It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Norton Warning When I'm in ATS - "Fake Tech Support"

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:29 PM
link   
It's been happening since yesterday. When I go from one thread to my profile or other thread, Norton detecting this problem :

This attack forces me to close ATS window and reload it. Norton is blocking the sucker but it's annoying anyway.

I clicked the alert signal to staff.

edit on 7-1-2020 by Trueman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman
Download Ccleaner, close your browser, install it and run it. Make sure to uncheck the box that leaves the last 24 hours of junk files on the HDD. Then download and run ADWcleaner and Malwarebytes both available free from malwarebytes website.

Lastly, I encourage you to get rid of Norton, it is the worst anti-virus on earth, Mcafee runs a close second, but it IS your computer, do as you will.

edit on 1/7/2020 by Klassified because: disclaimer

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:49 PM
link   
You most likely have a virus
That IP address is tied to malware of some form .
Do exactly what was recommended in the post above this one .

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I just started getting messages from my avast about blocking a website today while visiting ATS . Ran Avast and ccleaner and it was still happening. Of course, it has stopped now . It was happening all the time.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Ok, but why only happens with ATS ?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
It's happening again with mine.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   
FYI for everyone

Keep Malwarebytes installed , but set to no real time protection and not to start with Windows .
That way it will not disable the normal AV , and will be additional protection .
Run at need and at least once/week.
It's a wild world out there.

edit on 1/7/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:27 PM
link   
a reply to: Trueman

U2U, sir. Id help you more if i still lived in north jersey. :-/

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
After more research :
Fake Tech Support .
Sometimes they plant malware on a system , then offer to help .
If you get a call from Microsoft Tech Support , ignore it.
It's not Microsoft.

I submitted the file they planted on my system to the Microsoft Defender Team .

edit on 1/7/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 11:52 PM
link   
For what it's worth I've had computer wizard tech savvy friends tell me anti virus software, at least the mainstream ones like Norton, are a joke and a huge scam.

I am definitely not a computer wizard. When I asked what virus protection program to use they just laugh and point to their head. "This, this is my virus protection"

I guess those of us who are computer illiterate are out of luck lol.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Trueman

Possibly another one of the nefarious advertisements.

Norton is a notoriously bad AV, as is McAfee - love the guy though, he's not had anything to do with the company for over 15 years however.

I don't even use an anti virus. Not that I trust windows defender, I just load most dodgy websites in a sandbox, and run anything I download from them in a vm. If it works, then I can just copy the 'fixed' copy of the app over to my real windows. If not, just reset the vm.

I've not had a problem with trojans or viruses in as long as I can remember. Apart from those weird fake microsoft popups that refuse to close, so I just load task manager and close it manually, and it's fine after.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
After more research :
Fake Tech Support .
Sometimes they plant malware on a system , then offer to help .
If you get a call from Microsoft Tech Support , ignore it.
It's not Microsoft.

I submitted the file they planted on my system to the Microsoft Defender Team .

Some Indian guy named Steve is always a dead give away. And when they ask you to pay via iTune cards, and want to stay on the phone with you as they expect you to drive to a walmart to buy $200 worth, haha..

Kitboga rules...

edit on 8-1-2020 by TrustedTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TrustedTruth

Possibly another one of the nefarious advertisements

Exactly what I think it is.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:31 AM
link   

a reply to: TrustedTruth

Possibly another one of the nefarious advertisements

Exactly what I think it is.

That's what they almost always are.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: SuicideKing33
For what it's worth I've had computer wizard tech savvy friends tell me anti virus software, at least the mainstream ones like Norton, are a joke and a huge scam.

I am definitely not a computer wizard. When I asked what virus protection program to use they just laugh and point to their head. "This, this is my virus protection"

Uh ....no .
Just no.
Those are definitely not "computer wizard tech savvy" friends .
I have a different descriptor for them....

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrustedTruth

Possibly another one of the nefarious advertisements.

Norton is a notoriously bad AV, as is McAfee - love the guy though, he's not had anything to do with the company for over 15 years however.

I don't even use an anti virus. Not that I trust windows defender, I just load most dodgy websites in a sandbox, and run anything I download from them in a vm. If it works, then I can just copy the 'fixed' copy of the app over to my real windows. If not, just reset the vm.

I've not had a problem with trojans or viruses in as long as I can remember. Apart from those weird fake microsoft popups that refuse to close, so I just load task manager and close it manually, and it's fine after.

TSK , TSK , TSK
I don't know where to start with this one.....
I am flabbergasted.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Not to dis your acquaintances at all, but they are partially right. Yes, consumer level anti-virus and "security suites" are mostly junk programs with bells and whistles to attract the ignorant. Endpoint protection clients are better but still lacking. Arguably, less is more when it comes to protection. A simple anti-virus like Windows Security and malware protection like Malwarebytes, along with Ccleaner is a good combination. The best protection is an educated end-user.
Unfortunately, a lot of the younger techs and IT guys out there have fallen for the corporate scams and lies and push the corporate line when it comes to security. In general, corporations want you ignorant because an informed customer won't buy their less than stellar offerings. The good news is, more and more people are realizing that the biggest scam in the computer industry is the industry itself.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Not to dis your acquaintances at all, but they are partially right. Yes, consumer level anti-virus and "security suites" are mostly junk programs with bells and whistles to attract the ignorant. Endpoint protection clients are better but still lacking. Arguably, less is more when it comes to protection. A simple anti-virus like Windows Security and malware protection like Malwarebytes, along with Ccleaner is a good combination. The best protection is an educated end-user.
Unfortunately, a lot of the younger techs and IT guys out there have fallen for the corporate scams and lies and push the corporate line when it comes to security. In general, corporations want you ignorant because an informed customer won't buy their less than stellar offerings. The good news is, more and more people are realizing that the biggest scam in the computer industry is the industry itself.

Yes, consumer level anti-virus and "security suites" are mostly junk programs with bells and whistles to attract the ignorant

20 years ago.

A simple anti-virus like Windows Security and malware protection like Malwarebytes, along with Ccleaner is a good combination.

Now that is something we can both agree on .

Unfortunately, a lot of the younger techs and IT guys out there have fallen for the corporate scams and lies and push the corporate line when it comes to security.

That depends on what you define as the "corporate line"

In general, corporations want you ignorant because an informed customer won't buy their less than stellar offerings

In actuality most corporations are going above and beyond. Re: Specter/Meltdown.

The good news is, more and more people are realizing that the biggest scam in the computer industry is the industry itself.

See above related to Specter/Meltdown.

posted on Jan, 27 2020 @ 07:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Groot

For those who have never heard me say you should only use webroot antivirus for antivirus... its worse than i thought. Avast not only sucks at antivirus, but they also steal your data.

avast steals user data

posted on Feb, 2 2020 @ 09:12 AM
link   
a reply to: Gothmog
Somehow, your reply never showed up in my "thread replies", so my apologies for the delayed response.

20 years ago.

Little has changed. The A/V industry prefers to focus on the bells and whistles they think will sell their software rather than create a simple anti-virus/malware program that does its job without causing more issues than it resolves, as well as hogging resources. It IS my opinion admittedly, but that opinion is based on many years of experience in the field as a technician and a beta-tester.

That depends on what you define as the "corporate line"

The corporate line is cookie-cutter answers and procedures regarding security.

In actuality most corporations are going above and beyond. Re: Specter/Meltdown.

I wouldn't say above and beyond. I would call it their job and responsibility, and I'm glad they did what they should be doing anyway, but that doesn't excuse the lack of solid offerings from the industry at the business level as well as the end-user.

See above related to Specter/Meltdown.

I've read you posts. I know you have some savvy, but if you have been in the industry even half as long as I have, you know there are outstanding issues in the security end of the computer industry that should have been addressed a long time ago, but politics and money have dictated more than common sense has.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join