It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

100 year old Father of 800 sets off to save an island

page: 1

join
share:
+3 more 
posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Diego the tortoise was taken from the Galápagos Islands in the 60's as one of 14 male tortoises taken for a breeding program to save his species , he was kept in a breeding program on Santa Cruz Island ,California .... free love man.

Now Diego the giant tortoise has been returned to his island after siring an estimated 800 baby tortoise's , well done Diego a life well lived and at just 100 many years of happy siring to come.

Aww , he looks just like his dad.

Around 50 years ago, there were only two males and 12 females of Diego's species alive on Espanola.
To save his species, Chelonoidis hoodensis, Diego was brought in from California's San Diego Zoo.
Diego is currently in quarantine before his triumphant return to Española, considered one of the oldest parts of the Galápagos.
www.bbc.co.uk...

Diego

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 11:55 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex

Aww , he looks just like his dad.

😂.. love a good tortoise feel good story.. thanks for posting 👍🏼

I hope he feels like the rock star he is in the tortoise world !

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:02 PM
link   
I love it! That is rad. Lets hope a rogue plastic straw doesnt bring down this giant. Yup, I went there. Im sure this turtle has a tracker on it so one could follow his journey if one felt so inclined.

The article went on to say that he may have sired 40% of the Galapagos Tortoises that live there today.

Oh, and it’s Santa Cruz Island Ecuador.
Charles Darwin Research Station
Research institute in Puerto Ayora, Ecuador.

edit on 11-1-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2020 by TheAlleghenyGentleman because: Just some tortoise talk

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:19 PM
link   
a reply to: TheAlleghenyGentleman

He's like the Genghis Khan of tortoise's , but without the murder.

edit on 11-1-2020 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Without the murder or the credit of the hamburger patty.

Diego tortoiseseed?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I just hope he has not forgotten how to survive in the wild...

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Lazarus Short

Only humans and disease are this tortoises natural enemies now. It will be fine. I mean it may have to zig and zag some plastics but don’t we all......

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:53 PM
link   
God speed sex tortoise.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Absolutely loved this story! Amazing how they live so long. Well now his breed can journey on into future years thanks to Diego saving tortoisekind.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Man. At first I thought "what island is Gene Simmons off to save?" but then I was pleasantly surprised ito find it was a turtle. What a great story.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Maybe these two should get together!

Nigrita is an 80-year-old Galapagos tortoise that lives at the Zoo Zürich in Switzerland. She also happens to be making a big difference for her endangered species. Nigrita laid her first eggs this year. Most species don’t live to be 80 years old, let alone give birth at that age, but for her species, it’s quite normal!
WhiteWolf

What a girl!

Nigrita is currently part of a breeding program at the zoo, which makes her nine hatchlings all the more special. It’s up to tortoises like Nigrita to ensure the survival of her species.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Wow......

What a #er.....

new topics

top topics

join