It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If Trump is able to avoid war, will he get any credit?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Boadicea
a reply to: network dude

If Trump is able to avoid war, will he get any credit?

Please define "war" and "avoid" in this context.

Trump cannot formally and officially declare war. Only Congress can do so. And, of course, Iran can declare "war" in any case. Trump has no control or authority over either Congress or Iran.

But Trump has already committed an "act of war," even if no war has been declared. Weapons of war have been used -- even if no war has been declared. People have died -- even if no war has been declared.

Isn't this really just semantics? Trump is already engaged in acts of "war"... it just hasn't been formally declared.

So has Trump "avoided" war if no one declares it a war?

What, exactly, should Trump get "credit" for?

War, you will know it when you see it. And the avoiding part, well, I feel like that will also be self evident. If Trump is able to move forward without escalating the conflict with Iran, and DE-ESCALATE the current tensions, I feel like that will be a win for both sides. I feel like if that is the outcome, it will be a good one and worthy of praise for all who were part of it happening.

I don't know if you remember, but this started with Iran attacking the US embassy. That was an act of war. As much as I'm against war, I am also against looking weak and inept as a nation. It's an ugly fine line that needs to be balanced and I really don't think it's an easy one, with war hawks screaming in one ear and haters who claim they want peace screaming in the other.

And in the end, if only I feel like he did a good job, it will be enough for me.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

originally posted by: gortex

Why would he get credit for avoiding a war he had provoked ?

Would you give him credit if you were in the embassy being attacked. If he called in the calvary and twarted it. I don't like Obama but I would have given him credit if he stopped Bebghazi and saved me. Unfortunately I would be dead.

That poster doesn't care, they don't even protect themselves and just expect the US to fight their wars. They all like to dump on our troops and military for being over there, but the leaders they vote for want us over there.

The minute we withdraw from the European and ME countries, countries like his would find themselves being pressured and bullied immediately if they knew we didn't have their back. They talk a tough game when the US taxpayer is fronting the bill for deterrence.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Soleimani the saint....i know. Iran hasn't done anything wrong. They haven't harassed ships in Hormuz. They didn't kill an American contractor. They are just persecuted. And even if they accidentally did violate maritime law, we have no right to do anything about it. We need to just come to Irans heel and realize that they are acting in everyones best interest by lobbing missiles through proxies into civilian areas.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:43 AM
link   

what should have happened when the US embassy was attacked? Explain the situation and how you would have done it.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Sillyolme

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Credit?

Sorry, but you don't get credit for avoiding a war that you almost started. That's like asking for credit not giving somebody a concussion after you've walked up behind them and slugged them with a baseball bat.

Trump could have avoided a war simply by going golfing instead. Or sleeping in, or literally anything else.

War with Iran isn't inevitable, it's an artificially created situation caused by hawks in Washington demanding that nobody have greater regional influence than America.

My thoughts exactly. You don't get credit for getting us out of the trouble you got us into.

He has to go. NOW !

Let me clarify my previous post calling you a deranged America hater.
Trump made the final decision to hit General Salami Stick but he certainly didn’t do it without the advice of top level military advisers such as the Joint Chiefs of Staff etc.
The General that you were obviously so fond of, committed various acts of terrorism against American military personnel and others throughout the region and probably the world.
Those are known facts, something you deranged Leftists have a hard time with given the fantasy world you guys reside in.
When a weak president such as Obama, gave the Iranians pallets of cash on his apology tour, you probably loved that I am sure.
Even after accepting the cash from Obama, they still conducted terrorist operations against the USA.
Maybe you should move to Iran and see how an ass backwards country treat women and gays.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: Stupidsecrets

originally posted by: AaarghZombies

Credit?

Sorry, but you don't get credit for avoiding a war that you almost started. That's like asking for credit not giving somebody a concussion after you've walked up behind them and slugged them with a baseball bat.

Trump could have avoided a war simply by going golfing instead. Or sleeping in, or literally anything else.

War with Iran isn't inevitable, it's an artificially created situation caused by hawks in Washington demanding that nobody have greater regional influence than America.

What would you have done. Sounds like you would do nothing if an embassy is attacked. Doesn't impact you right. Nobody in the embassy you personally care about. Just remember this; if you were in there he would have tried to save you and prevent more attacks.

I guess that you didn't hear, but Trump caused the embassy attack in the first place. He attacked them and killed 15 Iraqi citizens, they responded by laying siege to the embassy.

You can't take credit for not responding to something that you started.

I wouldn't have needed to do anything, because I wouldn't have started a fight in the first place. I'd have used a soft power solution rather than a military one.

Trump's problem is that he takes everything as a personal challenge. Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor.

If Washington takes a step back and stops trying to back Iran into corner, Iran will take a step back, too. Right now Isis is the bigger threat. If Washington steps back Iran will get on with fighting them and won't bother with the US.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:49 AM
link   

a reply to: DBCowboy

He is a coward. Mr. Bone spurs.
Everyone knows that he cheated his way out of selective service just like he cheats at everything.
Everyone knows.

I really get a kick out of this when you prove me right.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:50 AM
link   
First, no one on either side is saying this guy was a saint so stop that bs right now.
Second, there is ample reasons why it was not done in the past. And it was not cowardice or doubt. It was to maintain stability.
Even though he was crap he was better alive crap than a dead martyr.

Did you even read how this drastic option was only put on the list so that Trump would chose one of the other options?
But noooooo. He goes for the most drastic option on the list.
edit on 182020 by Sillyolme because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Like that could ever happen.
Doesn't change the fact he's a coward.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Everyone knows that he cheated his way out of selective service just like he cheats at everything.
Everyone knows.

"Hillary will beat Trump and EVERYONE knows it"

-sillyolme Oct 2016

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   

hahahaha

You do it daily.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Scepticaldem
lol
that is interesting

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   

First, no one on either side is saying this guy was a saint so stop that bs right now.
Second, there is ample reasons why it was not done in the past. And it was not cowardice or doubt. It was to maintain stability.
Even though he was crap he was better alive crap than a dead martyr.

Did you even read how this drastic option was only put on the list so that Trump would chose one of the other options?
But noooooo. He goes for the most drastic option on the list.

is that how it went down in the situation room?

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Scepticaldem
How's that neck feel always turned around looking at the past?
He cheated at that too. Give us a break that's something else everyone knows.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
Credit for what? He withdrew from the nuclear agreement when his own advisors and intel told him there's no evidence Iran was making a bomb.

He instigated and escalated the current tensions by assassinating the Iranian envoy while Iran, Saudi and Iraq were conducting peace/de-escalisation talks after Trumps actions and withdrawl from the nuclear agreement.

Are you ok with Iran stoning to death gays. Did you know if a Muslim born converts to another religion they are executed in Iran. If you are not ok with that why would you want to work out anything with them at all and keep their system thriving? Maybe you are ok with it....

edit on 8-1-2020 by Stupidsecrets because: (no reason given)

link   
Well yes but with pictures because capt bone spurs has a short attention span.
And a limited vocabulary.

link   

Everyone knows.

90% of his deferment time was because of college not medical.

And the bone spurs were "on record" long before the college deferments anyway genius 😃

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
something about bringing facts here...
lol
what a new year

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:58 AM
link   
a reply to: AaarghZombies

I guess you didn't hear that the reason Trump responded as he did was because Iran attacked and killed an American contractor a week earlier before the attack on the embassy. He weighed his options on how to respond and that is why the attack on the terrorist general was expediently and efficiently taken out. It was not a rushed emotional response.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Iran has been destroying American assets for decades and Trump has been restrain-full.

Why would a full scale attack happen now ? 😃

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join