It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukrainian 737 down in Iran

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:21 AM
link   
According to some sources, the Iranian media has portrayed the attack as a heavy blow to the US, with a large number of dead US troops, even though it seems to have been calculated to not actually kill anyone.

If you were an Iranian SAM site commander, and all the local news were blaring how you had just struck the US a terrible blow, you would perhaps not unreasonably be sweating just a little.

And, being in a SAM site, you might worry that you would be the very first to feel the wrath of the US response sure to follow.

It isn't very difficult to imagine someone panicking and shooting down a civilian aircraft.

Especially since there could be absolutely nothing to gain by anyone that I can imagine by downing a civilian airliner over Iran.
Except, perhaps, if there was someone aboard running away with something that could not be suffered to be taken abroad at any cost.

Most likely it was someone panicking in a very tense moment.
edit on 8-1-2020 by beetee because: Added source for Iranian claims

edit on 8-1-2020 by beetee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   
a reply to: roadgravel

Data recorders are sent to other countries all the time, if the country leading the investigation needs help decoding them for whatever reason. They travel with someone from that country for chain of custody.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Well, let's hope that's what they are doing. I haven't heard that though.

ETA - Plus, it's a very odd response so quickly from Iran. Rather than say how they will cooperate with all concerned countries to get to the bottom of the crash, they instead almost immediately issue this terse statement saying they won't give up the black boxes. Don't you find that the least bit odd??? What would motivate someone to respond this way? Maybe they have something they'd rather not have discovered?

ETA2 - Correction - It appears Iran's Civil Aviation authority has said they will not give the black boxes to "Boeing", not that they won't give up the black boxes and/or their data at all, or to someone else...yet. I stand corrected.
edit on 1/8/2020 by Flyingclaydisk because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk

Well, depends on how Iran reacts. If they stay with 'technical problems' then things might be okay (sort of). On the other hand, if Iran pivots and suddenly starts saying the US shot the airliner down, well, that's a whole other matter.

For my part, I'd love to see a Q&A discussion with the guy who shot that twitter video (if he's still alive). I'd love to hear what prompted him to start recording video! I doubt he was just walking down the street capturing video in the dark.

It was like 630 am hardly early to be out I walk my dogs at that time

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   

originally posted by: Flyingclaydisk
ETA2 - Correction - It appears Iran's Civil Aviation authority has said they will not give the black boxes to "Boeing", not that they won't give up the black boxes and/or their data at all, or to someone else. I stand corrected.

Meh, they give them to Ukraine and then Ukraine calls Boeing. Let's see if they even give them up considering what's being speculated on right now.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:49 AM
link   
a reply to: Woody510

Who said anything about it being too early???

Not me.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:56 AM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

I doubt they will, but I just wanted to be factual.

I'll bet those things are locked down tighter than...well...never mind.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 09:58 AM
link   
a reply to: Flyingclaydisk

You wanted to know why he was walking down the street in the dark?! He was probably going to work

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:11 AM
link   

Hey all, be careful about analysis of holes in various parts of the plane. For example: these images show the same piece, where at least some of the "holes" actually appear to be small rocks or other debris in higher resolution images.

twitter.com...

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

More like a Hawk.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: RexKramerPRT

Some may be, but others definitely aren't.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: JIMC5499

Now that will do Bad Things to a 737.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Still appear to be penetration holes to me

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:40 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Some may be, but others definitely aren't.

I agree. I think that's all the guy on Twitter was saying and probably why he only highlighted that one.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
A massive failure brought on by a SAM impact.

Yes, that is plausible given the situation the night of the tragedy. I guess we have to wait and see. I wonder whether Iran would attempt to cover it up if they did accidently shoot the plane down.

Regadless, at this time it is speculation unless something factual has been released.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: paraphi

I am certain they would cover it up. They have already walked back the engine failure statement and said they won't release the black boxes....even to Boeing.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:33 AM
link   
The plane had took off and was about 8,000 ft up. Time?? According to the flight data it took off at 2.42 am UTC. Now what's UTC and what was the real time. Help!

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:36 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

They departed at 6:12am local.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:41 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Universal Time Coordinated

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 11:42 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Yep. It sounds like the "Black Boxes" are now Iran's property.

twitter.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join