It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pentagon says Iran attacked two Iraqi bases housing US forces

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: olaru12
Now I guess we have to wonder what countries will side with Iran. It's looking Biblical....

None so far. They've made a tremendous list of enemies over the past 4 decades. China is likely selling them weapons and tech behind the scenes and Turkey may ultimately be their primary ally in an actual war, but ultimately this will look similar to Iraq or Afghanistan and foreign fighters will enter their country in support (if the Pentagon is foolish enough to put a US boot in country rather than handling the entire conflict with missiles, bombs, and drones), but they will lack allies of note.

You don't think Russia and China would want to use this as an opportunity to fight the US via proxy.....? Not just in weapons sales as you stated but also with logistics...?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

originally posted by: olaru12
Now I guess we have to wonder what countries will side with Iran. It's looking Biblical....

So you believe in the Revelations in the Bible ?
If you did , you would understand that what has to happen before , has not happened.

What would that be?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:17 PM
link   
I hate to be the one to have to ask, but has there been any independent confirmation that Iran launched the missiles? All the news stories I've read just say that the Pentagon said it was Iran with no details or explanation. Did Iran take credit? Do we have radar data or anything? I would imagine that everybody and his brother is monitoring the airspace in that region.

I'm not saying Iran didn't do it. I would just like a source other than the Pentagon's say so.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:20 PM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Iran claimed they did.
Iran released video of missile launches.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: PilSungMtnMan

Iran claimed they did.
Iran released video of missile launches.

Thanks.

Got a link for that?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:34 PM
link   

www.cbsnews.com...

m.youtube.com...

edit on 7-1-2020 by PilSungMtnMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 10:23 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Ha ha, I bow before your superior intellect and foresight........

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 10:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: andy06shake
a reply to: Freeborn

Madness is a perfect assessment of the whole situation.

Sad state of affairs brought about by rather a sad excuse for a Human being.

The Iranians kill a US contractor and injure US troops...

In revenge, 25 Iranians are killed by the US...

In revenge, the US embassy is attacked without casualties...

In revenge, the US assassinate a military leader of a country they are not at war with...

In revenge, the Iranians attack two bases...

Meanwhile, a passenger liner flying from Tehran with 180 people on board crashes in mysterious circumstances so far...

Wow... Madness with a massive throbbing M...

edit on 7-1-2020 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 10:42 PM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

Purdy sure there is a language barrier..."revenge" for the knee-capping of the British for their 'sovereign' claims in Persia?

Too bad those idiots shorting Tesla stock are about to make Elon Musk even more of a megalomaniac (or visionary depending on your critical thinking skills)...visionary and megalomaniac FTW.

Maybe Exxon will admit that humankind does, indeed, affect the global climate (and yes, I got the goods to provoke the climate-disruption-crowd;...fu$k it, y'all are just here to hear (not listen) yourselves talk, so its moot).

Peace in the Middle East, Jimmy Carter-style.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

The following is my take on the situation based on information I have seen and my intuition:

Iran's missile strike against U.S. military/coalition bases in Iraq is for propaganda purposes. The attacks did little material damage, but they are a propaganda coup for the Iranian regime. However, the most crucial aspect of the situation is the calculations made by Iran's political and military decision-makers. Their analysis deducted retaliation in the widely reported form would not trigger an outright war with the U.S.

Iran relies on U.S. military planners "memory" of the Gulf War, 1991. The American lead coalitions air and naval superiority didn't prevent Iraq from launching Scud Missiles against Saudi Arabia and Israel. Ultimately, Iraq's attempts to drag Israel into the conflict and collapse the Arab coalition failed.

The risk is what happens if U.S. and Iranian state actors act in an unexpectedly aggressive manner. (Today's, the missile strike was widely expected, so the delicate tight rope exercise was not upset.) Once the apple cart is overturned, people 30 and under face interviews with draft boards.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 01:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
Trump is Awesome

That's all it takes to get 5 stars, my friend.

I've been tempted to do the same thing but..

I don't know, this entire ethics thing has me messed up lately. I start to judge everyone I see or read doing things that I'm "above" because they're "wrong" and it leaves me kind of lonely and bitter.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 02:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: ConfusedBrit

Madness is a perfect assessment of the whole situation.

Sad state of affairs brought about by rather a sad excuse for a Human being.

The Iranians kill a US contractor and injure US troops...

In revenge, the US embassy is attacked without casualties...

In revenge, the US assassinate a military leader of a country they are not at war with...

In revenge, the Iranians attack two bases...

Meanwhile, a passenger liner flying from Tehran with 180 people on board crashes in mysterious circumstances so far...

Wow... Madness with a massive throbbing M...

It admittedly makes the U.S. look bad globally. Nobody can be a bitch, but the responses have to be "proportional" as gets stated alot by both sides. I read a statement from Iran using the word or a synonym for it. "Don't hit us too hard, this was proportionate for killing Soleimani"

Also, what if the missiles fired at the U.S. airbases had actually caused casualties? They'd never admit it, but the Iranians probably estimated that the casualty amount would be 0 and that it was a gesture for all to see, a play move.

They only picked 2 airbases with the radar and facilities designed for these attacks. Still, had they "messed up" and "accidently" killed americans, it'd be a full on war for sure. Their proxy, an "independent" group killed the american contractor, not an official Iranian attack. This would've been different. I also read the U.S. soldiers had sufficient warning to get in bomb shelters first. It didn't elaborate on if they detected the incoming missiles or if they were informed of it.

I'd like to think they were informed by Iraq at the request of Iran to help ensure no casualties.

The mob that attacked the embassy, that's definitely grey area as to it being a direct Iranian order or from General Soleimani. These things happen in a Shia area influenced by Iranian everything because they're basically Iranians that were born in Iraq anyway. They didn't have firepower and they didn't get far. What they did was comparable to Europeans when they riot. I'm sure they had some direction but I don't think it was from the Iranian rulers or that they knew about it.
edit on 8-1-2020 by FlyingSquirrel because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 02:10 AM
link   

a reply to: silo13

Iran has not overtly attacked anyone without good cause in the past 200 years.

Im pretty sure Trump can't remember his last Big Mac nevermind history.

The deescalating i definitely agree.

"Overtly" Like the way you put that.

"Covertly?"

Kind regards,

Bally

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 02:18 AM
link   
It will be interesting to hear what President Trump says when he addresses the World, later this morning.

If the Iran "misses" were part of a coordinated plan so Iran leadership could look big and mean, then President Trump will not be hard on them. He'll say, lets cease hostilities and all interested nations sit down and work out a new Nuclear Weapons Deal.

So far, all evidence is pointing in that direction. A sure sign, is how liberal talking heads are responding tonight. Responses ranging from disbelief/shock, to going full TDS, with: "Trump is lying! All he does is LIE. There has to be dead Americans! Did you see those explosions!?!"

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:11 AM
link   

that was an regular boeing crasch …...sad as it is

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: Aallanon
Trump is Awesome

Only thing Trump is awesome at is gaining a fanatical following, which is always worrying!

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: Freeborn
a reply to: andy06shake

Trump left Iran with no alternative but to retaliate in some way.

Yet apparently you feel the US had alternatives to retaliating against hundreds of US deaths the terrorist Iranian regime has sponsored over the past decade? I'm sorry, but your logic is off kilter. Peace at any cost, when dealing with an enemy that is on a religious crusade, only leads to laying in a ditch raped, beaten to death, and beheaded. We're dealing with an entity that doesn't speak tea and crumpets, they speak death... it is what they worship and what they respect. We simply need to find the magical threshold at which the tolls is too great and their mind and body are broken. That's called "war" and it is the language the Ayatollahs speak. You may value a country that cowers before that to avoid it at all costs, I value a country that rolls up her sleeves and proceeds to exact a pound of flesh for every hairline scratch acquired.

Yeah, and I bet you do not think about the millions of innocent deaths that come with war! All for what? A buck of sociopaths arguing who has the biggest guns! Bloody sad that people fall for it every time! The losers in all this is always the innocent people!

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:38 AM
link   
a reply to: bally001

Their hands are definitely dirty with regards to there covert terrorist acts and support.

Then again we have had a finger in that pie by way of our support for the likes of the Taliban's rise to power not so long ago.

End of the day lets just hope everyone begins to see sense and at least open up some form of dialogue that's not twitter.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:42 AM
link   

I think the airliner suffered a major engine fire during takeoff leading to the crash which is apparently confirmed by the black box found.

Timing does indeed seem suspect as hell all the same.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:53 AM
link   
a reply to: Aallanon

Aye, it must be all that ""Awesome"" that's coming out Trump's puss.

At least he has somewhat calmed down threatening war crimes for the time being.

Hopefully, Iran calms down and stops any further missile barrages, ineffective or otherwise, and Trump keeps the head and war is averted.
edit on 8-1-2020 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join