It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO’s friend foe or fantasy

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 02:38 PM
link   
Interesting video,

Presented by Walter Kronkite, this classic overly skeptical but still important to research one-hour documentary includes an interview with a 32-year old gum-chewing Carl Sagan. Although his presentation skills aren't quite refined at this point , the early seeds of his scientific skepticism are quite evident!

www.youtube.com...

I love these old documentaries you can really see now in hindsight just how much they tired back in the 50’s and 60’s to appease people’s fears.
This along side the time of bluebook around misinformation campaign ? Or simply trying to lower fear during height of Cold War?

Thoughts now we have the power or hind sight? Love to know peoples view
edit on 7-1-2020 by ConspiracyMysteries because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 04:01 PM
link   
“Direct Contact Among Galactic Civilizations by Relativistic Interstellar Space Flight”

In 1962 Carl Sagan was all for ancient astronauts. NASA wanted him in their group but they did not want him letting out their secrets. So they bought him out and he became a denier.
edit on 7-1-2020 by spiritualarchitect because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: spiritualarchitect
“Direct Contact Among Galactic Civilizations by Relativistic Interstellar Space Flight”

In 1962 Carl Sagan was all for ancient astronauts. NASA wanted him in their group but they did not want him letting out their secrets. So they bought him out and he became a denier.

"Got Proof" ?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 06:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: ConspiracyMysteries
Interesting video,

Presented by Walter Kronkite, this classic overly skeptical but still important to research one-hour documentary includes an interview with a 32-year old gum-chewing Carl Sagan. Although his presentation skills aren't quite refined at this point , the early seeds of his scientific skepticism are quite evident!

www.youtube.com...

I love these old documentaries you can really see now in hindsight just how much they tired back in the 50’s and 60’s to appease people’s fears.
This along side the time of bluebook around misinformation campaign ? Or simply trying to lower fear during height of Cold War?

Thoughts now we have the power or hind sight? Love to know peoples view

fantasy!

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 07:30 PM
link   

I would love to know more about this have a scource?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:28 PM
link   

I would love to know more about this have a scource?

Sagan didn't become a "denier" per se. He accepted the inevitability of other life in the universe; he just stated that there isn't any tangible evidence to prove they have visited us.

Nobody would be happier than me if we WERE being visited.

Sagan's 1985 novel (and 1997 movie) 'Contact' remains one of the most believable theories of how an alien race would eventually make contact with us.

edit on 7-1-2020 by ConfusedBrit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   
a reply to: ConfusedBrit

Yeah. Building a weird machine under the instruction of extraterrestrials seems like a real good idea.

As much as I like Jodie Foster, that movie sucked. And Sagan should have stuck with non-fiction.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 04:10 AM
link   

The novel is indeed good didn’t care for the movie though.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 06:47 AM
link   
a reply to: ConspiracyMysteries

'UFOs: Friend, Foe or Fantasy?' - classic piece of CIA precision propaganda.

Michael Swords did some good work uncovering documentation on this..

Terry Hansen - see 45:30

Robbie Graham:

mysteriousuniverse.org...

Sagan also made some interesting comments early on (link) before being wooed by Menzel (link) who was also in cahoots with Condon, Low and the NSA (link ).

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: karl 12

Thanks this what I love about ATS is learning newstuff such as this. Great info.

Didn’t know about the nsa link either. Deep rabbit hole indeed

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 02:48 AM
link   
a reply to: ConspiracyMysteries

I wonder if Elon Musk knows? youtu.be...

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Yeah. Building a weird machine under the instruction of extraterrestrials seems like a real good idea.

As much as I like Jodie Foster, that movie sucked. And Sagan should have stuck with non-fiction.

Yep, I agree, movie sucked so hard that even Foster couldn't distract from the loud slurping that filled the theater.
I confess that I actually paid to watch that bloated, self-indulgent piece of - art - in the theater. I tried to squelch my brain a bit, shut off the questions and such. Ignored the rediculously forced ham-fisted sermon about faith - in god, aliens, each other - which was so hard to do when the message often came as a literal sermon chewed up and spewed by what was apparently the well-preserved corpse of Matthew McConaughey. I mean, he SEEMED dead at least. Didn't read the book, did Sagan include a religious zombie?
But my breaking point came with the big reveal of the COVERTLY built second economy-raping machine just waiting completely un-noticed in Japan for it's scripted moment to shine. Or spin. Twirl? - and hurl Jodi Foster to her destined meeting with extraterrestrials. Which, I've long since learned, actually turned out to be directly related to Foster's character, on her father's side, at least.
Or something like that. Dunno cause I still haven't watched it.
edit on 9-1-2020 by ChayOphan because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-1-2020 by ChayOphan because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 9 2020 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Thanks this what I love about ATS is learning newstuff such as this. Great info.

Yes quite a deep one mate.

Robertson panel conclusions:

The debunking aim would result in reduction of public interest in 'flying saucers' which today evokes a strong psychological reaction. This education could be accomplished by mass media such as television, motion pictures and popular articles"

"It was felt strongly that psychologists familiar with mass psychology should advise on the nature and extent of the program."

Archive - Vol. 2, No. 5 (pdf)

Turns out it could also be the case that the conclusions of the much touted 'scientific and impartial' Robertson panel were already arrived at one year before by their 'sponsors', the CIA. 

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 12:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: karl 12

Yes quite a deep one mate.

Robertson panel conclusions:

The debunking aim would result in reduction of public interest in 'flying saucers' which today evokes a strong psychological reaction. This education could be accomplished by mass media such as television, motion pictures and popular articles"

"It was felt strongly that psychologists familiar with mass psychology should advise on the nature and extent of the program."

Archive - Vol. 2, No. 5 (pdf)

Turns out it could also be the case that the conclusions of the much touted 'scientific and impartial' Robertson panel were already arrived at one year before by their 'sponsors', the CIA. 

Thanks for the excellent video I had not seen that before raises some interesting

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 01:32 PM
link   
I look at Off Planet Beings - - the same way I look at anthropologists.

My personal belief is - - there are beings from elsewhere. That some are far more advanced than earthlings, and that there is a type of Federation of Planets - - politics is every where.

Back to anthropology.

Some anthropologists believe in only observing without disturbing.
Some anthropologists believe in limited contact without disturbing normal culture.
Some anthropologists believe in infiltrating a culture to learn more.
Some anthropologists are only interested in specimens and don't care what they disturb.
Some anthropologists gather samples for medical testing. Some return them, some don't.
Some anthropologists care only what benefits them.

Well, you get the picture.

If there is Off Planet Beings - - the idea there is only one species - - that follows some "law of the universe" - - is kind of ridiculous to me.

Friend? Foe? Benevolent? We're just 'ants' to be studied?

All of the above.

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 03:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

All of the above.

But the outcome is for us poor ants? When bored alien comes to knock over ant hill?

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 03:47 PM
link   

All of the above.

But the outcome is for us poor ants? When bored alien comes to knock over ant hill?

Or demand a statue monument be built

edit on 11-1-2020 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2020 @ 04:30 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

I'd do it if I could. I guess that's one way around the lightspeed limit. Just broadcast the information and let the aliens (us) build the berserker for them.

Curiosity killed the cat; satisfaction brought it back.

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 10:31 AM
link   

All of the above.

Or demand a statue monument be built

All hail our alien over lords

posted on Jan, 13 2020 @ 04:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog

"Got Proof" ?

i just gave it to you.

www.google.com... ellar+spaceflight+pdf&oq=direct+contact+among+galactic+civilizations+by+relativistic+interstellar+spaceflight+pdf&gs_l=psy-ab.1.0.0i30.0.0..25189...0. 0..0.67.122.2......0......gws-wiz.BDAZyAUGz34

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join