It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists reverse aging in mouse brains

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:26 AM
link   

The team wanted to investigate if increasing the number of stem cells in the brain would help in recovering cognitive functions, like learning and memory, that had worsened or had been lost entirely during the aging process.

...used a method to stimulate and increase the number of neural stem cells located in the brain

the newly generated neurons survived and formed new contacts in neighboring brain cells

By stimulating the neural stem cells in their brains, the old mice in the study successfully recovered their cognitive mapping ability, and remembered the layout of a given environment for far longer, effectively reversing the effects of the aging process
Source

This is very exciting to see. The mental decline that comes with aging can be a sad thing to see or experience, traumatic even. A team of scientists now appears to have reversed the mental decline that comes with age by using stem cell therapy to increase the amount of stem cells inside the brain, allowing it to regenerate.
The treatment isn't yet ready for human trials, but hopefully in the next few years we will hear more about this.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 11:35 AM
link   
a reply to: trollz

This will be a great thing for the very wealthy. I also question the method for getting the said stem cells from.

(post by toolgal462 removed for political trolling and baiting)

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Old news. Read this same story here on ats like a month ago.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 12:23 PM
link   
So, they fed the mice real food instead of the regular highly processed mouse foods?

Wild blueberries, even made into pie, strawberries picked ripe with little pesticides added during their creation, and organic blackberries and maybe organic raspberries can help to keep the brain active, as long as they are pretty natural and consumed in moderation. The berries can help somewhat to keep the mind working properly. Other fruits can be bad or good and too much of other types of fruit can cause some bad brain degeneration. I studied the berries more since they are more potent and have less chance of side effects and more medical benefits..

Here is an article that seems legit, remember, the vitamin D that helps the brain is not D3, it is actually calcitriol the most active form that crosses the blood brain barrier. If your kidneys are up to par, they will create enough, but as people get older the kidneys get weaker, so eat more spuds but not way too much. www.lifeextension.com...

B12 is important in stem cell creation, it is a neuromodulator. Taurine is also good, actually increasing gaba so things do not get wild in there. We can make taurine and utilize it if we have all the ingredients to form it and also adequate enzymes to make and use it or we can lessen the amounts of enzymes if we get taurine directly from meat.

Adequate choline is also important, many of the meds doctors prescribe block choline. Often they prescribe meds like this to block anxiety and depression of older people who are getting sicker, hastening the deterioration of the brain. Adequate B12 and taurine help to moderate anxiety and depression somewhat most times. and restoring sulfite oxidase in the body is important. Our bodies do need sulfite oxidase to utilize b6 and some other B vitamins as well as carnatine and carnasine.

I am not so fond of the new trend to boost consumption of veggies and fruits so high, I think that those doing that are a little mentally compromised from eating too much fruits and veggies. Plant defense system chemicals can cause problems with thinking if over consumed by humans, we are not cows or sheep even though some call people sheep.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   
this is why they promote ab0rtions as 'hip and cool'

they need those stem cells, and organs.

look up who is the biggest organ traffickers on the planet lol.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 03:56 PM
link   
I should volunteer for that research...being a mouse and all. As long as they do not chop off my head after six months.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 05:07 PM
link   
Glad to see that there's still some chance for me.

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
So ... a forever young brain trapped in an old, falling apart wreck of a body?

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Here is an article that seems legit, remember, the vitamin D that helps the brain is not D3, it is actually calcitriol the most active form that crosses the blood brain barrier.

Calcitriol is actually a synthetic form. And according to everything I've read, the claim that natural D3 doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier is false.

Can you back that up?

If your kidneys are up to par, they will create enough, but as people get older the kidneys get weaker, so eat more spuds but not way too much. www.lifeextension.com...

Sorry, after LifeExtension pushed Fructose as a healthy alternative to sugar, when it turns out it is far worse, I have toruble trusting anything from them.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna

they need those stem cells, and organs.

Good thing a much better, more potent source has been found that comes from the umbilical cord, so has no ethical issues...

It comes from something called Whartons Jelly. I'm looking forward to my first treatments later this year...

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: tanstaafl

Here is an article that seems legit, remember, the vitamin D that helps the brain is not D3, it is actually calcitriol the most active form that crosses the blood brain barrier.

Calcitriol is actually a synthetic form. And according to everything I've read, the claim that natural D3 doesn't cross the blood/brain barrier is false.

Can you back that up?

If your kidneys are up to par, they will create enough, but as people get older the kidneys get weaker, so eat more spuds but not way too much. www.lifeextension.com...

Sorry, after LifeExtension pushed Fructose as a healthy alternative to sugar, when it turns out it is far worse, I have toruble trusting anything from them.

The calcitriol they use to make medicines is synthetic, but calcitriol is a regular metabolite that is bioactive in our bodies.
www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov... Read the abstract of this article, I have read dozensof articles on this subject completely over the years.

D3 and calcitriol have different properties and D3 is metabolized to Calcifediol/calcidiol by the liver then to calcitriol in our bodies by our kidneys and that is what goes through the blood brain barrior. Both of those are considered hormones, not vitamins at that point. Calcidiol from the liver is what is converted to calcitriiol by the kidneys. Calcidiol does have some stuff it does, it is a hormone and is able to get across the blood brain barrier like calcitriol does. D3 has to be converted to the Hormone metabolites before it can do anything. Problems with liver or kidney function can negate any benefit it has.

You seem to know a little about things, but I have been studying this stuff for twelve years now, studying scientific articles mostly. You need to learn how to read scientific research articles better.

I will use an article from someplace like life extension or Mercola if the article is in a form that people can comprehend, and it IS BASICALLY CORRECT. I read research all the time, I know what all the stuff means, I spent months looking things up on every article to try to understand what they actually say, something even professional people using this information get wrong quite often. Interpretations flying around written by supposedly knowledgeable experts is flawed half the time, they are not reading the research correctly. They are not applying the research properly.

Most people, even doctors, cannot interpret a research article properly because the researchers are usually writing the articles to other experts in that particular science specialty, they assume people know how to interpret it properly.

Science daily writers do seem to interpret most things right, but I have seen them rewrite the articles many times after their conclusions were found to be off. The article will pop up again as new at the top of the list when that occurs because it was edited, I like that.

Read how the conversion takes place in this article. This wikipedia article does a decent job of explaining some of the fundamental stuff that I know about these hormones. I have read through a lot of medical research on this D chemistry, much of which takes sorting through days of reading to unscramble. Calcitriol is actually a pharmaceutical, you cannot buy it as a supplement, you need a prescription. It is patentable because they create it by a synthetic way, they patent the process not the supplement.

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: dantanna

can you show me even one example of anyone doing this ever?

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 08:59 PM
link   
This may help Joe Biden's campaign.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 07:53 AM
link   

The calcitriol they use to make medicines is synthetic, but calcitriol is a regular metabolite that is bioactive in our bodies.

That was kind of my point...

D3 and calcitriol have different properties

So, your point is that different substances have different properties? I'm not trying to be snarky, but really? Condescend much?

and D3 is metabolized to Calcifediol/calcidiol by the liver then to calcitriol in our bodies by our kidneys and that is what goes through the blood brain barrior.

Ok, so, you've proven your point that D3, itself, doesn't pass the blood brain barrier, but metabolites of it do. Bravo.

Both of those are considered hormones, not vitamins at that point.

D3 itself is a hormone, it is merely incorrectly referred to as a vitamin because stuff.

D3 has to be converted to the Hormone metabolites before it can do anything.

Pretty much everything you ingest has to be converted to other things before they can do anything. Again... really?

Problems with liver or kidney function can negate any benefit it has.

Now you're backtracking, saying it is only people with certain liver or kidney problems that have trouble getting these metabolites across the blood brain barrier from taking D3.

Ok, so, for those few exceptions, focus on fixing the liver and kidney problems first, as part of an overall plan for treating dementia.

You seem to know a little about things, but I have been studying this stuff for twelve years now, studying scientific articles mostly. You need to learn how to read scientific research articles better.

I stopped focusing so much on them when I learned that they are quite often fatally flawed, and I have neither the time nor the inclination to spend numerous hours on each one vetting them. I do still peruse them sometimes when I have the time though.

I will use an article from someplace like life extension or Mercola if the article is in a form that people can comprehend, and it IS BASICALLY CORRECT.

Correct according to whom? That is the problem. How many articles have you ever read that you thought were basically correct, only to learn later that they were far from it? As for myself, I can say it is a great many.

I read research all the time, I know what all the stuff means, I spent months looking things up on every article to try to understand what they actually say, something even professional people using this information get wrong quite often.

Exactly. Maybe you are retired? Independently wealthy? I'm happy for you that you have the time. I don't.

Interpretations flying around written by supposedly knowledgeable experts is flawed half the time, they are not reading the research correctly. They are not applying the research properly.

Maybe you should start holding classes and teaching them.

Most people, even doctors, cannot interpret a research article properly because the researchers are usually writing the articles to other experts in that particular science specialty, they assume people know how to interpret it properly.

Definitely, start teaching these morons, they need to learn better!

Calcitriol is actually a pharmaceutical, you cannot buy it as a supplement, you need a prescription.

You seem to be saying that as if it was a good thing?

Even high quality D3 is relatively cheap and requires no prescription. It is a much more natural form, and therefore has far fewer if any side effects.

It is patentable because they create it by a synthetic way, they patent the process not the supplement.

Again, said as if it was a good thing. This is what is entirely wrong with our health care system.

Hippocrates said it first and best: "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food."

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: tanstaafl

Certain food chemistries can induce or inhibit enzymes that the liver and kidneys make, basically making D3 worthless. Lack of sunshine can highly reduce the amount of D2 that is converted to D3 which the liver can convert to calciferol. D2 is the plant version, but the nightshades contain the most active version because of their physiology because they are nightshades, growing and producing fruit at night. Same with some other root veggies, they will test low in vitamin D but the tests usually given to people for vitamin D do not test for Calcidiol or Calcitriol. If the calcium is in the normal range and the D3 test is low, it does not mean that there is a problem. But doctors seem to not know this even though in the upper end of Pharmacology and medicine this is stated. It seems that all doctors should be made aware of how to read the research. If bone calcium loss is happening, D3 and calcium will not help that much, a special pyrophosphate is used to help bring the calcium back to the bone...there is actually a medicine for that. Some Meats contain active pyrophosphates. The potato does contain phosphates, but I am not sure if they are in the right forms. I do not know if SAPP used in making frenchfries would work for that.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 09:25 AM
link   

a reply to: tanstaafl
Certain food chemistries can induce or inhibit enzymes that the liver and kidneys make, basically making D3 worthless.

Yes... so correct those food chemistries. Suggesting someone should take a pharmaceutical drug is fighting the symptom, not the cause.

Lack of sunshine can highly reduce the amount of D2 that is converted to D3 which the liver can convert to calciferol.

Which is why almost everyone (with some exceptions) should be t aking a high quality D3 supplement (make sure it is natural, sourced usually from lanolin).

If bone calcium loss is happening, D3 and calcium will not help that much, a special pyrophosphate is used to help bring the calcium back to the bone...there is actually a medicine for that.

Maybe, but drugs virtually always come with multiple negative side-effects too. Best is to use natural methods to fix the problem itself, rather than, again, fighting the symptom.

new topics

top topics

join