It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It is finally starting to happen! I am going deaf...

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:07 PM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O

The love of your life... well it sounds like you are the love of her life to.
And when you love someone, you stand by them no matter what.

I’m happy to hear you have someone to be there for you.
I don’t know from experience, but I can pretty much guarantee that it’s going to get harder for you.
But, if you have a loving and supportive partner, then there’s nothing that can stand in your way.

You can do this.
Make life your Bitch.

with all the absolute garbage going on in this world, I sort of envy you.
Most days I would much rather be deaf and not have to hear about all the BS.
You gotta look at the positive side here!

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Hi, Bigburgh,

Thanks

My last ones, the audiologist would adjust the programming in-office as needed, but the sounds I was left hearing drove me nuts. I never adjusted (mentally) to the sounds through h/a. My cousin & her husband adjusted fine to theirs, though.

Hopefully and if so, hope all goes well
I think it's awesome that people are here in support of others. Cheers!

edit on 2020 1 10 by oldme because: fixed sentences

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   
An old friend ive not spoken too since I was about 10 years old got in touch tonight I think he might have seen this post or maybe just a concidence...

Reminded me of where I came from with pretty stern words, what we all went through as kids, theres only about 3 of us left out of a group of 10 or so... most of them are in jail that are still living, some dead to drugs or struggling to get by as they are...

So its, make the most of the now. I never thought about it but I got out of trouble due to the stuff that went on in my life with losses and what I thought of as curse with the hearing side. Maybe a blessing in disguise. Time to turn it around and get back to it. Ive been feeling scared if im honest but after a good chat im thinking it might be time to just blast it and make the most of it and when it happens at least I tried!!

Can only do your best and no regrets

Not easy but listening to some of the stories of what happened to the others is enough to feel like im doing alright to continue and a total idiot to think im hard done by.
edit on 10-1-2020 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Hey, you know what? I kind of have same problem. I've been a machine operator for about 30 years, always noisy machines and already started to have hearing problems the last 2 or 3 years. I noticed it got a bit worse when everybody at home began telling me I speak too loud.

Texting me is the best way to reach me by phone

I try to anticipate what my bosses will ask me to do.

I use headphones at home to play videos or music, otherwise it would be too loud for my family.

I keep pushing and find a way to do things, no matter what. I never liked people that talk too much anyway.

Go on man, go on.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: oldme
Hi, Bigburgh,

Thanks

My last ones, the audiologist would adjust the programming in-office as needed, but the sounds I was left hearing drove me nuts. I never adjusted (mentally) to the sounds through h/a. My cousin & her husband adjusted fine to theirs, though.

Hopefully and if so, hope all goes well
I think it's awesome that people are here in support of others. Cheers!

Yes, my issue was high pitch, then a severe infection that required an antibiotic that did the rest. So they digitally put in an annoying click for a replacement sound. Crickets, birds, frogs...
Oh god it was awful. But eventually it was a matter of volume on all things, much like the OP has been dealing with all his/her life. Eventually a hearing aid damages the rest because one might turn it up. Like listening to loud music with headphones.

That said...

For anybody.

www.cochlear.com... e=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=cochlear%20implant&utm_content=dtc_cochlear-implant-highvolume-exact&st-t=google&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7nEwNv65gIVDorIC h3m2gvMEAAYASAAEgL9HvD_BwE

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Sorry to hear you can't hear. That last sentence actually sounds kind of strange when you hear it said. Oh well, you can't hear it said so no problem.

A B12 and or folate deficiency or malabsorption can make hearing worse. In your case, the mumps caused damage, but it seems to be getting worse now. I am just saying there may be a chance of stopping the progression of the hearing loss and maybe even get a little bit back. Just get a bottle of jarrow B-right and give it a try. Not that expensive to do. If it is a deficiency, it should only take a couple of weeks to notice improvement.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:21 PM
link   

I feel for ya man. One thing I've always wanted to ask (never wanted to know from personal experience) - If you hum, do you 'hear' yourself?

I get that when you hum, your head/throat/jaw etc will vibrate and you would feel that but would you 'hear' it the same way you would, say if you stuck your fingers in your ears? Or would you only feel vibration but no sound whatsoever?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:26 AM
link   

M8 my grandfather went deaf at 20 from being an artillery gunner in ww2 and he used to tell me this -

99.9% of people only hear and do not listen so in actuality people neglect the purpose of this sense anyhow, he said he never once missed his hearing because people generally only spoke rubbish anyway.

He said the only problem was not being able to LISTEN to my grandmas sweet voice and the sound of her breathing at night but tyat was the only burden.

So i guess theres definitely some pain involved in total loss for sure but for the most part your really not missing much and so you should shove those feelings of insanity and anger under the rug for good.

Luckily we live in a tech age so why don't you invent a app that alerts a watch that vibrates aggressively when someone important needs your attention and insto your aware immediately.

Or similiar - you get my drift, then you will be rich and famous and can stick it to all those A$$holes who doubt or undermine your no doubt highly advanced other senses etc.

Ask who you can be, not who am i supposed to be.

Live champ, you have a purpose - find it.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 02:50 AM
link   
a reply to: XXXN3O Bummer dude my good friend since a kid is head geologist for SCE,also a prof at a local university,he woke up deaf,has to wear a cocklear,my other bud woke up blind he was head engineer he was lucky got 2 transplant and can see

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 05:54 PM
link   
a reply to: StallionDuck

Hi, StallionDuck,

Although everyone's body is different, as is their degree (and type) of hearing/hearing loss and I never asked about humming, I have a cute (but educational) experience that might offer some insight. In the next paragraph, this was all in sign language.

Years ago, a Deaf friend (profoundly Deaf) and I were at dinner in a restaurant. She burped and I snickered. She was like- What happened? I was going to explain, but I didn't want her to feel embarrassed, so I told her nothing happened; no worries. I could tell she was a bit unsettled that I didn't share what was funny. But, she dismissed it because we were good friends.

Several minutes later, she burped again... I snickered. She again asked what was funny. Before I could reply, she was looking around the restaurant to see what was made me snicker. It really hit home that I should've explained to her the first time because not explaining what was funny/happened had excluded her from the environment. I told her that I heard her burp and she thought I was joking. When she realized I was serious (but I was not bothered by it), she got a little embarrassed and said she felt the vibration of burps, but never knew burps made sound. A few minutes later, she asked me if farts make sound, too...? I told her yes, but some are harder to hear. She was shocked they made sound, too, and turned red, saying she didn't there (at dinner), but would be more careful. We had good laughs about the scenarios.
edit on 2020 1 11 by oldme because: fixed sentence & punctuation.

edit on 2020 1 11 by oldme because: sentence fix

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 04:07 AM
link   
Just to inspire you- this television performer (Eric Sykes) was profoundly deaf;

edit on 12-1-2020 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 08:33 AM
link   
This documentary was by Hilari Scarl and it was very inspiring & emotional for me (I purchased it). It follows 4 Deaf entertainers and their challenges to succeed in performing arts. Perhaps this can be inspirational for you, too. In this trailer, the subtitles are in-video, so no need to use youtube's CC.
See What I'm Saying

There are channels on youtube where the content creators share their experiences with their hearing loss and how they've adjusted. Not all D/deaf sign, so most of the content is CC (Closed Captioned) or subtitled by the creator or a professional vs. using youtube's auto-CC.

There's a saying,"D/deaf can do anything Hearing can do, except hear." Meaning, don't let deafness stop you or discourage you from pursuing your aspirations.
--
Deaf West Theater was mentioned earlier in the thread. Here is their link:
Deaf West Theater
Maybe they can offer help or insight to you in your stage performing as a Deaf performer.

edit on 2020 1 12 by oldme because: Added link to Deaf West Theater

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 05:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: XXXN3O

originally posted by: highvein

originally posted by: XXXN3O

originally posted by: highvein

I am sorry to hear about that.

Sorry, I didnt quite catch that?

It doesn't sound good.

Stay positive man. You will get through this.

Don't back out now man, when it sounds so horrible! You started it!

Nah I get you, have to have a laugh at it all. Cheers

Sometimes that is all we can do, and sometimes that is all that it takes to get you through.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join