It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO’s friend foe or fantasy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConspiracyMysteries
I would love to know more about this have a scource?

In 1962 Sagan wrote that it was very likely that the Earth had already been visited by ET. He was against the idea of finding ET using the SETI system. The powers that be wanted him as one of their own and not as a *fringe* author, so they brought him within their fold.

He was not the first to mention that ET had already been to Earth, as a couple other writers had beaten him to it in the 50's. But when "Chariots of the Gods" came out in 1968 and became meaga popular he was ticked that someone else had gotten famous for his idea. He towed the government party line and had to argue against the very idea he championed in 1962.

Some people say he was going to return to the idea as being valid. But then he died. Some say they shut him up.

As far as his writings go, see my post above for the PDF. Or you could read this book below which contains the same within it.

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_53?crid=2GKVIE8222D6Q&keywords=carl+sagan+books&qid=1578953 133&s=books&sprefix=carl+sagan%2Ctoys-and-games%2C205&sr=1-53

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 07:36 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

The "got proof " was for your conjecture NASA "bought him off"
Still nothing on that,

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:06 PM
link   
How about all of the above?

When I contemate life abroad, I take a look around me. Nature, Society, the answers are all there.

I believe that really simple single celled life is everywhere and abundant, however, complex life is scarce, few and far in between.

The complex life that does exist and thrive is no different than you or me, with their own issues, likes and wants.

Depending on our tech levels, humanity can be exploited, much like the Native tribes of old.

I guess it depends on who discovers us first.

We could be discovered by a group of vandals, smart enough to fool us into thinking they are all mighty.

We could be discovered by a group of alien missionaries whos goal is to enlighten about the Universe.

We could be discovered by Reptilians in need of fresh bio matter to thrive.

Who knows, right?

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Arnie123
How about all of the above?

Even if it's not "aliens," it's unlikely that everyone who has ever seen or reported a UFO is either lying or mistaken or delusional. The sheer volume of reports by competent witnesses suggests something real is happening, but not exactly what that something is.

Friend or foe? As long as they don't instantly kill us, it'll probably be a little of both. Our entire society would be turned inside out, but that's not necessarily a bad thing. In any major social upheaval some people have a hard time but others thrive. Since this is a Monkey's Paw existence, a very likely scenario is that we'll all get a chance to be practically immortal and sail through the stars to witness unimaginable wonders, except we'll be flying to the planet of the agonizing brain eaters to be tortured forever.

D'oh!

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
a reply to: spiritualarchitect

I can not remember what Sagan supposedly plagiarized, but this was evidently held over his head until the end when the discussion was focused on ET. The fact that he was associated with Menzel and Hartmann, at all, would make any pronouncements on the matter suspect. Again this is conjecture, but knowing what I do and with the hindsight of history, I think he was persuaded to shy away from the topic in the public discourse.

Per Wikipedia:

In 1966, Sagan was a member of the Ad Hoc Committee to Review Project Blue Book. The committee concluded that the U.S. Air Force's Project Blue Book had been lacking as a scientific study, and recommended a university-based project to give the UFO phenomenon closer scientific scrutiny. The Condon Committee (1966-1968), led by physicist Edward Condon, and their still-controversial final report, formally concluded that there was nothing anomalous about UFO reports.

Ron Westrum writes that "The high point of Sagan's treatment of the UFO question was the AAAS's symposium in 1969. A wide range of educated opinions on the subject were offered by participants, including not only proponents as James McDonald and J. Allen Hynek but also skeptics like astronomers William Hartmann and Donald Menzel. The roster of speakers was balanced, and it is to Sagan's credit that this event was presented in spite of pressure from Edward Condon" (Westrum 37-38). With physicist Thornton Page, Sagan edited the lectures and discussions given at the symposium; these were published in 1972 as UFO's: A Scientific Debate.

Jerome Clark writes that Sagan's perspective on UFO's irked Condon: "... though a skeptic, [Sagan] was too soft on UFOs for Condon's taste. In 1971, he considered blackballing Sagan from the prestigious Cosmos Club" (Clark 603).

Some of Sagan's many books examine UFOs (as did one episode of Cosmos) and he recognized a religious undercurrent to the phenomenon. However, Westrum writes that "Sagan spent very little time researching UFOs ... he thought that little evidence existed to show that the UFO phenomenon represented alien spacecraft and that the motivation for interpreting UFO observations as spacecraft was emotional" (Westrum 37).

It is sometimes noted that Sagan's generally skeptical attitude to UFOs conflicted sharply with his views in a 1966 book he wrote with Russian astronomer and astrophysicist I.S. Shklovskii, Intelligent Life in the Universe. Here Sagan instead argued that technologically advanced alien civilizations were common and he considered it very probable that Earth had been visited many times in the past. Yet only a few years later in UFO's: A Scientific Debate, Sagan was now highly skeptical of interstellar visitation. As to the physical possibility of interstellar travel, Sagan brought up the proposed Bussard ramjet as an interstellar vehicle. While not terribly practical, Sagan thought such proposed propulsion systems were nevertheless important because they demonstrated that there were conceivable ways of accomplishing interstellar travel "without bumping into fundamental physical constraints. And this suggests that it is premature to say that interstellar space flight is out of the question." But to this Sagan added, "I believe the numbers work out in such a way that UFO's as interstellar vehicles is extremely unlikely, but I think it is an equally bad mistake to say that interstellar space flight is impossible."

Sagan again revealed his views on interstellar travel in his 1980 Cosmos series. He rejected the idea that UFOs are visiting Earth, maintaining that the chances any alien spacecraft would visit the Earth are vanishingly small. However, in another episode he said the stars would "beckon" to humanity, and described the Bussard ramjet as one way humans might achieve interstellar travel. In one of his last written works, Sagan again claimed that there was no evidence that aliens have actually visited the Earth, either in the past or present (Sagan, 1996: 81-96, 99-104).

For what it's worth, Contact was a great movie and until the SERPO movie comes out, a classic ET flick.
edit on 13-1-2020 by play4keeps because: punctuation

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 11:05 PM
link   
You forgot a category : Friend, Foe, Fantasy or FOOD.

They say alien life might think more like an octopus.. or octos may BE aliens. Octopus is delicious.

“Extinction is the rule. Survival is the exception.”

My resource material :

Recently, a group of 33 scientists worldwide—including molecular immunologist Edward Steele and astrobiologist Chandra Wickramasinghe—published a paper suggesting, in all seriousness, that octopuses may indeed be aliens.

qz.com...

and

www.newyorker.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 04:37 AM
link   
a reply to: play4keeps

Be interesting to know if these people were willing being part of disinformation campaign or if they being blackmailed etc..

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 10:03 AM
link   

For what it's worth, Contact was a great movie and until the SERPO movie comes out, a classic ET flick.

?? the take-away was that her 'contact' was nothing more than a period-of-Static ! !

a metaphor for the whole UFOs-are-real phenomenon.... just a " bunch of Noise "

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 11:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: play4keeps
It is sometimes noted that Sagan's generally skeptical attitude to UFOs conflicted sharply with his views in a 1966 book he wrote with Russian astronomer and astrophysicist I.S. Shklovskii, Intelligent Life in the Universe. Here Sagan instead argued that technologically advanced alien civilizations were common and he considered it very probable that Earth had been visited many times in the past. Yet only a few years later in UFO's: A Scientific Debate, Sagan was now highly skeptical of interstellar visitation.

Yes, you cannot be buddies in the space club and still say that UFO’s are alien. That is a NASA No No. And you cannot say that Aliens could have been here many times in the past and still say that they cannot be here now.

I know that some UFO's are alien so Sagan surely knew that too. Not because, like me, he saw one fly by, but because he was in the know with people who were in the know. To be in the good boys club you have to tow the line and say the right things. Not the truth, but what the mil-gov wants the public to know.

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 11:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: St Udio

?? the take-away was that her 'contact' was nothing more than a period-of-Static ! !

a metaphor for the whole UFOs-are-real phenomenon.... just a " bunch of Noise "
I don't know why people think that, the ending of Contact, with which it's discovered that several hours were filmed in a matter of a few seconds, leaves the audience to think of things much larger than themselves.

The movie isn't necessarily about contact with Aliens, rather, how contact would most likely happen with radio signals via SETI, in a perfect world, and the political, religious and goverment fallout as a result, the drama that plagued Dr. Arroway throughout the whole movie.

If anything, it gave a predicted glimpse at what may happen should contact occur through dishes.

Ah, I miss the 90s where radio signals and tornadoes made movies.
edit on 14-1-2020 by Arnie123 because: Hmmm

posted on Jan, 14 2020 @ 12:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Arnie123

Oh... I agree the movie was enthralling & captured Ones' mind

but the Take-Away for a thoughtful, rational mind was that the 'pulse' of Static which also corresponded to her Journey to the Alien Reality (a pseudo After-Life Father contact) in the similar time-frame.... that was the woo-woo portion that sorta linked the Alien lifeform to a 'after-life'-in-heaven visitation

sure, for a time, I was threading through my brain's neural-networks of ideas to try & link her 'cosmic/spiritual/Contact' with our Genomes' Junk- DNA cache' which is also symbolized in the pulse of Static

but I still come to the conclusion that Sagan was telling us....thumbs down on Alien UFOs...it's all just noise

ETA; www.youtube.com...
13 minutes of the movie explained

video--- at the 10:40 mark, it is discovered the static has a 18 hour gap in it....but the recording device only recorded the several seconds of the drop into the Mchine
edit on th31157902749814442020 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2020 @ 04:54 AM
link   
a reply to: ConspiracyMysteries

Saddley it seems youtube has flaged the video as infringing copyright and taken down the video.

edit on 15-1-2020 by ConspiracyMysteries because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join