It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Vermont bill would ban cellphone use for anyone under 21

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:59 PM
link   
Sorry forgot link

www.mynbc5.com...#

A bill seeking to ban the use of cellphones for anyone under the age of 21 was introduced by a Democratic state senator this week as legislators gathered in Montpelier for the first day of the 2020 legislative session.

The bill, introduced to the judiciary committee by Sen. John Rodgers (Essex-Orleans), would make the possession of a cellphone punishable by up to one year in prison, a $1,000 fine, or both.

Rodgers writes within the proposal that cellphones are a large factor in teenage driving deaths and can lead to bullying and radicalization.

"In light of the dangerous and life-threatening consequences of cellphone use by young people, it is clear that persons under 21 years of age are not developmentally mature enough to safely possess them," the bill reads.

So you can drive, vote, and go kill for your country at 18 but a cell phone's too dangerous....

A year in prison because you're caught with a device that might lead to you getting bullied. A hell of a lot worse happens in prison.

I doubt this will pass but just.....so completely and utterly ridiculous.

www.mynbc5.com...
edit on 1/9/20 by FredT because: Mod Edit: Added link

edit on 9/1/2020 by dug88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88

It's Vermont... it very well could pass

Burlington, the biggest "city" in VT is passing bills to let illegals vote in town elections... they put a 97% tax on vaping products (but not regular tobacco products), they're doing all types of whackadoo s***

lol sadly my taxes keep going up yet I'm seeing no benefits! Quite the opposite

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

This is ridiculous. They think Big Cellular is giving up their favourite data overage customers? No.

My 3 year old has a cellphone that acts as a medical device. What are they going to do to him? Chuck him in the clink?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

Ironically they have some of the most lenient gun laws.

Definitely a state of contrast. And one of the most gorgeous states I've been to. Their whole state barely has more of a population than my metro.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:08 PM
link   
a reply to: dug88 yeah it's probably going to be pushed through, they are trying to exert every last drop of power they have before the house of cards comes crashing down... Use jury nullification for the love of God. NULLIFY THEIR JUDICIAL TYRANNY

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:11 PM
link   

and can lead to bullying and radicalization.

What? How? Huh?

Holy hell there's dumb and then there's Vermont Senator John Rodgers dumb.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Got a link?

I added one but please include them in the future.
edit on 1/9/20 by FredT because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   
My 20 month old already can pick up a phone, scroll thru the notifications and delete them one by one. He's also taken a selfie and texted it to family.

All before his first words.

The world has changed. Phones can be misused but they're a technology which are engrained in society.

A better solution would be to create software where a phone disables if picked up when traveling faster than 15 MPH. Unless on an airplane, so say within 10 ft of the ground.
edit on 9-1-2020 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT
Got a link?

Stupid bill, not likely to pass, but here:

Fox Vermont

ETA:

I added one but please include them in the future.

Indeed.
edit on 9-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: MysticPearl

But what about passengers?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: MysticPearl
A better solution would be to create software where a phone disables if picked up when traveling faster than 15 MPH. Unless on an airplane, so say within 10 ft of the ground.

I agree actually. Right now its optional on the Iphone but it should be mandatory

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   
a reply to: FredT

That sort of leaves bus passengers, train passengers, and anyone in a vehicle not driving in the lurch. Police need to simply enforce the law, no need to squelch freedoms of everyone just because a handful of dipwads can't break themselves of the habit of texting and driving.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: FredT

originally posted by: MysticPearl

I agree actually. Right now its optional on the Iphone but it should be mandatory

You agree phone's services should be disabled, or mandatory to be disabled when driving? Who determines who is passenger and who is navigator?
edit on 9-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Just a reminder of the authoritarian left.

Now to be fair, I do believe you can get an abortion at the age of 13 there without parental consent.

You just can’t tweet about it or get an Uber home.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

Not to mention, there would be a way to override any shut down within hours of it being made mandatory.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: Atsbhct

But what about passengers?

In my scenario, the market quickly adapts.

There's cell holders/clips for drivers for things like navigation. So a phone can still be used when driving as long as its not held.

So create clips for passengers. A $10 clip/holder which attaches to the door.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Elect foolish folks to government positions....
....expect stupid laws.
You get what you vote for.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:32 PM
link   

A novel idea, but it would never fly. Do they only invent these for Vermont cellphones? Just American? Do auto makers need to be on board to make adapters for the clips? If your car is too old, you're just SOL?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

Me...texting my teenage daughter...
Where ya be?
Her.... texting a response....
At ****’s house...
Me....ok..

Me in Vermont ...
Where is my kid?........

Crickets....

Vermont can blow it out their bums...

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Man those people are gonna be piiiiissssed once they find out their cellphone bills will increase by 40% to offset the loss of revenue.

Besides, a phone is a tool.. how can you call for help in an emergency? Will the cops show up and arrest you, or will a paramedic show up to save you?

demz are making my brain hurt.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join