It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trump keeps touting how great the economy is but by what measure

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gandalf77

originally posted by: Justoneman

originally posted by: Gandalf77
We are indeed in the midst of a nice, sustained economic boom by most key measures.

The ironic thing is that all those numbers were trending in the right direction under Obama, but Trump tried to cast doubt on it before he took office.

Then, after he took office, and those same numbers from the same sources kept trending in the right direction, he started touting them. So somehow the data became more reliable.... Go figure.

I don't know about you but I watched Obama say QUOTE:
"Those jobs aren't coming back".

Now, did I not?

Some jobs aren’t coming back. Jobs come and go. Industries rise and fall. It happens. Doesn’t matter who’s in office.

Uhuh...

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: dfnj2015

With a National debt at over 100% of GDP and rising the American economy looks far from healthy , add to that the majority of GDP comes from services and borrowing the US economy looks fragile regardless of what the stock market is doing at the moment.

I'm no economist but there will come a point where the interest on that debt alone becomes unsustainable.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Wasn't he specifically talking about coal and manufacturing jobs because of renewable energy and automation though?

Can you link when he said it? Because I remember this but not exactly the context of what he was talking about.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 10:50 AM
link   
a reply to: Justoneman

Not for me and many others. I get great health care and got to keep my family doctor.

No harm in checking it out to see if it can work for him right?

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:13 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

If that's true a good fix would be that men start staying home and being the home makers.

Something i would be very happy doing. I just need to find me a women that makes good money.

I'm not being weird I honestly agree that the best way to live in america if you have a family is to have one adult work while the other takes care of the home. Doesn't mater to me which does which. But with both adults in a family home working the house stays dirty and the kids aren't taught the way they should be.
Basically the system we have right now in this country is that our jobs are our lives and we have little time for anything else. Unless , like me, we want to live poor.
I don't work a 9-5 5 days a week. But I also can't afford a car or health insurance (until the aca happened) or to live alone. Or new cloths. Or to go out and eat. Or to go to a club or bar.

But that's my choice to work less. I'm not complaining.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:16 AM
link   

We have had huge wage growth under Trump, largest in US history, and most of that growth has gone to the bottom 40%. You hate trump, you do not want to vote for him, you post crazy nonsense about him non stop with nothing positive ever.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:19 AM
link   
Don't know how you tricked everyone else but when I read you say "I want to vote for Trump"

GG mate. You got everyone.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Nyiah

I actually agree. I have no problem with women working, but the best scenario is one person paying the bills and one person caring for the family. The problem was men abused their place in that scenario. You are equal partners, you don't put your wife on a weekly allowance while you have full access.

Now we tell women they can do it all alone and have it all. Complete BS. You can't. Guess what, neither can men. Man or woman, every second you are working is a second away from your family, you do not get it all, you will always sacrifice one thing for another.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

What years under Obama did we have Emp-Pop ratio of 61+?
Hint: Never

We have it under trump. So you post 2 metrics, both of which Trump is crushing, and then you say Trump sucks. Yeah, you really want to vote for Trump, I see that.

Latest index
The national average wage index for 2018 is 52,145.80. The index is 3.62 percent higher than the index for 2017.
NWI
2015 48,098.63
2016 48,642.15
2017 50,321.89
2018 52,145.80

www.ssa.gov...

Want to know when we saw those numbers under Obama?
Hint: Never

We had stagnant wage growth of $550 in 2015 and $680 in 2016, Obama's last 2 years. We had $1700 and $1800 in Trump's first 2 years. The only difference is Trump. This is in spite of the turmoil he caused with his trade wars, which will benefit America long term, but hurt short term. Imagine if all he cared about was today's numbers, which is what every other president does. Instead Trump looked to the future, AND gave us incredible numbers today.
edit on 18-1-2020 by OccamsRazor04 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:25 AM
link   
a reply to: booyakasha

Been hearing that bull excrement since the 80's. What is the man keeping you from doing?

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
your post was interesting... but no discernable formula is evident/ discernable...reply to: camain

Trumps economy is the pumping of Repos for market speculation and the premise that Wall Street/NYSE... is the Last, pleasant smelling turd that's still in demand for the immediate Future.

i'm stll slimming my equities from the past portfolio of 12-15 blend of Stocks to 3 or 4 holdings (generally Food/Energy Utility /Global Cyclicals/ REIT)
I use DRIP's and Huge Mutual Fund as my transfer agent/ Brokerage Account...'Money Management per se

the demise of the US Dollar is not reasonably expected for at least a decade... and there will be time enough on the way down to sell my holdings in stocks & rotate into something else...

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Well, our economy has gotten better since he took over and is now more stable than it has been over the last twenty years.

I think he brags too much about it, but Oboma bragged about himself bringing our economy up too, and it did not even improve much with Obama, anyone could have brought it up after the crash when he took over, he actually did not do that great of a job for all our government spent...and wasted.... on some of his solution. Obama allocating money to those California companies that had poor management problems was kind of dumb. One did manage to line their pockets before declaring bankruptsy though, I suppose that is decent management strategy.

Trump's administration is doing ok, was better than if Hillary would have gotten in.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Economy praise or blame with presidents is tricky since congress decides most things in relation to federal spending and law.

Trump can claim what he likes, but I doubt he'd take blame if things went south.

The economy has certain things that seem to be doing better, but for the average person I don't think a lot has changed. We are seeing record unemployment, but things like inflation/purchasing power and cost of living seems to negate any strides.

I'd be hesitant to give Trump praise or critism on the economy though. For one, finding the important metrics is hard, typically I think partisans cherry pick for their motives.

For two, I don't see anyone with a plan to address the problems. So unless someone can present a plan on how to address debt, inflation, and other negatives without negatively impacting the middle class... I think it's just a buck that just keeps getting passed. So any politician who's heavily critical comes off as hypocritical to me unless they present a sensible plan to start tackling it (freebies with higher taxes don't do that.. At best it would offset, but it would most likely worsen it).

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The only thing the president does is inspire market confidence (or lack of confidence). When the market and employers have faith in the future, and the people have faith in the future, it's amazing what can happen, with no changes or input from Congress.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: CriticalStinker

The only thing the president does is inspire market confidence (or lack of confidence). When the market and employers have faith in the future, and the people have faith in the future, it's amazing what can happen, with no changes or input from Congress.

I agree to an extent. Stock markets sure (maybe you'll see quick growth, but that can change) ... But most other sectors plan way past one admin. Most don't start a business or expand based off of a president. Presidents, and their policy is temporary.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: chr0naut

I think the national debt is a critical figure, too.

Taken as a percentage of the total, which would be in line with how essentially all economic expenditures and debts are compared in this world of vastly different incomes, tax rates, and inflation, Trump has seen the second smallest percentage of debt growth (behind only Bill Clinton) of any US President since LBJ. Debt reduction would be ideal, but history would indicate hes done way better than the average in slowing down the runaway freight train 16 years of Bush and Obama shafted us with.

US Debt under Trump has always exceeded the wealth creation of the nation. Currently, it is at 106% of GDP. The entire US economy has been going backwards since his inauguration in 2016.

You can argue that it has only grown by a tiny amount during his Presidency (which is untrue overall) but it leapt between the end of Obama's Presidency and Trump's first year, and has stayed unacceptably high.

National Debt by Year Compared to GDP and Major Events - The Balance

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 11:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: mtnshredder

I used to be concerned about our debt but It doesn’t seem to matter to our gov, so why should it concern me? Our Democrat leaders (who we all pay very well) just spent three years not doing a damn thing besides hating our prez and spent millions upon millions of dollars to do just that. I’m not stressing on the debt, besides paper and ink are cheap, they’ll just print more and cook the books, so they can continue receiving their exorbitant paychecks, benefits and of course their lavish lifestyles they get to enjoy since they get months of paid vacation per year. Yep, not worried about it at all anymore.

The economy is generating debt faster than it is generating wealth. It is going backwards.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Didn't matter under the last president.

So WHY the EFF does it matter now ?

Ya know that guy that spent more than all the preceding presidents COMBINED.
a reply to: neo96

You contradict yourself in less than 5 posts.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 12:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vector99

I don't think you understand how the debt total is calculated.

The US government isn't 22 trillion in debt. That total is the total of outstanding credit lines across the US. Anyone that has a credit card balance, car payment, or home mortgage is part of that number.

I personally contribute about 50k to the national debt, that's the amount left owed on my mortgage. Everything else I have is paid off and/or $0 balance.

The national debt has exceeded GDP since 2016. Please read the links I have previously posted.

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 12:17 PM
link   

The only difference is Trump.
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Ummmm, did the Trillion dollar tax break given to corporations have anything to do with it?

How many businesses bought back their own stock in order to artificially inflate the stock market, because, well they get paid in stock. Why not take that trillion and pay ourselves.

And throw some crumbs down on the floor to keep the poors satiated.

Trump is NO difference, the difference is what the GOP did to this country, gave big business a cool Trillion.

And you and your children, and their children will pay for it.

Oh, and your wage increase was needed to offset the RECORD TARIFFS.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join