It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TIME MAGAZINE: How to Talk to Your Kids About the Situation With Iran

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:36 PM
link   
a reply to: silo13

I'm not really sure why I'm going to be talking about it with my son. He's 9, and unless he brings it up, I won't bother at this point in time.

As far as I'm concerned, he doesn't need to worry about these things before he needs to worry about them. We're not hiding it from him. The news is on in the background right now and he's brushing his teeth and running back and forth through the main room getting ready for bed. If he has the presence of mind to wonder about it, we'll address it. Otherwise, what happens on that side of the world stays there for now.

He's more interested in the next chapter of Goblet of Fire and what will happen with Winky the house elf and the Dark Mark sighted over the woods shortly after the International Quidditch Championships.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: silo13
Here's what I want to see in a TIME:

'Mommy, why doesn't the government want us to have guns, but it's ok for Iran to have nukes?'

(A hush falls over the TIME crowd)...

I'd like 'em to get into it with my kid. His answer to life's every problem lately has been very simple and direct - "Nuke it!"

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:46 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

i just told little johnny,

well orange man is going to, nuke their azz, and take the gas.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:50 PM
link   
a reply to: hounddoghowlie

Mine's pretty juvenile at 9. I tell him that ORANGE MAN is going to take the gas, and he'll go off on a tangent about farts.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Good sense if humor on that kid

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Youre a good parent and sounds like you have a cool kid. I now see my mistakes with mine and hope others will learn from my mistakes : letting them see the ugliness in the world and not shielding them from it. Even for a little while letting them be a kid believing the world is a beautiful place and seeing the beauty in it before letting them realize the darkness. Remove them from places that throw this in their face so young. Mistaking kids with high IQs as being undeserving of being shielded from the world for a bit.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 10:09 PM
link   
Our kids are smarter than the TV news producers! Tonight's Chicago news runs a segment showing Iran hitting Iraq, and President Trump announcing ZERO American deaths, followed by a segment of local Dem Senator Dick Durban, describing how Iran will kill thousands when they retaliate.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 10:10 PM
link   
Still remember when I was talking to my dad about Desert Storm, his response was glass them and make an amusement park. Made me chuckle.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 11:11 PM
link   

Time thinks kids are delicate snowflakes when they are more like South Park.

Pooor babies.
edit on 7-1-2020 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   
a reply to: Advantage

Ours isn't dumb by any stretch. Testing shows he's in that gray area between high average and what the school district recognizes as gifted, so he's smart enough he ought to be able to do just about any job he wants with enough effort in the future.

So when he brings up a topic to us, we don't sugar coat. It's just that we're in no rush to hurry him along. If he's not bringing things up, we aren't going to dive in. At the same time, we don't take any real pains to hide anything either. We watch the news. We have our own discussions, etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
In my day probably: "You fell off your bicycle? You know there's little Shia boys in Iran your age who almost whip themselves to death? And they don't pull a face".

posted on Jan, 10 2020 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Oh ho! Someone at the times must feel clever for putting that one out.

I for one am just fine with outlets ousting their political bias. Let it hang out, we all get to know what you really are.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join