It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Messiah tv show

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:03 PM
link   
Hello,
there is this new netflix show, called Messiah, which portrays the apparent arrival of the messiah, who is supposed to be JC coming back to our planet. There is an Islamic prophecy that says that a false prophet would come to Earth and portray himself as the messiah but he will only deceive and try to lure people into the hands of satan. The writers of the show clearly play with that prophecy.

I think it is a great show, and I haven't been hooked to a show like this since the first season of The OA. I watched it all in one go. The actors are great, especially the actor playing the messiah. The story starts in Syria, then goes to Israel, and then to Texas. It lets you guess as to the reality of the situation ; how would you react if something like that happened ? How would the global human society react ? Is the guy for real ? Is he an illusionist, a liar ? How would the world powers react ?

This show is some kind of thought experiment, or a philosophical fable. The characters aren't developed too much which is good because the show really wants to portray how humans in general would react to a situation like this. The characters are more there to represent the different archetypes among the human species : there is the fearful one, the curious one, the rational one, the blind follower, the doubter, etc.. And all this is mixed with political and geopolitical intrigues, philosophical and religious questioning.

In the end, does it really matter if he really is the messiah or not ?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:14 PM
link   
a reply to: gosseyn

We watched it in two sittings. Intriguing to say the least.

Not convinced the main character is the Messiah though. Guess we'll have to see what season 2 shows us- if they decide to do another season.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:19 PM
link   
interestingly the Bible addresses this

warns of false messiahs to come;

At that time if anyone says to you, ‘Look, here is the Messiah!’ or, ‘There he is!’ do not believe it. For false messiahs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and wonders to deceive, if possible, even the elect. See, I have told you ahead of time.

“So if anyone tells you, ‘There he is, out in the wilderness,’ do not go out; or, ‘Here he is, in the inner rooms,’ do not believe it. For as lightning that comes from the east is visible even in the west, so will be the coming of the Son of Man."

Matt 24:23-27

I'm kind of surprised we don't see more of that sort of thing, in real life as well as Hollywood

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: GeauxHomeYoureDrunk

We watched it in two sittings. Intriguing to say the least.

Not convinced the main character is the Messiah though. Guess we'll have to see what season 2 shows us- if they decide to do another season.

If he is not, and if he is not even some kind of antichrist, the writers are in trouble because they will have a lot of explaining to do. How did perform these "miracles" in front of everyone, how did he organize all that? Even with a world power like Russia or China behind him, it is not an easy feat, like for example what happens in Washington.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:25 PM
link   
As long as the Messiah doesn't butt heads with the Clintons, he won't be committing suicide.

I watched about three of those shows so far, about one every day or two since they came up. It is ok, he hasn't walked on water yet or anything.
In fact, I don't think he has healed anything, he did shoot a dog that was suffering though.

I don't know how you think the Messiah actor is a good actor, he hardly says anything. He talks in parables like Jesus does in the bible.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:39 PM
link   

WARNING: SPOILERS!!!

The Washington thing I've seen done by many magicians (clue: per brother their uncle trained them and was a master magician), the shooting at Dome of the rock could have been set up (clue: no muzzle flare on ANY of the video angles), even the final episode- why those 2 guys and not the whole crew on the plane (clue: boy said he touched their chests. To an uneducated dessert dweller CPR would look magic)? Also remember the little girl dies (clue: he sure didn't heal her)?

I haven't seen anything on there yet that can't be explained.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 01:40 AM
link   
a reply to: ElGoobero

It's true that there is supposed to be false messiahs in the end times but there is supposed to be a true one as well. Per Zechariah and Malachi there was actually supposed to be 4 messiahs. The Lord, the two branches, and Elijah the prophet. And the bible documents only 3 of them. The guy that built the second temple after the return of the Jews from Persia. Jesus Christ. And John the Baptist as Elijah. That still leaves one branch to go. And the prophesies of the Antichrist imply that there is supposed to be a rebuilt temple. So it would appear there is still a branch that needs to make an appearance and build a temple.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:58 AM
link   

Just started watching this as a friend recommended it. Very interesting!

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Intriguing, worth watching. I'll be waiting for season 2... I'll bet Eva will be pregnant (again) next season.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 02:28 PM
link   

The Washington thing I've seen done by many magicians (clue: per brother their uncle trained them and was a master magician), the shooting at Dome of the rock could have been set up (clue: no muzzle flare on ANY of the video angles), even the final episode- why those 2 guys and not the whole crew on the plane (clue: boy said he touched their chests. To an uneducated dessert dweller CPR would look magic)? Also remember the little girl dies (clue: he sure didn't heal her)?

Imagine how disappointing it would be if all this was just tricks and hidden technology. I really hope the writers have another idea than just that. Also, people seem to think that Jibril is the real messiah and Payam Golshiri is the deceiver, or the antichrist, or just an activist who wants Earth to enter an era of peace.
edit on 8-1-2020 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Just started watching it tonight and am hooked after 3 episodes. Daren't read the rest of the thread in case of spoilers but would recommend based on the little I've watched. If I didn't have work tomorrow I would have probably binged it.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 05:12 PM
link   

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

So how do you explain that he traveled half the word so quickly and arrived right at the moment when there is a tornado that destroys a whole town and he seems to have protected the church, or what about the flood that seems to happen right on time to convince the president ?

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 07:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

So how do you explain that he traveled half the word so quickly and arrived right at the moment when there is a tornado that destroys a whole town and he seems to have protected the church, or what about the flood that seems to happen right on time to convince the president ?

They already ascertained that he flew on a plane which landed in Mexico and traveled to the border from there (Dilley, TX is not far from the border), and anybody can predict floods- they happen all the time. I can say "There will be a great flood" and I would be absolutely correct, the timing was just fortunate.

Chillax man, it's only a television show.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 07:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: gosseyn

SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS
SPOILERS

They already ascertained that he flew on a plane which landed in Mexico and traveled to the border from there (Dilley, TX is not far from the border), and anybody can predict floods- they happen all the time. I can say "There will be a great flood" and I would be absolutely correct, the timing was just fortunate.

Chillax man, it's only a television show.

Why do you assume I am not chill ? I am totally chill. Chillax man, it's just a conversation.

And what about the sandstorm in the beginning of the 1st episode ?

You have to realise that all these clues that you talked about have been planted there by the writers to make you doubt.
- the fact that no camera recorded any gun fire in front of the mosque
- the fact that the kid in the end of the last episode is described by his friends as a liar who likes to make up stories
- the convenient plane that flew from Jordan and seemingly landed somewhere close to Dilley
- the walking on water ; at the beginning of the next episode we see some random debunker youtube video about a guy who walks on water
- etc..

All this is painfully obvious, and I would be very surprised if in the next season(s), they just tell us that it was just tricks and logistics; like "hey, we told you, it's just tricks".

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 07:50 PM
link   

Hello,
there is this new netflix show, called Messiah, which portrays the apparent arrival of the messiah, who is supposed to be JC coming back to our planet. There is an Islamic prophecy that says that a false prophet would come to Earth and portray himself as the messiah but he will only deceive and try to lure people into the hands of satan. The writers of the show clearly play with that prophecy.

~ SPOILERS BELOW ~

This Netflix's show has some big issues with the main character of messiah:

1. Disconnected character and separated from people. He would stay alone in his tent/room, "praying", "meditating" and "communicating" with God for prolonged times, making other people waiting outside for him, even though they traveled a long way to see him. I couldn't stand that.
Spoke very little and spoke in figures of speech, not like a simple man among common people, he didn't even say his own name.
You get the feeling like he is full of himself, almost to the point that people are ready to say "Is this really the messiah we're waiting for ?!"

2. Abandonment of his own people - he left the people he was leading from the desert to the Syrian-Israeli border and jumped in Texas and didn't return to those suffering people he was helping in the beginning in Syria.

3. Selective healing - he saved an injured kid, but the little girl with cancer died.

4. "Messiahs" should try to save suffering animals, using their magical powers, especially when the crying kid was right there.

5. My other pet peeve was his long hair, trying to make him fit with the people's perception of the christ-like savior. It was too christy for me.

There could be more, but this is what I remember now. What I liked about the show:

- It had a broad spectrum - it took place in few countries and cultures.
- The playing was generally good, I liked Eva the CIA agent, Aviram the israeli agent, Felix the pastor.
- Balanced and realistic portrayal of the Islamic culture and life.
- Showed the good human side of the people of all cultures, muslim, israeli and western.

In my opinion, the authors while trying to make this character more interesting they distorted him, bringing their own misconceptions into it and this Netflix's "messiah" needs its own character saving. But I have to give it, the show was intriguing and I saw all of it. The way it is now, I don't expect much change from the points I made above in any other season, if there is another one.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: miri2019

Hello,

~ SPOILERS BELOW ~

This Netflix's show has some big issues with the main character of messiah:

1. Disconnected character and separated from people. He would stay alone in his tent/room, "praying", "meditating" and "communicating" with God for prolonged times, making other people waiting outside for him, even though they traveled a long way to see him. I couldn't stand that.
Spoke very little and spoke in figures of speech, not like a simple man among common people, he didn't even say his own name.
You get the feeling like he is full of himself, almost to the point that people are ready to say "Is this really the messiah we're waiting for ?!"

2. Abandonment of his own people - he left the people he was leading from the desert to the Syrian-Israeli border and jumped in Texas and didn't return to those suffering people he was helping in the beginning in Syria.

3. Selective healing - he saved an injured kid, but the little girl with cancer died.

4. "Messiahs" should try to save suffering animals, using their magical powers, especially when the crying kid was right there.

5. My other pet peeve was his long hair, trying to make him fit with the people's perception of the christ-like savior. It was too christy for me.

There could be more, but this is what I remember now. What I liked about the show:

- It had a broad spectrum - it took place in few countries and cultures.
- The playing was generally good, I liked Eva the CIA agent, Aviram the israeli agent, Felix the pastor.
- Balanced and realistic portrayal of the Islamic culture and life.
- Showed the good human side of the people of all cultures, muslim, israeli and western.

In my opinion, the authors while trying to make this character more interesting they distorted him, bringing their own misconceptions into it and this Netflix's "messiah" needs its own character saving. But I have to give it, the show was intriguing and I saw all of it. The way it is now, I don't expect much change from the points I made above in any other season, if there is another one.

I agree to some extent, but the fact that he is so ambiguous is clearly by design. Everyone expects him to heal the dog : he hears some calling, he gets up and walks, everyone follows him, we see the dog suffering, we think the father of the kid is going to shoot the dog, but then the messiah arrives and... he shoots the dog, and I am sure everyone expected him to heal the dog. The same with the little girl who has cancer, when she gets home, she is lively and goes to play with the dog, her mother says something like "look, she seems better", but her father says that it's the normal reaction when out of chemo. And then she dies in her sleep. Everything is set up to make you doubt. That is why it is interesting, and from this point, the writers can really go in any direction they want. They can make him the true messiah, and the teaching would be that death is just the beginning, or they could make him the antichrist who just wants to fool people, or a con artist etc..

Also, there are other theories that I haven't seen yet here or on reddit or elsewhere, it's the fact that he could be an extraterrestrial being, or extradimensional being, or even a man from the future. Because so far, everything that we have seen could have absolutely nothing to do with world religions, and prophecies, etc..
edit on 8-1-2020 by gosseyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:20 PM
link   

[...]

Everything is set up to make you doubt. That is why it is interesting, and from this point, the writers can really go in any direction they want. They can make him the true messiah, and the teaching would be that death is just the beginning, or they could make him the antichrist who just wants to fool people, or a con artist etc..

True, but the title of show is "Messiah", so they kinda have decided which direction to take it, by its name only. Sure this show has open-ended lines that would justify another season and in my opinion it would make sense if the authors save the "savior" in the next season (if any) by taking into account the big issues in my above post.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

[...]

Everything is set up to make you doubt. That is why it is interesting, and from this point, the writers can really go in any direction they want. They can make him the true messiah, and the teaching would be that death is just the beginning, or they could make him the antichrist who just wants to fool people, or a con artist etc..

True, but the title of show is "Messiah", so they kinda have decided which direction to take it, by its name only. Sure this show has open-ended lines that would justify another season and in my opinion it would make sense if the authors save the "savior" in the next season (if any) by taking into account the big issues in my above post.

Yes but the title messiah just means that there is someone in the show that is considered to be the messiah by other people. And the messiah himself in the show often asks people around him "what am I for you?". Like the scene with the pastor when he says "Then if you think I am god, why don't you kneel?", or in another scene when he says something like "I am anything you want me to be". This makes me think that the writers clearly wanted to talk to us about the notions of perception and belief. People often perceive what they want to perceive, and believe what they want to believe, and this is an interesting subject in itself. People who want or even need to believe into something will unconsciously or even consciously ignore some of the things that their senses have perceived. I think the writers also wanted us to reflect on the historical Jesus and the supposed miracles 2000 years ago, and how people around him at that time reacted, what they thought etc..

Also, some people think that Jibril(Gabriel, like the angel) is actually the true messiah. If true, this is going to be even more interesting.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 10:13 PM
link   

I see your point, but then the authors could have chosen a different title, less bombastic, say "The man from the East" or some such, without implying anything, otherwise as it stands it looks just a splashy title. Also a savior cannot say "I am anything you want me to be", because that means he could be called evil too, which I don't think he wants. He should simply say "I'm the messenger of God! My name is so and so" . Period. And letting people decide the veracity of his words thru his works.

Then start work without more ado. Meeting people non-stop, help in the cleanup of the town in Texas and not staying the whole time in a tent, taking care of the people he left behind in Syria, opening his hotel room 24/7 for people that came to see him and more.

He was too much of stereotyped savior.

These are the lowest points of the show in my opinion, still it was interesting to watch. But I doubt I'm gonna spend hours for another season if the authors intention is simply to keep us hooked.

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 09:05 AM
link   

I see your point, but then the authors could have chosen a different title, less bombastic, say "The man from the East" or some such, without implying anything, otherwise as it stands it looks just a splashy title. Also a savior cannot say "I am anything you want me to be", because that means he could be called evil too, which I don't think he wants. He should simply say "I'm the messenger of God! My name is so and so" . Period. And letting people decide the veracity of his words thru his works.

Then start work without more ado. Meeting people non-stop, help in the cleanup of the town in Texas and not staying the whole time in a tent, taking care of the people he left behind in Syria, opening his hotel room 24/7 for people that came to see him and more.

He was too much of stereotyped savior.

These are the lowest points of the show in my opinion, still it was interesting to watch. But I doubt I'm gonna spend hours for another season if the authors intention is simply to keep us hooked.

I totally see what you mean, but I think it is a question of expectations. We expect too much or we expect the wrong things. What do you think the real Jesus would say if he could come back right now, if we told him that a whole religion has been based on him. I am not a believer in any religion, i am an agnostic, and maybe that's why I am ready to accept any reality. What I mean is, maybe we have been wrong about the historical Jesus all this time. Maybe he is not who we think he is, who we want him to be. We have too many preconceived ideas. On that subject I created this thread some years ago www.abovetopsecret.com...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join