It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Virginia General Assembly votes to ratify ERA to U.S. Constitution

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: Xcalibur254

If this gives women the right to vote, then we're all screwed.

....women.....then we're all screwed.....Mmmmmm.....can't wait....I have a "load" to, ah, get off my mind....
edit on 15-1-2020 by M5xaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:14 PM
link   
Darn. See, I'm a raging liberal and was hoping this would give me the right to kill my kids after age 10 because they're such an unwanted burden.
Oh well, back to the drawing board.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Like Trump told the EPA, for every new regulation proposed and passed, 2 had to be taken away.
Pass a constitutional amendment and 2 are removed. The 16th and 17th amendments should be the first to go.
Take back control of our financial, monetary system from the robber-barons banks and Wall Street.

edit on 15-1-2020 by CharlesT because: (no reason given)

Get back on the gold standard before others beat us to it and destroy the dollar.

Qaddafi tried to do it in Africa and look what happened to him. China and Russia are accumulating gold for some reason. They are working on it, I assure you.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mach2

originally posted by: CriticalStinker

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: DBCowboy

It will allow for the 51st state to vote, the coming Moon or Mars colony.

Sad the new colonies still get to vote before Puerto Rico or Guam.

I guess that would depend if they acquiesced to payer their share of taxes, something the territories you mentioned have not agreed to.

They love the federal aid, but are not willing to pay the price for the right to vote. Don't make out like they are being being taken advantage of.

Equal taxes is fair...

There's definitely nuance to the situation... Are they getting taken advantage of? I don't know. They do have no (or little) taxation or representation. Couldn't tell you what that's like, I've always been a Murican.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   

LOL, sure DB. Next you'll be telling us they want jobs and to drive cars.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Don't be silly! Everyone knows you can't fit an oven into a car!

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:33 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyFromMichigan

Draft? Child custody and alimony? Small potatoes my friend. How about all the men that can now claim some serious back pay due to diversity incentives in the workplace?

The two worst Dirty Harry movies were when Diane Feinstein was the mayor of San Francisco. There is got to be a connection there.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   
S a reply to: Trueman

Not the same way my generation changed .

I sure you’ve heard the saying “I was a liberal until I started paying taxes “.

In the 80s because of Reagan’s economy it changed to . “I was a liberal until I started seeing big wads of cash “

I have very low hopes for the current crop of AOC’s wannabes .

Even if they see the cash from trumps economy they won’t care . Because they’ll be looking for a handout .

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Don't be silly! Everyone knows you can't fit an oven into a car!

But a car WILL hold home cleaning supplies....

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   
So is this just for wimmen? Or those who "identify" as wimmen too?
Next virginia will free the slaves.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 06:00 PM
link   

So, Virginia's newly minted state gubmint, in one of their FIRST moves in office...

was a ceremonial vote on a long gone ERA amendment?

I feel so much better.....

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 06:15 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

Well since they have zero hope of changing the Second Amendment and getting out alive, they thought they would go for a safe one first.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 06:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Ahabstar

And no doubt, these freshly minted COMMUNISTS will completely ignore those bandit raccoons robbing local banks!!!

After Midnight....

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 06:23 PM
link   
a reply to: JacKatMtn

The Watertower Park Militia stands ready. Though that kitten will hide behind the curb when the raccoon comes up the alley.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
Every American Citizen should have equal rights. It should be changed to state no laws offering special protections, rights to non-citizens or favoritism in admissions or job selection should be allowed.

If equal rights means equal pay for jobs then it should equal work out put. I did factory work for years and women got the easiest jobs for the same pay. Case in point we had a production line that made A-coils for HAVC some of the coils could weight up to 50 pounds, we never had a woman do the job then we got a vacuum hoist made the job a lot easier. First thing they did was put a woman doing the job, asked the manager why now and their answer was it was not gender friendly before. It was ok for the guys to bust their ass.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Bull#, what we have is a supposed sovereign nation state thinking that they can ratify the constitution without the Senates consent.

Which, I wont lie, puts that state, in new untamed waters!

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   

Most of the people who voted for this amendment back then are probably dead by now
I bet they are mostly still in office.
edit on 16amThu, 16 Jan 2020 00:50:42 -0600k45011216000000 by darkwingduck because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: BoscoMoney
Darn. See, I'm a raging liberal and was hoping this would give me the right to kill my kids after age 10 because they're such an unwanted burden.
Oh well, back to the drawing board.

Me too. I was for Doctors being able to kill the baby after birthing it against or with the wishes of the parents. I wanted to be able to have post birth abortions with my wife. Let her have the fun of pregnancy and delivery, then have it killed for thrills.

Joke to my liberal co-workers at the office that I'm sacrificing babies to Moloch.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: CriticalStinker

I really think they screwed up massively when they rejected the era to begin with. And. I remember when it was being debated back then. It was the same arguments as we hear now. But, women will be drafted, but women wont be able to hold themselves financially. Women are disadvantaged and need the extra boost. So, in the end, they threw women a bone and women were happy. They were offered the "freedoms" but in reality, were just trading one lord for another. Ya, they could ditch their husbands if they wanted.. and it was more acceptable for them to go into the workforce. Although, we still haven't reach parity to men when it comes to income. But women were thought to be too weak, too incapable, to share the responsibilities equally. They still needed a lord, she still needed to be a ward of someone. That someone became the state.
It took a few decades for them to finally decide to push for more parity in wages and enforcement of child support. And we still haven't found a way to achieve parity when it comes to child custody, child care, equal sharing of the household duties. Instead we have had the govt step in for those single moms that they have accepted the responsibilities for with a multitude of programs from wic to food stamps, to daycare.

The ERA was just words, and like our laws, in and of themselves really dont carry much weight. But the spirit that was behind those words, the desires of the women who have fought for the era amendments since practically the founding of this country might have put us on an entirely different path if they had been accepted in the hearts of the people and actually put into practice. I mean, that bone that was tossed to women back in the 70s came with a hefty pricetag. Must of been made of gold with a platinum plating!

What will be interesting is if the ERA debate gets tied in with the fetal rights debate... how do they explain giving a few cells within a womens body an ammendment protecting their equal rights while refusing to give women the same thing?

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Did they celebrate with fancy finger sandwiches? And free laundry service?

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join