It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head of US forces in Iraq informs Iraq government that US forces are leaving

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:16 PM
link   

the head of US forces in Iraq has informed the government in Baghdad that the US-led coalition will indeed be leaving the country, contrary to public remarks by President Donald Trump

the Combined Joint Task Force Iraq will be “repositioning forces over the course of the coming days and weeks to prepare for onward movement,” Marine General William H. Seely III wrote
Source

This is interesting. Can this happen without Trump's approval? If so, I wonder how he will react, especially since he just told Iraq that we're not going anywhere unless they pay us billions of dollars.
Could this also mean the troops are being readied to go into Iran? The wording of "repositioning forces to prepare for onward movement" seems a bit ambiguous.
edit on 1/6/2020 by trollz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:19 PM
link   
a reply to: trollz

Sounds good to me.

Send our troops home.

*waves 'Murican flag*

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Duh, RussiaToday. Did you notice the letter wasn't signed?

Also, just noticed that today's date, January 6th is listed as just '6 JAN 2020', pretty sure the Marines use the same date nomenclature as everyone else in the United States military, '06 JAN 2020'.

Nice try Russian propagandists. Hoax bin this thing.

edit on 6-1-2020 by AugustusMasonicus because: 👁❤🍕

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:23 PM
link   
Me thinks everybody is taking this way to seriously, ain't nothing gonna happen but some blustering on both sides

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   

If and when they do decide to leave, hopefully they take all of their military hardware with them this time,

ISIS, and bad-dudes in general, had a field day with that last lot,

...According to Reuters, the U.S.-made weaponry that fell into enemy hands including 2,300 Humvee armored vehicles, at least 40 M1A1 main battle tanks, 74,000 machine guns, and as many as 52 M198 howitzer mobile gun systems, plus small arms and ammunition.

Source No.1

Source No.2

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Good, get out of Iraq and start supporting anti Iraqi government forces, and those groups protesting against Iran’s takeover of the Iraqi government

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Fake Russian Story from Propaganda Central Politburo 👁️‍🗨️ 😃 👁️‍🗨️ 🌪️

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:53 PM
link   
a reply to: AugustusMasonicus

To be fair, the guy they said verified it just posted on Twitter that it’s accurate so.....

Now, how he knows when he’s the PAO for 3rd SFG, I dunno. 3rd SFG covers Africa, not the ME afaik.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   
a reply to: Shamrock6

Do you find it odd that a Captain in the Army is verifying what a Brig. General in the Marines is saying in an unsigned letter with what looks like the wrong dating?

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Maybe they will go to Kuwait.

It is right there,and where we launched our Iraqi war from.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   

They're primarily AFRICOM, but have operated in the Middle East.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Now, this is the 'stop meddling in the affairs of other nations' part of the US foreign policy I like to see.

I'll say it again - 1. The US can't afford this sh!t. 2. Time to take care of domestic duties, as a priority.

I wonder how the democrats are going to spin this into Trump conducting another war crime? - that'll be twice in 2 weeks!!

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
Awesome! We were dragged into Iraq 19 years ago because Bush lied to us. We should never have had troops there in the first place. They should have been removed ~18.5 years ago.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:05 PM
link   
They just blasted this across CNN, so it is true.

Although the news is saying a "repositioning" not leaving as of yet.
edit on 6-1-2020 by Darkblade71 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Mark esper has elaborated that they are merely repositioning.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:11 PM
link   
hold on - whats this??

Praying Medic - twitter

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:13 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

Ah, and here comes the confusion of war.....

No one knows what we are doing...lol

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

People on Twitter brought up the same points I did about the signature and date. I think I'll take the word of the Sec Def over RT.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

Do you find it odd that a Captain in the Army is verifying what a Brig. General in the Marines is saying in an unsigned letter with what looks like the wrong dating?

It's right to be skeptical of the OP source but reuptable agencies have confirmed it's genuine with the US.

They aren't leaving Iraq though as the letter falsely claims , roughly 150 troops moving away from Baghdad Green Zone to Taji base with others shoring up forces in Kuwait for the anticipated war with Iran (according to the rest of five eyes and US allies).
edit on 6-1-2020 by bastion because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-1-2020 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
It's right to be skeptical of the OP source but reuptable agencies have confirmed it's genuine with the US.

Have they since the Sec Def said we're not leaving?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join