It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who lives, man or dog?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
a reply to: Nyiah

The circumstances of the question was not the point.
Let me ask it a different way.

If you had a choice to save a human being or your favorite dog at absolutely not risk to yourself, which would you choose?

The pet, who is much more likely to freeze up in their panic. The human is more than capable of letting flight override the fright and flee the flames.

And since you already went there with disability, I'm going to lump in unconsciousness and still say THE PET. Most people cannot move an unconscious or otherwise non-ambulatory person 2 feet on a couch, let alone out of a smoke-choked building while breathing smoke under extreme exertion.
I'm not willing to risk high death odds on a long shot.

Edit: And I will not consider this as risk-free magic, because you'll never get an honest answer out of someone if there's no risk.
edit on 1/12/2020 by Nyiah because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:50 PM
link   

You’re right.
It’s impossible to get a straight answer out of people.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:55 PM
link   

The circumstances of the question was not the point.
Let me ask it a different way.

If you had a choice to save a human being or your favorite dog at absolutely no risk to yourself, which would you choose?

Very simple for me with no doubt. My dog.

People I don't know die every single day. My dog doesn't.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:00 PM
link   

You’re right.
It’s impossible to get a straight answer out of people.

Nah, it's possible, but you have to remember our own self-preservation drive/drive to preserve what is ours. You're going to get two completely different answers from the majority of people regarding saving strangers here -- one being a ego-patting lie, the other being the truth where risk in involved. And the truth is, most people don't want to admit they wouldn't play hero, because it looks bad to admit as much.
Peer pressure, it's a bitch that can persuade us to do all kinds of stupid stuff, like pretend we're trained firefighters that know what we're doing when we honestly don't.

And for whatever it's worth, I'd have to highly consider how the fire is spreading before I'd run back in for pets, or even my kids. I've been in an apartment building fire myself, those blazes move damn fast, and overconfidence coupled with ignorance of the nature of fire is a killer (pardon the cliche) ALL it takes to be uttered effed is just a few minutes. That's all it takes.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:04 PM
link   
a reply to: Bluntone22

Save the human of course...

Unless the animal is a 'fur-baby' - then of course, the 'baby'...

/sarcasm

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:18 PM
link   

Saving the pet.
No second thoughts.
No guilt.
Next question.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 12:05 AM
link   

Where is all of this ATS talking about love your neighbor?

I guess it has changed for many.

It is getting very hard to love everyone in this sick world.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Buncha cupcakes.
I'd drag them both out by their scruffs, then bitchslap the weird cat guy that wrote this scenario up.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I'd be curious if the question had your favorite pet and a unknown woman?

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:49 AM
link   

circumstance often is the point - interesting statistics [ from UK ]

every year - there are fatalities in the UK from :

persons dog // family member gets into difficulty in water [ usually coastal ] - person attempts to save dog // family themselves - person gets into difficulty - person dies .

now a big part of the reason they die - is impulse - they have no plan / equipment / training or back up

when " 3rd party MOPs [ members of public ] - attempt intervention - they are more often successfull and die less frequently

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   

This is quite possibly the stupidest question I've ever had the misfortune of addressing -

The man is the only answer, you rescue the man and the dog follows. Simple.

Now - if the question included that the dog was injured/incapacitated and could not walk then you tie a rope to the dog from the man and drag it along but it does not so i can only assume the dog is mobile. The man is clearly not mobile or he would save himself.

Some people have way to much spare time to dream up trash like this.

I know the OP will not find offence as OP already stated it's a third party question.
edit on 13-1-2020 by CthruU because: 1

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 05:17 AM
link   
a reply to: CthruU

its distressing that people fail to comprehend that this is :

a " thought experiment "

if you still do not understand this - google is your friend

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ignorant_ape

its distressing that people fail to comprehend that this is :

a " thought experiment "

if you still do not understand this - google is your friend

It is indeed distressing that you don't recognise that my answer is exactly what the experiment would hope to see emerging - a consequence of not realising exactly what i posted would mean that individuals are incapable of multi tasking their thought process concurrently causing imminent death of a soul in this particular "thought experiment."
So the implications of the mental assessment in this hypothesis not coming to my post conclusion is imminent death.

"If you still don't understand this," - simpleton. Again.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:14 AM
link   

which part of :

you can save only one

do you fail to comprehend ????????????????????

that is the entire point of the thought experiment

its not an exersise in problem solving - ie your absurd notion of tying man and dog together

and lastly - drop the ad hom bollox

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:28 AM
link   

I'm saving my dog over the unknown guy. Hell, I'd even save my dog over some people I actually do know.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:44 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I find that rather sad..

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I also have to go with the dog, but if it was the dog or a child, I would choose the child. I would go after the more helpless.

How about if it was your brand new puppy or the neighbors new born child?

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:55 AM
link   

I find that rather sad..

Yup, it is sad that there are human beings I've met with little to no redeeming qualities.

edit on 13-1-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Dog.

I don't feel the need to justify that. Dogs just are better than people. As companion in a mutual relationship dogs don't strategise, or a have a goal they're pursuing, except very basic I want a good doggy life stuff in the backs of their heads, you get what you see.
That's why the dog is worth more to me than humans. Honesty.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:00 AM
link   
The true answer is that not one of us really knows until faced with the situation in question.

As for me, death in a fire for anyone, human or animal, is the very worst thing I could every want to imagine, and when I read this, I have one of my babies who has decided I'm "his" preferred person, provider of laps and all things good, purring away on my lap as I type, snuggled into the crook of my arm.

You're asking me to betray that innocent love and trust to the worst kind of death I can imagine.

Human life is important, yes, but when you set this up, those are the knowns you're pitting them against.

Horrible death. Known pet. Random stranger. Situation know one actually knows what they'll do in until they really are faced with it.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join