It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unknown illness in Barbourville, Ky has college student quarantined

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Officials from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention are at the hospital investigating. The Kentucky Department of Public Health said in statement they are assessing any threat to the public, but it is believed to be low and protocols were being followed to prevent exposure to other patients.

“We want to assure Kentuckians we are aware of a potential infectious disease and are working collaboratively with the local hospital as well as local, regional, and federal public health authorities to determine not only a possible cause of illness, but any steps that need to be taken to protect the health and wellbeing of our Commonwealth,” the statement continued.

Union College student quarantined at Barbourville, Ky. hospital for unknown illness

At least it looks like it cannot be transmitted through the air and the hospital is still operating normally.

There also has been a recent mystery illness in China. In China it is a mysterious outbreak of pneumonia.

How China’s Mystery Pneumonia Illness is Different From SARS

I have not seen any info about what kind of illness this is in Barbourville, Ky. I think this is something I will keep an eye on. If anyone has any more info on this please post it if you can. I will continue searching this and post any more info I can find here.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Bring on the zombies!!! (hope the kid is okay though)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 01:35 PM
link   
If I had to guess it's going to end up being something like meningitis.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 01:56 PM
link   
I know the place well.

My informed bet would be it’s black lung complicated by fentanyl .

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Sounds like they are on top it, and following established protocols and guidelines.

Now the question is how many people and areas was this person in contact with, and how infectious is this?

Hopefully, no zombie outbreaks, and a speedy recovery.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Our immune systems have the ability to detect new illnesses and throw a response at them based on what similar illnesses we have experienced or from inheriting genetic programming from our parents. Now if you keep steering the immune system to target diseases that are not a real threat, it will not have the chemicals or diversity to look and evaluate other diseases as well. It is like putting a target up to shoot at but you cannot shoot the bear attacking you because you used all your bullets shooting at a target that was not a real threat.

There are chemicals in our food supply, some natural and some artificial, that can block our ability to properly respond to illnesses too. Innate immunity working properly is way better than antigen based immunity.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   
This sounds like yet another case of the "unknown virus" with Norovirus-like symptoms which caused every school in the Mesa County Valley School District to be closed around two months ago. It was the first time the school district has closed all of its schools, with over 40 schools closed according to this article. There was also a thread about it and the last update from the OP reported that test results came back negative for Norovirus despite officials being quite certain it was Norovirus. I would highly suggest reading through that entire thread because I share information about another similar mass-outbreak in schools that occurred back in 2011 which has strange similarities.

At first I didn't really think this case was related to those outbreaks, but then I looked up the symptoms of Ebola since they are reporting a lot of people seemed to think it was Ebola but apparently the tests came back negative for that. The symptoms of Ebola include flu-like symptoms along with gastrointestinal symptoms and nausea, basically the same type of symptoms as Norovirus, and the precise symptoms displayed by this "unknown virus" which has closed hundreds of schools. I could be seeing connections that don't exist but it's also possible this is some type of new virus which disguises its self as a common gastrointestinal virus. Just the sheer number of times I've seen this "unknown illness" reported with these exact same symptoms is unusual.
edit on 15/1/2020 by ChaoticOrder because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
It's a stretch to think this is related to the mystery pneumonia in China without demonstrating some link between this kid and the seafood market in China where that illness broke out. They've just now identified one case outside that specific cluster in one other Asian country.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Looks like it may turn out to be nothing.

There is no threat of any infectious disease, according to Maisie Nelson, Director of Communications at Union College.

Initial reports stated that the student athlete was quarantined with a hemorrhagic fever and that while the student athlete did not leave the country over winter break, he did have family members visit him from overseas.

Tests come back negative for quarantined Union College student athlete

Glad it looks like the student will be ok.

Hard to trust the media though.

edit on 15-1-2020 by LookingAtMars because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: LookingAtMars

There is no threat of any infectious disease, according to Maisie Nelson, Director of Communications at Union College.

Initial reports stated that the student athlete was quarantined with a hemorrhagic fever and that while the student athlete did not leave the country over winter break, he did have family members visit him from overseas.

It is not the media .
It is most likely the CDC's report to Kentucky HHS.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

What I find quite interesting about that report is that they neglect to provide any sort of diagnosis, implying they're still unable to determine what made the student sick, all they know is it's not any infectious disease that they're tests are capable of detecting. The fact he didn't have a rare disease also means he wasn't experiencing a hemorrhagic fever, it was just a fever with an unusual mix of symptoms. I'm not saying there's a reason to worry, the student will most likely get better within a week if he has the same mystery virus that has closed schools. However I would like some real answers for once, I cannot help but feel like someone is trying to hide something.

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

Add to that bacteria that have become antibiotic resistant due to contamination of soil, water, and food by irresponsible dumping of waste products from irresponsible, greedy maufacturing, and we have a nightmare far greater than zombies hovering on the horizon.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: LookingAtMars

Union College student quarantined at Barbourville, Ky. hospital for unknown illness

At least it looks like it cannot be transmitted through the air and the hospital is still operating normally.

There also has been a recent mystery illness in China. In China it is a mysterious outbreak of pneumonia.

I'm confused.

So a child has gotten sick in KY with an unknown illness.

So what? Why is this news?

Is he dying, or speaking in tongues, or something else out of the ordinary?

Children get sick all the time with unknown illnesses. I feel badly for the child, but neither of the news articles give any reason for this level of "fear".

Did I miss something? Is it simply case of "Elvis Presley is still dead" syndrome or just a slow news day in KY?

I'm a little perplexed...

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks
Bring on the zombies!!! (hope the kid is okay though)

Target the head, it's the only proven way....you have to cut the head off, otherwise they will come back.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

It is not the media .

"according to Maisie Nelson, Director of Communications"

A Director of Communications not part of the media, OK Skippy.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Riffrafter

There were rumors on some sites it was Ebola.

I think that is something to keep an eye on.

posted on Jan, 16 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   

a reply to: Riffrafter

There were rumors on some sites it was Ebola.

I think that is something to keep an eye on.

Or Marburg hemorrhagic fever... not as " hot" cousin of Ebola.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 03:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

It is not the media .

"according to Maisie Nelson, Director of Communications"

A Director of Communications not part of the media, OK Skippy.

Wait , what ?

top topics

join