It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who lives, man or dog?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:03 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape
a reply to: CthruU

which part of :

you can save only one

do you fail to comprehend ????????????????????

that is the entire point of the thought experiment

its not an exersise in problem solving - ie your absurd notion of tying man and dog together

and lastly - drop the ad hom bollox

So as part of the hypothesis assessment you don't think the thought process should include -
Why can i only save 1?

Logic would suggest that due to the fact the building is burning there could only be one attempt at entry before the building cannot be entered.

It is a "thought experiment" do you understand what that means. Clearly not, "if you still do not understand this - google is your friend"

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:25 AM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

i would save the man doesnt matter what kind of human being he is. could be a racist. to choose the dog would be an act of inhumanity.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   
You can’t expect a person to choose their non human child (dog) over a unknown man. They can become your kids, if you have the heart for it.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:22 AM
link   
One of the responsibilities that I have had over the years was a hypothetical of in case of a fire to not open the sealed fire doors in order to compartmentalize the smoke. That is to say: allow others to die to keep others out of danger. Added twist of the knife was that I could indeed override the doors and open them even during a fire when others could not.

It was a hypothetical. And the closest it ever came to practice was that some nurses burnt popcorn in a new microwave and that smoke triggered the doors. And I can tell you that “little bit of smoke” made the decision easier if the hypothetical was put to practice. People on the wrong side of the door were indeed going to die despite my every fiber wanting to breech to rescue them.

As for me personally. I have entered an enclosed space and put out a propane tank whose rubber line had cracked and was on fire before. The space was enclosed with plastic sheets around a scaffold. After the fire was out, I was indeed suffocating from the smoke and disoriented. Almost stabbed a fireman that arrived as I cut my way out because he tried to grab my hand to pull me out. Seeing me press against the plastic to find my way.

As to this question. Still a tough call since I don’t have a dog. But it would probably come down to which I could successfully rescue by my estimation. All things equal, it would probably be the person. Unless there was a circumstance in which the dog was helpless but trying and the person was hopeless and not trying, like kick some burning boards out of the way to clear a path for the dog or something while the person was suicidal or paralyzed with fear. But fear can be distracted by getting them to help me help the dog.

Good question, but lacks deeper details that makes the decision easier. But I’d say person first then animal. You can always beat the hell out of them later if they deserved to die in the fire.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:39 AM
link   

"Your favorite pet and a grown man you don't know are trapped in a burning building. You can only save one. Who do you choose?"

Stranger danger right?

I hate these kinds of questions because in the heat of the situation you never know what you would do.
You know that same question, if your spouse or kids were drowning which would you choose? Well I had a family member
that had to decide.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:10 AM
link   
I'd choose the dog I know and love. The unknown human is responsible for themselves, and probably caused the fire.

I'm not a firefighter trained to make the human call, but I imagine most people that say they chose the human are just trying to look "proper" to their social media cretin friends.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Kobayashi Maru test.

I'd install a sprinkler system ahead of time and save both.

(DB for the WIN!)

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I'd choose the Dog. Humans are overrated!

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:48 AM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Here’s a real life no win situation the Komagata Maru Incident.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
The question was.
"Your favorite pet and a grown man you don't know are trapped in a burning building. You can only save one. Who do you choose?" ...

Did anyone choose C: the building ?

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   
WHat if the human was your ex and the dog was a mangy dog with worms?

For me it would be the dog. A dog cant sue you for dropping him or whatever humans sue other humans for these days. Hell, you cant even stop at a serious traffic accident without thinking twice and wondering if your auto insurance will cover you getting sued for being a good Sammy.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 11:56 AM
link   
All I had to read was the thread title.

Dog. I'll always choose the dog.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join