It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS out or unreliable for next few days in Southeast US.....

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
We use gps all day for surveying and construction purposes...I suspect 100s of companies will be doing the same in the "affected area"? We depend on dependable output from any number of satellites at a given moment. We can't utilize data that may be out of our specifications. How could they flippantly suggest the output will be variable?

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets

No it's not. They've been shutting GPS off for training out west for similar sized areas for several years. It's not as cut and dry as portrayed though. Generally the outage doesn't affect ground level at all. The affected area increases as altitude increases. It generally doesn't start significantly affecting anything until several thousand feet.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Zrtst

Ground level signals aren't affected except around the actual jammer being used.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

50 feet AGL on that inner circle is pretty much as close to ground level without being in the ground you can get.

Otherwise, farther out, definitely only an issue at altitude.
edit on 1/16/2020 by cmdrkeenkid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:41 PM
link   
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It's really not as big an issue as it appears to be. The first time they announced it out west everyone freaked out, claiming all kinds of bad things were going to happen. The exercise came and went, and hardly anyone even noticed.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: cmdrkeenkid

It's really not as big an issue as it appears to be. The first time they announced it out west everyone freaked out, claiming all kinds of bad things were going to happen. The exercise came and went, and hardly anyone even noticed.

Is this the first one in the southeast?

My main concern was Hartsfield Jackson and my guess is Dobbins is part of the exercise from the traffic I have seen overhead lately.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

The first I'm aware of. There are other means of navigation for aircraft beyond GPS. It's the most accurate, but far from the only one. The airport probably won't even notice.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 09:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

The first I'm aware of. There are other means of navigation for aircraft beyond GPS. It's the most accurate, but far from the only one. The airport probably won't even notice.

Atlanta already has horrible drivers so I'm not worried about that...good to know about aircraft. Thanks!

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   

Oh, yeah. I'm not worried about it at all. Just being pedantic and pointing out that the inner ring is ground level for all intents and purposes. It'll come and go and nothing will be greatly affected.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe
The map is a pretty large area of potential outage for GPS....you are looking at 10's of millions of people.

Here is the hazard area for SpaceX booster and fairing recovery:

The blue dot is approximately where the booster will land,the green dot is for the fairings.

As you can see, it is very close to the military GPS jamming excersize.
edit on 17-1-2020 by jrod because: F

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The jamming will only be a few hours at a time on the days it's occurring. It's not a 24/7 event. It shouldn't affect SpaceX at all.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

I am aware, but this is a conspiracy site so I have to put the tinfoil hat on sometimes.

That said, if either Falcon9 has an anomaly this excersize may get more attention.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Also, last December in the same area there during the previous SpaceX Falcon 9 there was a Russian spy ship out there behaving 'erratically'. I think they wanted to get some intel on the SpaceX launch and booster recovery, though their erratic maneuvers maybe from too much vodka.

US accuses Russian spy ship of 'unsafe' maneuvers off US east coast for sailing with no warning lights, ignoring other ships, and risking a crash

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
a reply to: jrod

The anomaly will be if it isn't destroyed in the test!

The other, launching more Starlink satellites on Tuesday, will be the third flight of that booster. It previously launched last year both the Crew Dragon on its maiden flight and the RADARSAT constellation out of Vandenburg last year. I'm sure it'll go up (and down!) just fine.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: missed_gear

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Hmm... Paper Road Maps , Compasses , and CB Radios will come back in Vogue ?

A bunch of humor in such a comment!

Or one can just call my wife, I believe she invented GPS long before cell phones...right about Apple IIe time.....

mg

Well , I ALWAYS Know Where I Am Heading , but my Wife Usually Don't..............)

posted on Jan, 18 2020 @ 12:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: jrod
Also, last December in the same area there during the previous SpaceX Falcon 9 there was a Russian spy ship out there behaving 'erratically'. I think they wanted to get some intel on the SpaceX launch and booster recovery, though their erratic maneuvers maybe from too much vodka.

US accuses Russian spy ship of 'unsafe' maneuvers off US east coast for sailing with no warning lights, ignoring other ships, and risking a crash

here's a link without adblocker

www.militarytimes.com...

“This unsafe operation includes not energizing running lights while in reduced visibility conditions, not responding to hails by commercial vessels attempting to coordinate safe passage and other erratic movements,” the Coast Guard posted on its bulletin.

“Vessels transiting these waters should maintain a sharp lookout and use extreme caution when navigating in proximity to this vessel. Mariners should make reports of any unsafe situations to the United States Coast Guard,” the Coast Guard said in its safety message.

russkies constantly playing chicken at sea and in air with our guys. inevitable they'll push it too far and it'll get ugly

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join