It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Transplant cures man of diabetes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:38 AM
link   
A man of 61 years of age has become the first person in the UK to be cured of type 1 diabetes as a result of a cell transplant technique, meaning this ground breaking technique will no longer require one to have insulin injections. Although this is a very exciting break through for people with this type of diabetes the technique is not full proof, with many patients still requiring top-up insulin. This development was made after Canadian researchers demonstrated that people with type 1 diabetes could remain free of insulin injections after the treatment was complete.

news.bbc.co.uk
A 61-year-old man has become the first person in the UK to be cured of type 1 diabetes thanks to a groundbreaking cell transplant technique.
After receiving insulin-making cells from the pancreases of dead donors, Richard Lane of Bromley, Kent, no longer needs insulin injections.

The King's College Hospital team said the breakthrough was hugely exciting for people with type 1 diabetes.

Mr Lane, who has had diabetes for over 30 years, had his first islet transplant in September, followed by a second transplant a month later and the third at the end of January.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Although this technique is still not pefect it is still a huge break through for people who have type 1 diabetes, and with further tests scientists will no doubt eventually make the treatment full proof.

In the future this will eventually become a wide spread treatment, meaning diabetes sufferes will no longer have to rely on insulin injections which will no doubt improve the way they live.

Related News Links:
news.bbc.co.uk
news.bbc.co.uk

[edit on 9-3-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Good find.

I've heard that work was being done on this. Good to see the progress. Many diabetics are relieved, I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
There are so many exciting medical breakthroughs coming down the road. Seems like they have also developed a virus that will attack cancer cells in the body and leave the good cells untouched. Times are changing!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
This is fantastic news, I have had type 1 diabetes for 4 years and it can be really depressing at times, knowing that you have something which can cause so many problems later in life and can only be controlled by 4 insulin shots a day.

I look forward to this being an available treatment for the masses!!!!!

Ps. does anyone know if this sort of treatment would require you to take anti rejection drugs? I heard these can cause cancer, please correct me if I am wrong.....

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by bernardbutler
Ps. does anyone know if this sort of treatment would require you to take anti rejection drugs? I heard these can cause cancer, please correct me if I am wrong.....

I don't know to be honest, but it seems nearly anything can cause cancer these days so what the hell.

Here's some more info on it anyway:

Hope on diabetes

Synthetic insulin is needed to fight the shortage of the hormone – made in the pancreas of people without diabetes – that normally turns glucose in the blood into energy for the cells. In type-1 diabetes, islet cells in the pancreas, which produce insulin, are destroyed by the body's immune system.

The procedure with Mr Lane involved harvesting thousands of cells from the pancreases of organ donors. They were injected through his side into a vein in his liver. They have now developed their own blood supply and produced insulin.

Experts have been trying for years to perfect islet transplants, and the success has been hailed as a "hugely exciting breakthrough" by Mr Lane's doctor, Prof Stephanie Amiel.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

[edit on 10-3-2005 by John Nada]

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Yeah you're probably right John! Thanks for the info..

Bernard

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Yeah you're probably right John! Thanks for the info..

Bernard

No worries man.

by the way (off topic), what's Bernard Butler up to these days? hehe...

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I haven't researched it - but - my baby brother had a heart transplant at 21 - he's now in his mid-forties, and has taken heavy anti-rejection drugs all his adult life. No cancer, even though it runs in the family.

...Sometimes we need to weigh the risks. Do the research and talk to your docs. Downside on anti-rejection drugs is no kids (they cause genetic mutations). ...There are other options of course.

posted on Mar, 12 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   
"by the way (off topic), what's Bernard Butler up to these days? hehe..."

he he.. Bernard Butler has given up the high life and is buying produce for supermarkets.........

" ...Sometimes we need to weigh the risks. Do the research and talk to your docs. Downside on anti-rejection drugs is no kids (they cause genetic mutations). ...There are other options of course."

Fair point soficrow, I have a 4 year old and one due in October I would probaly just get a vat of the good stuff frozen and get popping those anti-rejection tabs. Still it looks a long way off!! By the time they make this a cure I am sure they would of developed the stem cell process and there will be no need for the drugs. First time I have posted on ABTS feels like a real community, thanks people...

top topics

join