It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the belief in god considered a mental illness ?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 08:56 AM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Actually, that isn't true. Colors do exist outside of our brain. It has to do with how wavelengths of light are reflected or absorbed by different types of matter. That would happen regardless of observation by our monkey brains. After all, the universe is and functions as it does.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

originally posted by: Raggedyman
And all those atheists who killed millions and millions based on a political/philosophy, mentally ill?
Can’t just say believers when non believers do the same thing

What was the first thing that was believed?

And what requires no belief whatsoever?

You might want to form a logical and clear question

Stalin about 60 million died and he was an atheist forcing atheism
Mao, about 100 million and he was forcing atheism on his society

Who is the ones with mental deficiencies was my question.

Atheism has its own beliefs enforceable by death squads, history, clear beliefs and proven
Such a dumb answer

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Actually, that isn't true. Colors do exist outside of our brain. It has to do with how wavelengths of light are reflected or absorbed by different types of matter. That would happen regardless of observation by our monkey brains. After all, the universe is and functions as it does.

There is nothing colorful about light waves, it's just photons vibrating at different speeds that our eyes catch and that our brain translates into the different colors we know. Colors don't exist outside of our brains. And I am not even mentioning the whole spectrum of light that our eyes are unable to catch, which just shows we totally ignore a very big part of what-is-really-going-on.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 10:47 AM
link   

The phenomena in question that even you admit to occurs regardless. Other creatures can observe how it goes into other wavelengths that our eyes and brains do not perceive. We use technology to perceive it for ourselves.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:09 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ironclad1964
The Universe is "HUGE"..!!
Then there's the theoretical Multiverse.
In my opinion, in something this vast, anything that could exist, probably does exist...!!

The only problem with that line of thinking is that just because something could exist doesn't mean that it actually exists. The universe is not infinite, and in the same way it's unlikely there is an infinite number of additional universes. In any event, we're only considering what happens in this universe, the one we perceive. So while God ( however one wishes to poorly define it) could be hanging out on a nearby cloud to help you win your football game, without proof we can all agree is definitive, it's all hypothetical, or essentially non-existent.

And again, that goes back to there being some kind of consensus among average people, the majority of people, who are by definition assumed to be sane. It doesn't matter so much what the "real" reality is (as if we could ever determine that), what matters is what people think is reality and whether or not they think your crazy ideas conform to it. If not, society reserves the right to punish, sedate, or kill you.
edit on 12-1-2020 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: JoseGarcia

The LEAST racist, prejudiced negative are the authentic INTRINSIC religionists who walk their talk.

The End of False Religion Is Near!

What Is False Religion?

Are you distressed about crimes committed in the name of religion? Do the warfare, terrorism, and corruption perpetrated by those who claim to serve God offend your sense of justice? Why does religion seem to be at the root of so many problems?

The fault lies, not with all religion, but with false religion. A widely respected religious figure, Jesus Christ, indicated that false religion produces bad works, just as a “rotten tree produces worthless fruit.” (Matthew 7:15-17) What fruit does false religion yield?

False Religion . . .

▪ MEDDLES IN WAR AND POLITICS: “Across Asia and beyond,” says the journal Asiaweek, “power-hungry leaders are cynically manipulating people’s religious sentiments for their own needs.” As a result, the journal warns: “The world threatens to sink into madness.” A prominent religious leader in the United States declared: “You’ve got to kill the terrorists before the killing stops.” His solution? “Blow them all away in the name of the Lord.” By contrast, the Bible says: “If anyone makes the statement: ‘I love God,’ and yet is hating his brother, he is a liar.” (1 John 4:20) Jesus even said: “Continue to love your enemies.” (Matthew 5:44) How many religions can you think of whose members engage in war?

▪ SPREADS FALSE DOCTRINE: ...
How to Identify True Religion

What good fruit should true religion produce?​—Matthew 7:17.

True Religion . . .

▪ PRACTICES LOVE: True worshippers are “no part of the world,” are not divided by race or culture, and display ‘love among themselves.’ (John 13:35; 17:16; Acts 10:34, 35) Rather than killing one another, they are willing to die for one another.​—1 John 3:16.

▪ TRUSTS GOD’S WORD: ...
Does any religion meet these standards? The book Holocaust Politics, published in 2001, says: “If more people practiced versions of what the Jehovah’s Witnesses preach and practice, the Holocaust could have been prevented and genocide would scourge the world no more.”

Indeed, in 235 lands, Jehovah’s Witnesses do not just preach the Bible’s moral standards​—they live by them. ...

Context (playlist)

Prejudice and Discrimination—Getting to the Roots (Awake!—2009)

Prejudice causes people to distort, misinterpret, or even ignore facts that conflict with their predetermined opinions. Prejudice may have its beginnings in seemingly innocent, but misguided, family values, or it may be sown by those who deliberately promote warped views of other races or cultures. Prejudice can also be fostered by nationalism and false religious teachings. And it can be a product of inordinate pride. As you reflect on the following points and on pertinent principles taken from the Bible, why not examine your own attitudes and see if changes are in order?

Associates. ...

Nationalism. One dictionary defines nationalism as “a sense of national consciousness exalting one nation above all others and placing primary emphasis on promotion of its culture and interests as opposed to those of other nations.” Ivo Duchacek, a professor of political science, observed in his book Conflict and Cooperation Among Nations: “Nationalism divides humanity into mutually intolerant units. As a result people think as Americans, Russians, Chinese, Egyptians, or Peruvians first, and as human beings second​—if at all.” A former UN secretary-general wrote: “So many of the problems that we face today are due to, or the result of, false attitudes​—some of them have been adopted almost unconsciously. Among these is the concept of narrow nationalism​—‘my country, right or wrong.’”

What does the Bible say? “God loved the world [all mankind] so much that he gave his only-begotten Son, in order that everyone exercising faith in him might not be destroyed but have everlasting life.” (John 3:16) “God is not partial, but in every nation the man that fears him and works righteousness is acceptable to him.” (Acts 10:34, 35) Ask yourself, ‘If God’s love is impartial​—embracing people of all nations, including me—​should I not strive to imitate him, especially if I profess to reverence him?’

Racism. Racists believe “that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others,” says one dictionary. Yet, as is noted in The World Book Encyclopedia, researchers “have not discovered any scientific basis for such claims of [racial] superiority.” The gross injustices that racism fosters, such as people’s systematic denial of rights to fellow humans, are painful evidence that racism rests on falsehoods and fallacies.

What does the Bible say? “The truth will set you free.” (John 8:32) “[God] made out of one man every nation of men.” (Acts 17:26) “Not the way man sees is the way God sees, because mere man sees what appears to the eyes; but as for Jehovah, he sees what the heart is.” (1 Samuel 16:7) Ask yourself: ‘Do I try to see all humans as God does? Do I try to find out what others​—perhaps those of a different race or culture—​are really like by getting to know some of them personally?’ When we get to know people on a personal level, we more readily see through misleading stereotypes.

Religion. The book The Nature of Prejudice says: “Abominations inevitably result when men use their religion to justify [selfish pursuits] and ethnic self-interest. It is then that religion and prejudice merge.” What is especially striking, the same book observes, is how readily many religious people “seem to slip from piety into prejudice.” Evidence in support of those words is seen in racially exclusive churches, sectarian hatred and violence, and acts of terror inspired by religion.

▪ What does the Bible say? “The wisdom from above [from God] is . . . peaceable, reasonable, . . . not making partial distinctions.” (James 3:17) “The true worshipers will worship the Father with spirit and [religious] truth.” (John 4:23) “Love your enemies and . . . pray for those persecuting you.” (Matthew 5:44) Ask yourself: ‘Does my religion promote genuine love toward all, even toward those who may want to hurt me? Are the doors of my church open to people of all kinds, regardless of nationality, skin color, gender, income, or social status?’

Pride. In the form of inordinate self-esteem or haughtiness, pride can make a person more susceptible to prejudice. For example, pride can cause a person to be prone to feelings of superiority or disdain toward the less educated or the materially poor. It may also make him inclined to believe propaganda that elevates his national or ethnic group. Clever propagandists, such as Nazi dictator Adolf Hitler, have deliberately nurtured national and racial pride to rally the support of the masses and to malign those considered to be different or undesirable.

edit on 12-1-2020 by whereislogic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Yeah, but your brain does a lot of the heavy lifting. It's not just about frequencies, but also perception. What color are the dots?

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 11:31 AM
link   

What I was thinking while reading the article is, can belief in god be considered a mental illness in itself ? Could having a firm belief that there are angels around you, that god hears you and that you can hear god, be considered a mental illness ? Does having imaginary friends or enemies constitute a mental illness ?

Is this any difference than a scientist believing in dark matter?

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 12:01 PM
link   
a reply to: purplemer
Or any different than believing that there is freewill?

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   

originally posted by: shawmanfromny

You can't describe "faith" to people like you, so I don't even bother. You have just as much right not believing in a God, as I do believing in one.

Faith in a God has nothing to do with a malignancy or mental illness and I'm offended by your assertion that it is.

Personally, the belief in God and prayer has helped me cope with my depression and the guilt I feel for wronging many people in my life. If that makes me "mentally ill" in your book, then so be it.

Faith is easy to explain to a modern atheist.

Just present it this way:

You know how you believe in the fairy tales that are propagated by the UN Climate panels?

We'll, that's called faith.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Well now go around telling every one how you hear voices or how you see ghost AKA spirits .
Very shortly you will find your self under observation .
Spirit OK Ghost not ( same thing lol ) voices in head not ok calling them god ok .
So if voices you hear in your head are mental illness then god is mental illness .
If seeing a Ghost is mental illness then seeing a spirit or angle is .
all these things are just a matter of just HOW you say them .
Its been strange for me in my life a large part of which I had faith and believed in a GOD and even now its ahrd to say no way a god who you kidding .
BUT i can say this to all the former drug users and drunks why are you so special GOD would save you wile letting babys die who never get to draw there first breath .
Most people who are of strong faith are VERY VERY argent very very prideful .
Both of which gets you a pass straight to the warm place .
Even when I had faith I never once thought GOD should ooo get ride of a cold for me Heck i knew a person whos idea ofa mircal and very religious say GOD would fix er car lol God being reduced to a mechanic or expected to cure your sniffles mean wile millions die and no god saving them .
GOD may be real or not real it does NOT MATTER If god is REAL he does NOTHING with his power no one is saved from death . O yea i know you shoudl ahve die could have died and so on your so special he saved you I know .

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   
what is worse I realize all this and still want to believe in a GOD not because i want to be immortal or am afraid of a fiery torment .
Just because even in a crowd I get lonely .

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   
a reply to: midicon

You are right. I should have written "heightened energized body bliss mode" not high body bliss mode.

How much sense you get from the nerve system can be enhanced or lowered. You can go years with physical pain that you are ignoring just by pushing it away (you automatically lower the sense of the nerve system in the body). You can thru meditation or "Amagydala fear overload" heighten how much you feel of the energy flowing thru the nerve system.

Heightened because your senses are increased. Energized body bliss mode because the energy flowing thru the body can be manipulated to a degree thru for instance movement and sound. When a person who is pushing energy moves the hand above you without touching your body you can very easily pinpoint the location of the hand by the changes in vibration, heat or cold in your skin/nerve system.

From my understanding the soul is a Decision Tree (Artificial Intelligence) that is connected to the unconscious that evolutionary changes with experience from lifetime to lifetime. The place that I think is most probable for how information flow from soul to unconscious happen is thru the microtubules.
edit on 12-1-2020 by LittleByLittle because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn
I will leave you with these links :
The Human Brain Evolved to Believe in Gods
Ancient Viruses Are Buried in Your DNA

Its not enough to 'believe' in gods; that is blatant manipulation by others expressing a belief system you buy into emotionally or illogically. I would think the genetic growth would be in the form of 'knowing'. Much like one communicates with those off planet telepathically.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blue Shift
What color are the dots?

They look like titties ... without the nipples. Is that a color? LOL

God is real. Met him. No doubt in me at all.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: Deplorable
The dots don't change color the lines do.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing
a reply to: Deplorable
The dots don't change color the lines do.

No they don't. The lines are always the same color.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
There is “ belief”, and then there’s the opening of the Third Eye, also referred to as an “Awakening”. Please don’t confuse it with all the so-called “woke” stuff.
This awakening usually comes when one is practicing meditation or yoga or deliberately seeking answers from the spiritual realm. The Eastern Yogis teach that the life energy lies at the base of the spine. It is called “Kundalini”. This energy rises to the crown chakra and in doing so these chakras begin to spin and the person will experience a spiritual awareness.
The Vedas and Puranas teach about the Creation.
On the website “ The Reluctant Messenger” quotes a particular segment from the Vedas.

I want to point out something that is very important as it applies to Hinduism. Part of the sacred scripture in Hinduism is called the Vedas. Please notice this ancient scripture from the Vedas.
These are the very words of Veda. Prajapatir vai idam asit: In the beginning was Brahman. Tasya vag dvitya asit; with whom was the Vak or the Word... Vag vai paramam Brahma; and the word is Brahman."

Vak or Word was understood by the ancient Hindus to be the Sound which brought all things into existence - the Sound or Word - the primordial emanation of God expressing and clothing the creative Thought. Astonishingly, we see a marked similarity between John's opening verses and that of the Vedas.
reluctant-messenger.com...
By the way, a nearly identical passage can be found in The Bible ... John 1:1
I’m sorry for you that you think such a profound teaching is a mental illness, but that is the ignorance of atheism and secular humanism and the dialectical materialism of Karl Marx.

edit on 12-1-2020 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: midnightstar
Well, there’s this ...

Matthew 21:22 “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.”
www.google.com...
And this...

King James Version John 16:23 And in that day ye shall ask me nothing. Verily, verily, I say unto you, Whatsoever ye shall ask the Father in my name, he will give it you.
www.studylight.org...
And the rest is personal karma, free will, and lessons of the soul.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 09:19 PM
link   

The "mental illness" is the proclamation that anyone whom dares be religious must be "mentally ill..."

So please, go ahead and find your way into a mental asylum and sign yourself in...

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join