It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Wants to Grow a Moon Base Out of Mushrooms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Shroom Base

NASA scientists are exploring a peculiar strategy for building a Moon base and other off-world structures: growing them onsite out of living mushrooms. The space agency first considered the possibility of fungal space habitats in 2018, but now scientists are conducting tests to determine how well mycelia fungus might grow in Martian soil, space.com reports.

If the research pans out, it would allow future astronauts to construct off-world settlements without needing to carry expensive, heavy building materials with them all the way from Earth — a game-changer in the plan to colonize space.

Uh, how exactly do they plan on doing this?

Fungus Among Us

The idea is to ship dormant fungus to a Moon base and, once it arrives, give it water and the right conditions to trigger growth, according to a NASA press release. That would also require a supply of photosynthetic bacteria to provide the fungus with nutrients. Once the fungus grows into the shape of a structure, it would be heat-treated, effectively killing it and turning it into a compact brick.

Huh.! Did not know mushrooms could do that! Im curious and fascinated to see if this will be the way we colonize on another planet. I really like the 'natural' way of this.

“Right now, traditional habitat designs for Mars are like a turtle — carrying our homes with us on our backs — a reliable plan, but with huge energy costs,” lead researcher Lynn Rothschild said in the release. “Instead, we can harness mycelia to grow these habitats ourselves when we get there.”

F.Y.I ; You might want to keep the volume off while watching the video -- unless you dont mind the music.

Heres an article by space.com, if you'd like to know more about this.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: LtFluffyCakes96

Sounds like a good idea, if they can do it right.

I hope this means they also have a working spore drive.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Why aren't we building here on Earth with them?
I wanna Live in A Mushroom

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I watched a documentary about fungi and one of the largest and oldest organisms ... still alive.. is a "mushroom".

2,385 acres of Malheur National Forest, Oregon

www.nationalgeographic.com.au...

My mind was BLOWN. I also never knew how many things they can be used for besides food or medication. Its pretty amazing!

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Sounds pretty cool, but not sure how practical.
Shrooms are highly sensitive to growth environments.
Humidity, light, water etc...

If it were me, I'd be looking at lunar dust. No shortages there.
It's like processed concrete powder. Just mix with something like an epoxy, foam, or maybe even water.
Foam chemicals are very light and extremely strong, especially infused with other aggregates.
They already have concrete pouring machines that build an entire structure.

Cool article regardless.

edit on 1 by Mandroid7 because: Vid

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 10:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mandroid7
Sounds pretty cool, but not sure how practical.
Shrooms are highly sensitive to growth environments.
Humidity, light, water etc...

If it were me, I'd be looking at lunar dust. No shortages there.
It's like processed concrete powder. Just mix with something like an epoxy, foam, or maybe even water.
Foam chemicals are very light and extremely strong, especially infused with other aggregates.
They already have concrete pouring machines that build an entire structure.

Cool article regardless.

Pretty much they are looking for lightest materials they can use.. less weight means less thrust needed to escape and make it there in usable condition. Theres no way we could bring enough water for construction, but some think there are subterranean aquifers there. One plus with the fungi idea is that it can self repair. I dont know... sure seems pretty darn cool to me!

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Figures....they already feed us poop and keep us in the dark.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
a reply to: lakenheath24

As witty answers go that one is a classic, and actually very accurate indeed.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 07:30 AM
link   
I was fortunate to be first in with it as ATS has plenty of witty...err , smartasses to compete with.

a reply to: LABTECH767

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Pixies have been doing it for ever...

images.app.goo.gl...

a reply to: LtFluffyCakes96

top topics

join