It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumbling sounds heard in Howard County

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
I live in Ellicott City, Howard County, Maryland and since around Christmas time up until now, I have been hearing daily rumbling sounds coming from somewhere within the area. I am not sure what it is but it sure feels like an earthquake or something and it typically lasts for just a brief moment, maybe just like a continuous second or two. There is no specific time but we have been hearing it typically in the early afternoon or sometimes late morning periods.

There are a couple military bases within a 30 minute drive. There is an Army base in Fort Meade, not so far away and I am thinking maybe they are performing some sort of exercise there but I am not sure. I have been living in the county for over 15 years and never have I heard anything like this. If there is anyone who lives out here or who might have heard or know what's going on, please shed some light.

Fort Meade Army Base

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Have they put in a reciprocating gas power plant generator around there lately. They did here and people hear the motors running in the city up to a half mile away. They say they are working on getting it taken care of, but taking care of it means that hopefully the people get use to it I guess, because they have done nothing to fix the problem. It is traveling through the rock, it will not get better.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Sounds like a tunnel boring machine passing by. Has been a few similar reports on these boards over the years. Some can travel about 7 miles a day depending on the conditions. If it has been going on for a couple of week it could be particularity tough ground, why the occasional rattles when breaking up the stronger rocks. Might also be tunneling out extra space for a DUMB.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Jaellma

One possibility, could be using infrasound to create a vague disquiet among the population. If it was constant, it might be just machinery. If it is intermittent, you have to ask why.

Keep them unsettled. They will start making bad choices. They are more compliant.

Infrasound - Human Reactions
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   
Hi...i thought I'd message you and let you know if you Google " Canadian earthquakes" .you'll find a A LOT on the East Coast of Canada very close to the US.
I hope this helps .reply to: Jaellma

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 05:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: chr0naut

One possibility, could be using infrasound to create a vague disquiet among the population. If it was constant, it might be just machinery. If it is intermittent, you have to ask why.

Keep them unsettled. They will start making bad choices. They are more compliant.

Infrasound - Human Reactions
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The sound is very intermittent and as said before it is just a heavy rumbling sound that lasts for a couple of seconds, the most. It sounds like someone dropped a 18 wheeler full of stuff from 100 feet up onto the roadway and then silence for quite some time. Not sure what it is but I am still researching.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:49 AM
link   

I'm not familiar with the area so probably not much help here, but, do live anywhere near a quarry?

We have a couple small ones within 10-20 miles of my home, and they do blasting on an irregular schedule.

Occasionally it sounds alot like what your describing.

On a quiet or foggy day it can be unsettling when a sudden rumble/roar presents itself.

Or possibly tectonic movements?

I'm really just stabbing away in the dark here.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 07:59 AM
link   
For the last four nights my wife and I have heard them, deep rumbling noises seemingly from the sky. It's freaked us out, always happens at night and we aren't the only ones that hear it. This is in Miami, FL FYI so it's not just where you are either. Sounds like nothing i have ever heard and they don't bore tunnels down here......

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 09:04 AM
link   

My first thought would be some flood-control tunnels or infrastructure construction - as you know, historic Ellicott has suffered another devastating flood and part of the remediation plan is to built a new tunnel. But I dont think that's started yet. But I believe they may still be clearing debris from existing flood channels.

Also, road and other construction projects often require blasting - there are some nearby projects like on i-70, could be hearing that.

Coincidentally, though, I live about 50 miles away, and thought I felt / heard a small earthquake Monday.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 09:06 AM
link   
I don't know if what I've been hearing is the same as what you all are but I am out in the country in the Midwest and 3-4 times since Spring I have heard a rumble in the sky. It sounds to me like thunder, not right up on you, more like a few miles away. But it doesn't stop when normal thunder stops. It keeps going long enough for you to notice it is not normal. Like a long low rumble. But longer than I've ever heard a normal thunder in my lifetime.
edit on 9-1-2020 by JourneyAbout because: Clarification

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 09:39 AM
link   
Nine times out of ten, it's just the rumble of an aircraft landing nearby an airport or air Base. I hear sounds like that everyday, but only when the planes come in from a specific flight path. When there's enough empty land immediately adjacent to the landing spot it helps the echo travel or something

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 10:59 AM
link   

I'll ask my son if he's heard it, he lives in that area.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 11:24 AM
link   
a rep

ly to: Jaellma

Did you have kielbasa and sour croute for breakfast?

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 12:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: worldstarcountry
Nine times out of ten, it's just the rumble of an aircraft landing nearby an airport or air Base. I hear sounds like that everyday, but only when the planes come in from a specific flight path. When there's enough empty land immediately adjacent to the landing spot it helps the echo travel or something

+1

aircraft sound carries well

Maryland ANG is busy this month. I hear them where I am.

any railroad tracks near you? they can make some interesting noises.
edit on 01032020 by ElGoobero because: add useful content

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 01:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: ElGoobero

originally posted by: worldstarcountry

+1

aircraft sound carries well

Maryland ANG is busy this month. I hear them where I am.

any railroad tracks near you? they can make some interesting noises.

Negative. I've been living here for over 15 years and I've never heard this noise up until almost 2 weeks ago.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mikemp44
For the last four nights my wife and I have heard them, deep rumbling noises seemingly from the sky. It's freaked us out, always happens at night and we aren't the only ones that hear it. This is in Miami, FL FYI so it's not just where you are either. Sounds like nothing i have ever heard and they don't bore tunnels down here......

Quite interesting. My wife and I agree we don't know if it's coming from the sky or the earth but one thing for sure we can feel the earth shake along with the sound, so yeah, very interesting.

I'm ruling out planes landing nearby because we see planes flying overhead all day long for 15 years and never once have we heard this noise until recently. Also ruling out railroad noises because the nearest tracks are 15 miles away and it's status quo just as in the airplane scenario. Just bizarre.
edit on 9-1-2020 by Jaellma because: (no reason given)

top topics

join