It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does an EMP Bomb destroy batteries?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
OK im a huge 24 fan. A lot of folks on the 24 forums are saying an EMP would not destroy batteries. Im trying to find a right answer but to my knowledge it would. A battery is a chemical I know that but isnt the chemcial mixed causing an electric reaction within the battery? Regardless if its in use or not. This has me very confused. If somone could explain it better let me know!

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I am DEFINATELY no expert...but I read a guide to batteries for dumb people and as far as I can see, the reaction doesnt technically take place until it flows through the Positive terminal which is when it is connected. So from my Idiot's guide I don't think that the EMP bomb would effect batteries that weren't being used. Of course I'm no expert.

Link to one of my Idiot's Guides:
electronics.howstuffworks.com...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:15 AM
link   
Hey no need for name calling. Clearly if im asking a question its cause I don't know about the subject in question. In school science and math were my two most hated and ignored subjects so I was not aware how the chemical reaction worked. Maybe you can direct me to an educational site for math and science while im here?

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Well I can assure you, I'm not even close to being done with school so I still think that you may have gotten more from Math and Science than me...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:18 AM
link   
I dont think batteries would affected but Im pretty sure whatever they powered would.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Event Horizon]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Yes I agree, but I think also that if they were powering something they would be affected, but if they were sitting unused I don't think they would.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:21 AM
link   
[edit on 9/3/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:31 AM
link   
BTW, I got your sites:

www.mathforidiots.com
www.scienceforidiots.com

Enjoy

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Omniscient]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Omniscient
BTW, I got your sites:

www.mathforidiots.com
www.scienceforidiots.com

Enjoy

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Omniscient]

ROFL. Thanks Ill use it. I need something simple for math. Took a test and my math level is that of a 4th grader if even that. Its really a horrible subject for me. My science is almost to level just a handfull of things im not aware of. Its actually pretty embarrasing.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:28 AM
link   
www.trickedbyanidiotforidiots.com

linksdontworkforanidiot.com

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 05:00 AM
link   
No. EMP will not affect batteries. EMP affects sensitive electronics equipment, especially those with chip circuitry, because silicone scips are voltage-sensitive. EMP, such as that caused by a nuclear detonation, induces MUCH more than the 5 volts required to operate a chip!

But, you flashlight batteries in the drawer by the bed will be just fine.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:21 AM
link   
Thomas is right, normal batteries will be unaffected. One of the military strategies to combat EMP weapons was to rely extensively on batteries for primary and back up power.

If you had a battery as big as a house, you might have enough metal present to collect sufficient electrons from the EMP to 'overflow' the battery's storage capacity, or physically damage the battery (as in a lightning strike) due to interior or exterior electrical arcs.

Generally though, EMP isn't that big a worry for either armies or citizens (armies have been hardening against the effects since the mid seventies, and citizens don't rely on complex electronics to survive for the most part). Just make sure to unplug all electronic devices before initiating nuclear war.

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terapin
Making an EMP device is quite easy and I am suprised that Terrorists havent set one off in NYC or DC by now. A large enough EMP would cause significant damage. You dont need a nuclear blast to create an EMP.

No need to be giving them any ideas now
. I don't want my computer or car to get ruined...

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 06:05 PM
link   
simple way to solve car issue: use a really old car. Or at least keep one laying around, one without electronic ignition regulation.

and while your at it,keep several gallons of acid and a few kilo's of metal laying around, rig up a giant battery for later

posted on Mar, 13 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
good question but you need to stop watching 24

apc

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
As already stated No batteries cannot be affected.
Read my responses in this thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
It details the processes of the types of EMP.

Also when it comes to cars, some fuel injected may be affected, but many will not. Often the ECU (the computer or "brains" for the fuel injection system) is placed under the hood or elsewhere in the car where it has a lot of stuff covering or around it. Often the body of a car alone makes a sufficient faraday cage to protect the ECU. If an EMP could easily take out the ECU there would have been EMP devices used by police instead of stop-sticks to end chases a decade ago. However they quickly discovered it is fairly difficult to get a pulse through the metal body.

In my truck the ECU is under the passanger seat, and since glass isnt that great of protection, I intend on placing transorb diodes at every connecting point into the main boards.

Your modern cars that have an extra $10,000 worth of pointless electronics and a dead rat on the roof... they might have a few more problems when the time comes.

> and EMP alone cannot harm humans at all. We may be full of electrically conductive synapses and pathways, but we aren't magnetic so field pulses dont affect us, and we dont have much metal in us so uwave discharge doesnt do much either. There are weapons theories that use EMP against humans, but it is in conjuction with laser generated plasma that allows a focused EMP to directly stimulate pain receptors in the skin. the plasma is what makes it possible.

[edit on 14-3-2005 by apc]

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:34 PM
link   
When electronics are damaged, the chips will short out. So any battery connected to a device that was hit, will drain, probably overheat and may be damaged as well. Lithium batteries will explode when overheated and give of toxic fumes. Very nasty.

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndrewTB
OK im a huge 24 fan. A lot of folks on the 24 forums are saying an EMP would not destroy batteries. Im trying to find a right answer but to my knowledge it would. A battery is a chemical I know that but isnt the chemcial mixed causing an electric reaction within the battery? Regardless if its in use or not. This has me very confused. If somone could explain it better let me know!

Now I'm not sure about my answer but I don't think it fries batteries... I think it just toasts the circuit board the batterie would provide power for..

posted on Mar, 14 2005 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Correct me if I'm wrong, but couldn't you have a strong enough EMP to burn out smaller wires inside a pre-1974 or even diesel vehicle?

If you have a 12 volt system that is running, and a 1mt nuke was detonated high above (EMP-type strike) couldn't you conceivably have the EMP wave increase the voltage along the charging system such that smaller diameters of wire might get fried? I had lots of older classic chevrolets and they had fusible links and voltage regulators that would die at the slightest overload. As I understand EMP, it moves along the wires, increasing the voltage in the same way a blast-wave moves along the ground, increasing air-pressure. Are you sure this wouldn't fry alternators, fuses, etc? Also, couldn't that increase in voltage cause a battery to short itself? It might not be useless but would it be totally unscathed?

posted on Mar, 15 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
I also heard that EMP will not damage electronic equipment that's turned off. I would think it would still be possible to induce voltage and cause damage. Anyone know?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join