It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GPS out or unreliable for next few days in Southeast US.....

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
This is interesting and I have never seen this before.

Source

GPS reception may be unavailable or unreliable over a large portion of the southeastern states and the Caribbean during offshore military exercises scheduled between January 16 and 24.

Kind of a really large area of folks that typically use GPS to knock out right? How is this going to effect travel of all means?

Starting a New Thread ?

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Thu Jan 16 2020 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 04:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Hopefully no impact to flights, although I'll keep an eye on it and see if it impacts me here in NC. Very interesting indeed.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 05:02 PM
link   
rumor on another site
intended to disrupt the Virginia gun owners protest

I don't recall a previous GPS outage. ever. for any reason.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Happens all the time out west, I’ve never had issues when the outages where scheduled. IMO It’s a CYA type of announcement.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 05:41 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero
rumor on another site

I'm in GA and can say I don't remember a outage before.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   
The only time I can remember a GPS outage was back in 2011, or maybe 2012, where a solar flare knocked out a good portion of of sats.
Our Trimble RTK base radio was fried and we needed to wait 2 days before the satellites got back up and running.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 05:44 PM
link   
The map is a pretty large area of potential outage for GPS....you are looking at 10's of millions of people.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Hmm... Paper Road Maps , Compasses , and CB Radios will come back in Vogue ?

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Tesla Autopilot?

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zanti Misfit

Hmm... Paper Road Maps , Compasses , and CB Radios will come back in Vogue ?

A bunch of humor in such a comment!

Or one can just call my wife, I believe she invented GPS long before cell phones...right about Apple IIe time.....

mg

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
There are 2 SpaceX launches planned, one being an in flight abort and the other for their Starlink network which the plan on landing the first stage on a barge that is near the bullseye on that map.

It will be interesting to see if this affects the booster landing. They have been stellar lately in terms of landing boosters, it would be a shame if they lost one because the military jammed their navigation.

That said, I would not be surprised if Boeing has some dirty tricks up their sleeve to sabotage SpaceX since they are getting owned by them in the American Space race. Boeing is one of the military's biggest contracters and it appears they will not be the first commercial contractor to launch people into space, unless SpaceX has mishaps in the very near future.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:47 PM
link   
I'm using good old common sense on this one. Nobody is knocking out GPS for roughly 15-20% of the country on purpose for training. People could die. 911 calls alone and response to those calls. It would be beyond stupid. I'm a recently retired military officer can say without a doubt, WORSE coarse of action possible for training.

THIS IS BS

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:52 PM
link   
This is not new and has been on ATS before. The military issues these warnings prior to certain military exercises because the exercises may include testing GPS and radar scrambling technology.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
This is not new and has been on ATS before. The military issues these warnings prior to certain military exercises because the exercises may include testing GPS and radar scrambling technology.

And that is the info left out; how long. Sounds like it won't be for extended periods of time. Training has a wake time and bedtime so that alone knocks out half the day. Then take into account when the training occurs, maybe an hour or so at best. It's not a big deal. And is this GPS for cell or sat or both. Are they really knocking out every GPS sat comm. I seriously doubt that is possible. Willing to bet if it's sat like Garmin forget it. They are not knocking that out. Likely just cell comms.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:14 PM
link   
a reply to: Stupidsecrets
It doesn't matter what kind of device it is, all GPS devices use the same satellites.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: Vasa Croe

originally posted by: ElGoobero
rumor on another site

I'm in GA and can say I don't remember a outage before.

Me too & I don't remember one either.

I used my GPS all day with no problems.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: AdmireTheDistance
It doesn't matter what kind of device it is, all GPS devices use the same satellites.

True. If it knocks that out it also knocks out phones. That's why I'm calling BS. It's not just GPS. It's all comms. I call BS. No military training exercise is worth that amount of grief. People will in fact die. 911 response would turn to dust.
edit on 16-1-2020 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

Map doesn’t cover Richmond, VA. So that kinda shoots that one down. Anyone from the south coming up without maps can use I-95 well enough to get there.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

That's why I'm calling BS. It's not just GPS. It's all comms. I call BS.

They do this out west a lot. Chances are no one will be without GPS. But it could happen, hence the warning.

True. If it knocks that out it also knocks out phones.

I don't think the sat is targeted. It is more like the GPS is being jammed with a stronger signal.

edit on 16-1-2020 by LookingAtMars because: add

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Message for the Bulldog.
Repeat. Message for the Bulldog.

Operation deviate the beer-truck is going live.

Repeat: Operation deviate the beer-truck is going live.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join