It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

1917 - Thoughts?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:22 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

And here I thought 1917 was talking about the dollar amount that the latest Star Wars movie brought in.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

originally posted by: TrustedTruth
Go away with your on topic shenanigans..

Sorry, as a military history buff I just wanted to see things done properly.

Absolutely fair point.

I cannot counter that.

I concede.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

No, this film is about how, after their dastardly attack on Pearl Harbor, we use the atomic leg drop on Japan.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

And here I thought 1917 was talking about the dollar amount that the latest Star Wars movie brought in.

it's $20.20 in any reputable establishment.

Else you have screaming babies wailing at the scree in the seat in front of you.

They pay extra for the vegan popcorn.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

No, this film is about how, after their dastardly attack on Pearl Harbor, we use the atomic leg drop on Japan.

Oh.

So just another movie about Vietnam.

*pass*

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria's pint. Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg. Germany expresses its support for Austria's point of view. Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit. Serbia points out that it can't afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria's trousers. Russia and Serbia look at Austria. Austria asks Serbia who it's looking at. Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone. Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so.

Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene. Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it? Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action. Britain and France ask Germany whether it's looking at Belgium. Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone.

Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium. France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other. Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it's on Britain's side, but stays there. Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria. Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it. France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change.

Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting. America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a bar stool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself. By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany's fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

So you're saying that this movie is the sequel to "Titanic".

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Yup, I thought it would be obvious.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

a reply to: Agit8dChop

It was quite a year.

I remember it like it was only yesterday..

ahh, the women wore dresses, the men wore pants, and children did not speak unless spoken to. People read newspapers, not tabloids and you could spot a gangster by seeing a group of men in fancy suits, wearing fedoras and carrying violin cases, all walking into an illicit speakeasy, see.

Only in America.

No, here too, mister commodore 64..

Shew-ah, shew-ah, yondah is da castle of my faddauh!

Is that islamic code for wanting to kill me??

I legit have no idea what you just said.. Shew-ah akbar!!! It is how it comes across. And it sounds ominous to me..

ETA: This is the only mere reference I could do to find that gibberish.

Broke with distemp'd brooding o'er her thy heart
Declared that torture'd soul, the joys of av'rice and reaps
who briefly, defy'd what bountous heav'n....

Dignif'd by thy useful slave. A befitting giv'n, by the lord.

Yet thou pervert this if used, make this by the lord

As love again was to that from which retor'd

Irradiated it's beams, and lighteden them from the hord.

As if the Glorious form of shew mas made

And taflfefs pleasure, and empty shadah

Or as the Delphin wathc o'er

And the thunder guarded her face by halolwed store.

Are you asking me to marry you.. sorry, but piss off.

It is an attempt to render an exaggerated '70's-ish Bronx accent into English. A la Tony Curtis and Cyndi Lauper (both no doubt before your time).

But I am already married, you little flirt, you...

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Germany, Austria and Italy are standing together in the middle of a pub when Serbia bumps into Austria and spills Austria's pint. Austria demands Serbia buy it a complete new suit because there are splashes on its trouser leg. Germany expresses its support for Austria's point of view. Britain recommends that everyone calm down a bit. Serbia points out that it can't afford a whole suit, but offers to pay for the cleaning of Austria's trousers. Russia and Serbia look at Austria. Austria asks Serbia who it's looking at. Russia suggests that Austria should leave its little brother alone. Austria inquires as to whose army will assist Russia in compelling it to do so.

Germany appeals to Britain that France has been looking at it, and that this is sufficiently out of order that Britain should not intervene. Britain replies that France can look at who it wants to, that Britain is looking at Germany too, and what is Germany going to do about it? Germany tells Russia to stop looking at Austria, or Germany will render Russia incapable of such action. Britain and France ask Germany whether it's looking at Belgium. Turkey and Germany go off into a corner and whisper. When they come back, Turkey makes a show of not looking at anyone.

Germany rolls up its sleeves, looks at France, and punches Belgium. France and Britain punch Germany. Austria punches Russia. Germany punches Britain and France with one hand and Russia with the other. Russia throws a punch at Germany, but misses and nearly falls over. Japan calls over from the other side of the room that it's on Britain's side, but stays there. Italy surprises everyone by punching Austria. Australia punches Turkey, and gets punched back. There are no hard feelings because Britain made Australia do it. France gets thrown through a plate glass window, but gets back up and carries on fighting. Russia gets thrown through another one, gets knocked out, suffers brain damage, and wakes up with a complete personality change.

Italy throws a punch at Austria and misses, but Austria falls over anyway. Italy raises both fists in the air and runs round the room chanting. America waits till Germany is about to fall over from sustained punching from Britain and France, then walks over and smashes it with a bar stool, then pretends it won the fight all by itself. By now all the chairs are broken and the big mirror over the bar is shattered. Britain, France and America agree that Germany threw the first punch, so the whole thing is Germany's fault . While Germany is still unconscious, they go through its pockets, steal its wallet, and buy drinks for all their friends.

What an impeccable grasp of modern history.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 05:28 AM
link   
1917 - Thoughts?

Much better than 1916 but not as good as 1918.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Viewed this recently.
Was a classic hollywood buddy road pic....who knew?
As it was english humor I missed most of it.

posted on Jan, 17 2020 @ 12:54 PM
link   
a reply to: chr0naut

I had a crush on cyndi lauper before you were a stain in your dads undies...

edit on 17-1-2020 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join