It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GOP senators reject plans to dismiss Trump impeachment

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

WASHINGTON (AP) — Senate Republicans signaled Monday they would reject the idea of simply voting to dismiss the articles of impeachment against President Donald Trump as the House prepares to send the charges to the chamber for the historic trial.

“I think our members, generally are not interested in the motion to dismiss. They think both sides need to be heard,” said Sen. Roy Blunt, R-Mo., who is part of GOP leadership.

Looks like maybe Nancy's play to delay the impeachment trial in the Senate may have bore some fruit. She may be despised, but she ain't dumb.

Trump suggested over the weekend he might prefer simply dismissing the charges rather than giving legitimacy to charges from the House, which he considers a “hoax.”

It was an extraordinary suggestion, but one being proposed by Trump allies with support from some GOP senators, including Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

But it is clear McConnell does not have the votes needed from his GOP majority to do that.

One key Republican, Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, said she too would oppose a motion to dismiss the charges.

Collins is leading an effort among some Republicans, including Sens. Mitt Romney of Utah and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, to ensure the ground rules include plans to eventually consider voting to call witnesses.

“My position is that there should be a vote on whether or not witnesses should be called,” Collins said.

I would love for there to be witnesses, and for a verbatim transcript to be released. Put to bed all the misdirection coming from those on the right, and maybe clean the swamp of the crook(s) in office. Interesting to see the magic number is 51, not 66, as a simple majority is required to set the rules.

www.yahoo.com...

Even if they don't do what's right, Bernie will kick his ass in November! FEEL THE BURN!

+11 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:34 PM
link   
We still talking impeachment? Wake me up when it's over. Just the word puts me to sleep these days.

+17 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: ErEhWoN

There was always going to be a trial, because to dismiss it out of hand would give ammunition to the democrats where they could just say that it was partisan on the side of the republicans.

They'll hold the trial, look at the evidence provided by the democrats, then vote on it.

There won't be any further investigations nor new witnesses simply because it is not the job of the Senate to determine if impeachment is necessary.

That was the job of the House and their actions have already concluded that impeachment was necessary.

The only job of the Senate is to now determine if President Trump is to be ousted from office for the crimes determined by the House.

+7 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Harry moving to Canada had more air time today than the impeachment of a US president.

Feel that Burn....

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:52 PM
link   
OP, why are you referencing RINOs as a stopgate? Especially from an article with emotionally heavy language, such as the title of this very thread, "GOP Senators reject plans to dismiss Impeachment", which is techically not true at all.

Infact, the Article even alludes to a Trump victory,

**Republicans control the chamber, 53-47, and are all but certain to acquit Trump.
et al.

Secondly, Pelosis watched and took advice from a CNN episode inregards to impeachment, this has nothing to do with it, at all.

However, considering the OP may be a low info voter, I think a brief synopsis is on order.

Essentially, *Sen. Susan Collins of Maine is leading the charge to gather all RINOs and try to get some ground rules in that'll keep the impeachment hoax running.

Collins is leading an effort among some Republicans, including Sens. *Mitt Romney of Utah and *Lisa Murkowski of Alaska, to ensure the ground rules include plans to eventually consider voting to call witnesses.
“My position is that there should be a vote on whether or not witnesses should be called,” Collins said.
et al.

We already know the usual players, this is and was expected.

+3 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

but she ain't dumb.

Dumb?....no. Deceitful, delusional and lacking of anything that resembles morals, ethics and integrity? You betcha.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:59 PM
link   
The POTUS himself has said bring on the witnesses. If there was something major it would have been brought out already. If there was anything major he would not have been elected.

The US needs to redeem itself and it should by bringing up all of the swamp during this trial. All of them. Let them have to answer questions. Let the world see that they are bs.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You know you just based a thread off of a "glorified headline" , don't you ?
The only Senator mentioned is Susan Collins
Questionable at the least....
Susan Collins is truly a RINO
More likely than not , she votes Democratic Party lines.

As far as the rest , did you even read the article ?
Most are pushing to hear both sides.
Know why ?
Pelosi does not want ANYONE heard from as that would destroy her coup attempt.

Denying ignorance .
Why ?
Why do folks continue to take glorified headlines and run with them ? Read the effin article.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I wonder what Hunter will say, under oath

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:06 PM
link   
The senate can call some witnesses that were ignored by the house and also, if this trial occurs, anyone who actually lies, including candidates and congressmen and congresswomen can be charged with crimes. I want to hear more facts, not opinions and heresay like I saw in the House for their kangaroo impeachment court proceedings.

Conveniently the judicial commitee head did not have to lie about things because his wife had a one day medical emergency. I would bet she will have another medical emergency when he is called to speak under oath in the Senate.

The Senate is a trial, it has to follow the law. Both sides need to be able to give evidence in a legal proceeding. I hope that the Senate petitions the court to get records of the secret meetings by the house and I hope that they call in the court system to investigate wrongdoings by Schiff and Pelosi and some others from the house.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
For the record, Pelosis is incrediy dumb for taking advice from CNN in regards to the impeachment articles.

Also, its "Bern", "FEEL THE BERN!", not literally "Burn", jesus I know you people can't meme, but you couldn't even get your own Berni meme right 😒🙄

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Lets have the trial!

Call all witnesses up - ESPECIALLY the ones Schiff didn't want questioned.
Question Schiff
Question Biden
Question Burisma
Question Eric Ciamella
.. to start!

Once the Bidens corruption comes out
Question Kerry's son
Question Pelosi's son

Then ask Nancy how impeachment is going

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:27 PM
link   

The RINO's are as much lying treasonous Marxist, USA destroying globalist idiots as Pelosi, Schummer, Schiff et al. May they all be tried for treason at GITMO & punished to the max accordingly.

Alice's rabbit hole is too tame for a description of the convoluted bizaarro absurd nonsense the DEMs are perpetrating.

I read a bit on the Washington Compost on my phone today. Full of brazen lies. Outright brazen lies. I'm uninstalling the Marxist rag.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: visitedbythem
I wonder what Hunter will say, under oath

Having sat in the HRC class of how to respond to legal questions, he'll likely say:

"I don't recall" 500 times.

edit on 1312020 by JoseGarcia because: too much hyperbole

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:34 PM
link   

ha the real burn will be when Bernie gets kneecapped again by the DNC and they take all his hard earned donors lunch money and hands it to scratch and sniff Biden or who ever else is the chosen one this time

we always knew a trial was gonna happen but now the ball is in the republicans court

also depending on how long the trial takes Bernie and warren may have to miss the next few debates(not tomorrow) and possibly Iowa caucus because they will need to be present in senate chambers for this sham of impeachment that quite literally every one knows isn't going to result in his removal,rhinos aside the RNC is not gonna kill its golden goose less then a year before an election even VOX thinks trumps gonna be re elected and the republicans are gonna hold on to the senate

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I doubt the Republican senators will try to protect Trump. They will let the trial take place and witnesses appear. Expect a full on Kavanaugh style of endless witnesses called by Democrats. Schiff will never be called even though he made himself a special prosecutor. He will never testify. They may be able to call the IG and depending on his testimony they just might call the whistle blower. They could definitely call Lt Vindeman and ask him the questions that Schiff wouldn't allow saying it could lead to exposing the "whistleblower". Which is kinda weird since Schiff (supposedly) has no knowledge of who the whistleblower could be. The most telling part to me is that Nadler held a Impeachment inquiry vote in his committee before the Ukraine call even took place. It was in August that seems to fall between the cracks.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:23 AM
link   
The plan is to dismiss the Impeachment Articles if Nancy does not send them to the Senate within 30 days of House passage.

thehill.com...

The House passed the 2 articles of impeachment on December 18th.

When Nancy learned of this, she said she'd get them over the Senate prior to January 18th.

But for all we know, Pelosi may be crazy for real, and come down with the Blue-Flu, or a fake "family emergency", and miss the 30 day deadline.

Few people believe this, but she really does want Joe Biden to win the Iowa caucuses. That creates momentum in fundraising, media attention, and overall candidate inertia.

Keeping Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren in the Senate Chamber ahead of the Feb 3rd Iowa Caucus will assist Joe Biden quite a bit.

edit on 1/14/2020 by carewemust because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:26 AM
link   

Pretty sure Trump is saying bring it on donkey kong. if they had something the would have pulled another Blaise Ford out of their azzes a long time ago. Now they are in cover their azz mode.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:33 AM
link   
a reply to: putnam6

They want to be able to call Mulvaney and Bolton. They also want to draw this out so they can maybe win the court case to get the Mueller grand jury and raw evidence released.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

I don't trust the gop senators at all. There are more than just Democrats involved in this money laundering scheme by Hunter, Burisma and Rosemont Seneca. Pretty sure Lindsey Graham has a hand in this too. He was all about a dismissal. Then seemed to be uncomfortable when it looked like the Senate would call witnesses. And was pressed by Sean Hannity.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join