It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Weather app forecast discrepancies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:54 PM
link   
I keep an eye on the weather because I’m one of those people that like to be prepared.
When an ice storm is in the forecast I get my backup heat sources ready just in case the power is out.
The snow blower gets started to make sure it runs.
Anyway.
About a week ago I noticed the weather channel predicted 5-8 inches of snow Friday night.
Of course that far out the totals can change drastically so it is no surprise that local radio stations and news sites are now calling for much less snow total, 2-3 inches.
No biggie.

But I check my weather channel app every day and it still says 5-8 inches.
I don’t believe I’ve ever seen them so drastically different.
The app is usually very accurate.

Anyone else notice this or is this an odd example?

Sorry for the chit chatty post...
But it’s better than another mud pit topic...ha

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 10:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

It usually depends on what models they use - GFS, Euro, NAM, a Canadian one, and how many ensemble runs, how often plus their knowledge of local weather.

I have two sources I take as my primaries for weather: a local weather guy who really goes in depth on his blog and a YouTuber going by WeatherDirect. Both are usually pretty close to what generally will happen in this area. Places like Accuweather and TWC are no better than generally ballpark and often lag in making changes with winter forecasts especially.

YMMV

But on his blog, our local weather guy will often show how one model or another will completely favor inches and inches of snow will another will like ice and third puts the storm in some other part of the country entirely. He uses his blog to get into those weeds and explain other, more reactionary stations are forecasting 20" while he's still simply noting a chance something might happen. He spent today's blog explaining the warm layer that happens to create ice even though it's cold as heck outside, so we'll be getting lots of sleet tomorrow pre-dawn and all morning.
edit on 16-1-2020 by ketsuko because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I use NOAA and our local one with future track. Just computer models of the next 24 or so hours based on up the the minute raw data.

Im a weather freak.. I still have hang ups about living in a bowl on the gulf with hurricane bullseye on me in my childhood. Im landlocked at the moment, but still find comfort knowing when a cloud is passing overhead.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 05:48 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Unfortunately, its the opposite for me right now.
First I checked and we were supposed to only get 10 cm for Friday-Saturday.
Now when I check its 20-25 cm with 50km winds
I wish I was having your problem.

top topics

join