It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tankers as part of ABMS

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 06:46 PM
link   
The Air Force is studying adding tankers to the Advanced Battle Management System that's under development. The aircraft would be used as communications nodes. Tankers would make good nodes, because they have plenty of room in the fuselage for communications equipment, as well as extra power. They also will be orbiting near contested airspace for long periods of time.

The KC-46 already has communications systems that would allow its addition to ABMS with minimal upgrades. The Air Force has funding for the first 50 KC-135s to be upgraded with Realtime Information in the Cockpit, which will include Link-16. That would give them a baseline for upgrades for ABMS.

www.c4isrnet.com...

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 07:02 PM
link   
I wonder if this would make tankers more valuable targets during hostilities?

I'm guessing probably not, since they're already pretty valuable targets. a reply to: Zaphod58

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: 1947boomer

Yeah, they're already a high value target. You can't make them much more high value.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 09:16 PM
link   
No way, I thought our tankers had Link 16 already?

Depending on what they can receive and display, definitely a benefit to be aware of what tracks are hanging around the area

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: Masisoar

It's a bolt on kit as part of the ROBE capability.

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Does that mean C5ISR has tanking capabilities already?

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 11:12 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

I like it. We need to leverage our assets and look to expand capacity as we will never be able to get all of the air frames we need

new topics

top topics

join