last 3 years of obama's term the S&P was up 25% (because that's all obama could squeeze out of it)
In the first 3 years of trump the S&P is up 45% (that's what good economic policies do)

Obama lucked into the bottom of the great recession happening just two and a half months after he was inaugurated. As we were all told, over and over during trump's first year "the first year isn't really the president's policies!" And I agree with that. Bush ended the recession and obama didn't screw it up enough to undo the end of it. They screwed it up enough to have the slowest economic recovery since the great depression but that was it. Trump took obama's slow growth economy and turned it into a high growth economy.

If you take a look at GDP growth, obama handed over a down trending economy (since 2014) and trump has reversed the downtrend. The last 3 years of obama the GDP went like this:
2014: 2.9%
2015: 1.9%
2016: 2%

Trump went
2017: 2.8%
2018: 3.0%
2019: 2.4% (for first 3 quarters, Q4 #'s not in yet)

I expect 2020 is going to be along the lines of 3%, maybe even 4% if the china deal all pans out how I expect.
edit on 21-1-2020 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

edit on 21-1-2020 by Dfairlite because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 12:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Dfairlite

Not sure the source you are using but world bank figures show

2014 2.5%
2015 2.9%
2016 1.6%

2017 2.2%
2018 2.9%

Estimates come in around about 2.1% for 2019.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 12:54 AM
link   
With the caveat that presidents have much less control over the economy than normally portrayed, however they do get blame/credit for whatchappebs under their watch.

Facts are Trump did inherit a good economy.

He has also done a good job on the economy.

These two things are not mutually exclusive.

Trying to portray it as an economic miracle or that the economy isn't really doing well are both equally obviously partisan and misleading.

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: ScepticScot

The magic wand moment....@3:00....

is a classic...because Trump did it.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9 >>

join