It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could the belief in god considered a mental illness ?

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 10:25 AM
link   

originally posted by: sapien82
a reply to: TzarChasm

well according to "the science"

human brains are predisposed to thinking of deities and the afterlife

so we are either designed to be mentally ill or we are naturally mentally ill

either way , we are mentally ill

"worship" simply means 'acknowledgement of worth'. People worship all sorts of things. They worship the opinion of scientists. They worship the opinion that others have of them. they worship their bank account, their home, their job, their family, and so on. Worship is unavoidable. What you worship makes all the difference though.

What if we all acknowledged the worth of becoming the embodiment of Goodness? Can we all agree on that kind of unity?

posted on Jan, 21 2020 @ 04:08 PM
link   

My answer to that is that a cancer tumor should not be given a brain to speak with or a soul to feel with. The inevitable conflict of apoptosis and nihilism will cause havoc and madness. in other words, sacrificing for the greater good vs the greater good is a myth and life is a cruel prank. how do you imagine a tumor would feel to learn it is being surgically destroyed because it had the bad luck to be born in the wrong place. such creatures dont get a choice, but we do. because we are "special". or maybe that is just a lie we tell ourselves.

posted on Jan, 22 2020 @ 11:57 AM
link   
a reply to: cooperton

Hey you are right worship is unavoidable since it appears that the human brain is geared towards it , we have no free will in that regard I suppose.

as for the unity around being the emodiement of goodnees , I can get behind that mate

posted on Jan, 23 2020 @ 01:27 PM
link   

a reply to: cooperton

Hey you are right worship is unavoidable since it appears that the human brain is geared towards it , we have no free will in that regard I suppose.

as for the unity around being the emodiement of goodnees , I can get behind that mate

It's called entrapment. Born condemned so you can be strong armed into submission. I might call it tumor theory like what I described above.

edit on 23-1-2020 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   

that is exactly it , we dont have free will at all , just the appearance of free will

its like what the kybalion says , there are laws and forces which govern things beyond our understanding
what we consider free will , may very well be governed by higher laws on planes of existence we cant comprehend.

the dice are clearly loaded
and the bets are hedged
and as they say , "the house always wins"

so what is the point in humanity god ?
seems like personal amusement.

reminds me of what Andryll from Forgotten languages group said to me , we are robots , with just enough consciousness that we dont think of ourselves as robots , but we are programmed to carry out operations , with not enough consciousness to question our reality to the point we realise it .

I suppose there will be no way to truly know

edit on 24-1-2020 by sapien82 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 24 2020 @ 11:52 AM
link   

That is assuming that god is a person...

What if god is simply what actully is occuring (manifesting/being)?

No freewill for the individual .......the field is said to be the sole governing agency of the particle.

Maybe the field is god.....and nothing is personal?

edit on 24-1-2020 by Itisnowagain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

"worship" simply means 'acknowledgement of worth'. People worship all sorts of things. They worship the opinion of scientists. They worship the opinion that others have of them. they worship their bank account, their home, their job, their family, and so on. Worship is unavoidable. What you worship makes all the difference though.

What if we all acknowledged the worth of becoming the embodiment of Goodness? Can we all agree on that kind of unity?

Football stadiums, political rallies, stock exchange, and church all have something in common according to what you described here. Negotiation, advantage, competition, profit. Proving your value by setting parties against each other and turning it into a game of industry. Who can do it better? Who has more to show for it? Is that what church is for? Perhaps the belief in god is not a mental illness, but the expression of it, the means of ritually manifesting your attachment and the objective in applying such steps. Take the building out of the ministry, take the dollar out of the sermon, and take the fancy out of the faith. If god cant provide money then you dont need it. And somehow, these establishments ALWAYS need human beings to sacrifice for their fellow society because someone up there isnt keeping the lights on and the pantries full. There is no miracle in that. Philanthropy and environmental awareness is the only spirituality we need, pretending that there are supernatural powers helping us act like a civilized community is a bit kooky.

edit on 27-1-2020 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 29 2020 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Cooperton: "worship" simply means 'acknowledgement of worth'. People worship all sorts of things. They worship the opinion of scientists. They worship the opinion that others have of them. they worship their bank account, their home, their job, their family, and so on. Worship is unavoidable. What you worship makes all the difference though.

Worship also means "to adore". That could be construed into meaning 'adoration'. Adoration=a potential for an irrational extreme expression of behavior that can be a historical game changer. Witness; the paradigm shifting result of 'ordinary girls' screaming at the tops of their lungs during a 1964 Beatles concert at Shea Stadium.
edit on 29-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 02:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

Cooperton: "worship" simply means 'acknowledgement of worth'. People worship all sorts of things. They worship the opinion of scientists. They worship the opinion that others have of them. they worship their bank account, their home, their job, their family, and so on. Worship is unavoidable. What you worship makes all the difference though.

Worship also means "to adore". That could be construed into meaning 'adoration'. Adoration=a potential for an irrational extreme expression of behavior that can be a historical game changer. Witness; the paradigm shifting result of 'ordinary girls' screaming at the tops of their lungs during a 1964 Beatles concert at Shea Stadium.

Believing in the power of sage and gems and using mirrors to speak to other planes of existence is not mental illness, it is faith and spirituality. Emptying your child's college fund or trading the car for capital to invest in a cult that spends money far quicker than it produces genuine miracles, and refusing to accept that it is a scam, that is mental illness. Gathering dozens of people to participate in a ritual that demands a sacrifice of living flesh, that is mental illness. Forcing a human being to surrender their soul in a contract with otherworldly forces or they will be visited with terrible suffering in the hereafter, that is mental illness.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:34 PM
link   
You have described perfectly: The Catholic Church.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 08:57 PM
link   
The lack of belief in God is a mental illness. Thinking God wants innocent people to pay for anything is ill-concieved.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Having faith in a God, God the creator, is called hope. Showing faith through worship is supposed to be goodness. The Mentally ill might take worship to an extreme or have illness symptoms that are unsocial and antisocial. Hurting anyone in the name of God or spirituality is called human evil and is a sin. Ruining any artwork in the name of a religion or God is also human evil and sin. Evil humans use religion to cause war and hurt others. Mental illness could be viewed as human evil, or the person is physiologically broken. I view God as being positive energy. Energy that can manifest into what ever it wants. My father was an electrical engineer. You can't see electricity usually but it is definitely there and powerful. I personally know this from getting zapped while shoving wires in to a live fuse box as I was painting. Take a morals and ethics college course and argue with the professor. My son is in one of those classes this winter and he says it's a very hard class, based on all the different perspectives everyone has.

posted on Jan, 31 2020 @ 10:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Itisnowagain

That is assuming that god is a person...

What if god is simply what actully is occuring (manifesting/being)?
No freewill for the individual .......the field is said to be the sole governing agency of the particle.
Maybe the field is god.....and nothing is personal?

There is a plan at hand. It is organized. Free will (your goal) exists before incarnation; then is forgotten. The field holds the integrity of intent in place in order to progress that ultimate idea/energy that God desires to be.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: iPray2Allah
The lack of belief in God is a mental illness. Thinking God wants innocent people to pay for anything is ill-concieved.

We see what believers do with their faith.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: frugal
Having faith in a God, God the creator, is called hope. Showing faith through worship is supposed to be goodness. The Mentally ill might take worship to an extreme or have illness symptoms that are unsocial and antisocial. Hurting anyone in the name of God or spirituality is called human evil and is a sin. Ruining any artwork in the name of a religion or God is also human evil and sin. Evil humans use religion to cause war and hurt others. Mental illness could be viewed as human evil, or the person is physiologically broken. I view God as being positive energy. Energy that can manifest into what ever it wants. My father was an electrical engineer. You can't see electricity usually but it is definitely there and powerful. I personally know this from getting zapped while shoving wires in to a live fuse box as I was painting. Take a morals and ethics college course and argue with the professor. My son is in one of those classes this winter and he says it's a very hard class, based on all the different perspectives everyone has.

What about the idea that something which isn't actually a crime is immoral and punishable. What about the idea that you are sent by some holy authority to do their bidding regardless of qualification or license. What about the idea that society needs to be purged to remind everyone who is in charge. What about the idea that absolute power in a very literal sense does exist and belongs to one very special agency that has zero oversight. Are these ideas ethical?

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 03:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: TzarChasm

We see what non-believers do with their lack of faith.

See Stalin and Mao for reference.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 04:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: cooperton

We see what non-believers do with their lack of faith.

That's just proof that government shouldn't measure its policies in terms of spirituality, or lack of it. The question of "why are we here" is irrelevant to legislation. Obviously civil rights should be honored but determining the quality or degree of character does not hinge around church or creed and government should reflect this.
edit on 1-2-2020 by TzarChasm because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 07:53 PM
link   
originally posted by: [post=24913258]cooperton[/post

TzarChasm:We see what believers do with their faith.

cooperton:We see what non-believers do with their lack of faith.

Communists destroy the cultural belief systems of nations they wish to occupy/dominate.
Radicalized believers in any one belief system attempt to destroy differing belief systems.
The Evil lies in the idea of belief system itself; it is systemically rotten.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

Let's take for example the fact that during our evolution, our cells integrated certain viruses that proved to be useful in the long run, and thus the cell started to reproduce the viruses at the same time that it reproduced itself, and now these viruses are part of us.

Fact huh ? Where did this fact happen? You don't even realize you have it all completely ass backwards.

That's mental illness.

posted on Feb, 1 2020 @ 09:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: carsforkids
a reply to: gosseyn

Let's take for example the fact that during our evolution, our cells integrated certain viruses that proved to be useful in the long run, and thus the cell started to reproduce the viruses at the same time that it reproduced itself, and now these viruses are part of us.

Fact huh ? Where did this fact happen? You don't even realize you have it all completely ass backwards.

That's mental illness.

It's weird that you act like you know better but won't prove it. Feel free to illuminate the discussion at your leisure.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join