It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ukrainian 737 down in Iran

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: RickyD

The warhead is packed with pieces of metal. When the explosives detonate, the shards of metal are launched in all directions. It has a proximity fuse that detonates the warhead before impact to maximize damage.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to: RickyD

That looks like the vertical stabilizer flipped over from some earlier pictures.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Remy84

I did go back and look at it with what Zaphod said in mind and as much as that end tip does remind me of a wing the curve of the piece isn't the semi teardrop shape wings use to produce lift. The other thing I noticed was upon zooming way in I couldn't see any of the usual markings of a wing...like no step and fuel and other identifications usually found on wings. At first I thought maybe fire burned it off but you can clearly see paint under the soot still so I doubt all of that would have burned off.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
A former FAA chief of staff has said it could be an uncontained engine failure. I can't think of any instances of uncontained engine failure that brought an aircraft down in an even remotely similar fashion.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Took me a minute are you talking about this pic

If so compare to this one

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:13 PM
link   

That actually might be one of the horizontal stabilizers.
edit on 1/8/2020 by Zaphod58 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Looking specifically at the small entry hole in the first pic you can see the exit on the back side. Center of the fin about 4 feet from the top. Looks like a bullet hit at an upward angle from back to front. I do see how that could be debris/shrapnel though as well.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Horizontal control surfaces extend all the way to the tip. looks more like the rudder.

edit to add pic

edit on 8-1-2020 by Remy84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Ove38
The war stopped because of the plane

It's ok, Im sure there'll be another one....

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:25 PM
link   

After looking at pics of their aircraft, that's definitely the vertical fin turned over. Interesting that the other side shows so much more damage. The hole on the right side of the fin looks like an entry, but the left side looks like it was burned or caught in an explosion.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It looked like the stabs on their airline were painted blue, but I found an overhead and they're silver. Definitely the vertical fin, you're right.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Those pics just have a lot to think about in them as well. The burning looks like it was done in flight because no char marks or burnt vegetation on the ground. Like you said entry damage from the opposite side of the burn damage doesn't add up either. I read these boards all the time specifically for Zaph's comments when it comes to aviation incidents. Only reason I made the account because I wanted his thoughts on that pic.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58
a reply to: carewemust

It overheated when it caught fire after the missile hit. Engine problems don't cause the things that happened to this aircraft.

Excerpted from: www.timesofisrael.com...

Western intelligence agencies believe that a Ukrainian plane that crashed Wednesday in Iran suffered a technical malfunction and was not shot down, the Reuters news agency reported.

The report quoted five unnamed security sources — three American, one European and one Canadian — as saying the initial assessment is that Tehran’s explanation is accurate. The Canadian source was quoted as saying there was evidence one of the aircraft’s engines had overheated.
Sounds like someone is trying to clear Iran of responsibility doesn't it?

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:49 PM
link   
a reply to: carewemust

Of course. If they say it was shot down, there almost has to be a response of some kind. If it suffered a technical malfunction, there's no one to blame. The crew and passengers are dead, so they're not going to dispute it.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Cleaner pic.

edit on 8-1-2020 by Bigburgh because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Remy84
Took me a minute are you talking about this pic

If so compare to this one

Well you can definitely see an entry and exit hole in the vert fin.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 06:11 PM
link   

My buddy and I think, based on the damage and the flight path, that the missile detonated on the right. This created the entry hole we see on the right, as well as jamming the right side fight controls, creating the right curve seen in the data. Shrapnel went through the fuselage and started a fire on the left side, which would have been blown back along the fuselage and vertical fin, causing the burn damage on that side.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 06:12 PM
link   
Here's a couple of comparison pics of MH17. MH17 was hit in the cockpit, but you can see to the outer edge of the shrapnel damage the larger puncture holes that look similar to the debris of the crash site. On the other side of the plane is some exit damage. I'd put money on, the rest of the tail section took the main hit like MH17's cockpit.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

Would a hit to the tail be consistent with the video taken?

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 06:24 PM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy

If I had to guess, between the stabs and the wing was the detonation point.

new topics

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join