It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why is this board so alien now? (once again no pun intended)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Before I had posted a topic called "I remember when this site had mostly cool people." Making that topic was a mistake. I would first want to apologize for posting that. The way I worded it was all wrong. But I posted it because there was something different about this place. [I just couldn't put my finger on it though.]

Now to the subject.

There is something different within the people here (not the new look and feel of the forums) I sense. If anyone is thinking there has been something alien (No pun! This is serious.) about this place, please share. I want to see if I can find the/a problem with the forums these days. It just seems everyone is in each other's faces. ...and this before the "censorship problems."

WARNING: Try not to turn this into a flame war please. Otherwise I will ask for the moderators to cut out any posts that may or are causing a problem. I just want to get down to the problem if there is one.

Basically this is for the site's, moderators', and administrators' sake as well as the members of this forum's sake.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:19 AM
link   
...you know...your constant mentioning of that word 'alien' while discussing growing negativity is kinda sketching me the heck out...

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I enjoy discussion, and I want to broaden my horizons and knowledge about some of the subjects that are important to me.

The place is certainly different to when I first looked six months ago and when I first started posting.

The intelligence is increasing. At the same time, there are more members being attracted with different motives. That's cool.

The time taken to increase post numbers from 100,000 to 110,000 was extremely rapid.

I lose topics and threads off the bottom of a page and never see them again because things are posted so quickly.

But cool people and uncool people will come and go, and the Board will remain here whileever it is viable, and I will post and learn while I am interested, and change is inevitable.

There is probably not a lot of room for nostalgia, I imagine... true of a lot of things, a sad fact of 21st century life?

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I can see that. But the word just fits so nicely.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Consulting Maori: English Dictionary

Hmmmmm.... "sketching (one) the heck out".... hmmmmm

Nope.

Must be Guatemalan.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Not having been here as long as many here Cammo, I really can't put a finger on one thing, per se.'

I think I tend to kind of look at it as a divergence of people with various opinion, thoughts, ideas, and obviously, no insult intended to anyone, but intelligences. These differences then tend to 'clash'.

What needs to be realized by some folks here, is that we have to sometimes learn to bit our tongues and actually "allow" those of different opinion, beliefs, and ideas, etc., to express them. Or maybe just learn to "back off" sometimes........its really something that is apart of the internet age really. I dunno, to be honest.

I actually enjoy this type diversity sometimes as long as it remains constructive and not destructive to the essence of the topic or discussion. Sometimes you end up learning a few things...I do anyhoo.

All in all, great folks here! I enjoy the confrontation sometimes but the simple act of talking and expressing ideas and thoughts, etc. with people from "everywhere" is awesome, dispite the difference that we have or don't have.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
I enjoy discussion, and I want to broaden my horizons and knowledge about some of the subjects that are important to me.

The place is certainly different to when I first looked six months ago and when I first started posting.

The intelligence is increasing. At the same time, there are more members being attracted with different motives. That's cool.

The time taken to increase post numbers from 100,000 to 110,000 was extremely rapid.

I lose topics and threads off the bottom of a page and never see them again because things are posted so quickly.

But cool people and uncool people will come and go, and the Board will remain here whileever it is viable, and I will post and learn while I am interested, and change is inevitable.

There is probably not a lot of room for nostalgia, I imagine... true of a lot of things, a sad fact of 21st century life?

Thanks for your input.

BTW, try to forget about my last post. This is a topic I want to go over without any thoughts that were directed at me before (it was stupid what I posted).
Don't think I'm pointing at you MaskedAvatar, because I'm not. Just thought I should say it.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
...but to provide an answer:

Yes. I agree with you. I have also noticed a change...something just feels 'diiferent', almost (dare I say) menacing at times. Dunno what the heck it is...but there seems to be some dark undercurrent. That said...there has also been much light as well. Maybe thats because as membership increases, then so to do the chances of personality clashes. There will always be a certain percentage of positive and a certain percentage of negative within any group...and as the group expands/grows, then the numbers of each inevitably increase as well...so perhaps its just a case of it being more noticeable due to sheer numbers.

Some of the changes to the board have wierded me out at times...as was said some time ago, in another thread, sometimes too much change too fast can be unsettling and get people jittery and thus more likely to snark off at someone.

Everything is swings and roundabouts though...like any pendulum, it swings one way, then back the other way...and so on and so on until, eventually, it settles at an equilibrium.

Its just a matter of time.

Peace,
ALIEN

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:34 AM
link   
Basically it comes down to this. Things change and so do people. So what is the point???

Do you want to be the change police???

Really I don't get the point of this topic. Is there one???

Please I want to know what Cammo Dude is getting at.

Let me know.

Your Friend,
Abe

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MaskedAvatar
Consulting Maori: English Dictionary

Hmmmmm.... "sketching (one) the heck out".... hmmmmm

Nope.

Must be Guatemalan.

Heres one to check in that dictionary of yours:

"Blow it out ya bung-hole"

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien
...but to provide an answer:

Yes. I agree with you. I have also noticed a change...something just feels 'diiferent', almost (dare I say) menacing at times. Dunno what the heck it is...but there seems to be some dark undercurrent. That said...there has also been much light as well. Maybe thats because as membership increases, then so to do the chances of personality clashes. There will always be a certain percentage of positive and a certain percentage of negative within any group...and as the group expands/grows, then the numbers of each inevitably increase as well...so perhaps its just a case of it being more noticeable due to sheer numbers.

Some of the changes to the board have wierded me out at times...as was said some time ago, in another thread, sometimes too much change too fast can be unsettling and get people jittery and thus more likely to snark off at someone.

Everything is swings and roundabouts though...like any pendulum, it swings one way, then back the other way...and so on and so on until, eventually, it settles at an equilibrium.

Its just a matter of time.

Peace,
ALIEN

Wow, finally someone who even partially understands what I have sensed. This is exactly what I was thinking.

"I have also noticed a change...something just feels 'diiferent', almost (dare I say) menacing at times. Dunno what the heck it is...but there seems to be some dark undercurrent. "

Now I know I'm not that crazy.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cammo Dude
Now I know I'm not that crazy.

...umm, that deduction is of course based on the assumption I am sane...

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Abraham Virtue
Basically it comes down to this. Things change and so do people. So what is the point???

Do you want to be the change police???

Really I don't get the point of this topic. Is there one???

Please I want to know what Cammo Dude is getting at.

Let me know.

Your Friend,
Abe

*pause**sigh*
(I will calm down)

~~~~~~~~~

(I'm good)

I told you already that I have no problem with change. Please listen to me. My point may even be with your issue with censorship (dang I'm getting tired of that word!). It is all of the problems that are seeming to be unseen as Alien had said. If you just look at my question, it pertains to you too. So if you continue to persecute my concerns, you are also persecuting your own.

For some reason, I want to post down my old signature:
How can you question others when you can't even question yourself?

Don't know why I had that urge...

[Edited on 7-10-2003 by Cammo Dude]

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Being still considered a "noob", I guess my post was merely non-comment and just a "post-count"?!?

Just kidding Cammo...

Your looking for answers and I merely gave what you already knew. I'll proceed to 'edit' it away....

Just messing....Peace.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I didn't mean for my post to be harsh but I was merely trying to get you to quit beating around the bush. Lets face it, you are bitting your tounge. You have something you want to say but I guess you are afraid. I can only ask why. To me this topic is just avoiding the real issues. I think this topic is boring and it could be A LOT more constructive. That is my point. If that is too harsh for you then just wait until those that disagree with you come around. Please get the ball rolling. Cause this is dead weight if you ask me.

Your Friend,
Abraham

By the way, there is no reason to get made and use red faces.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 03:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
Being still considered a "noob", I guess my post was merely non-comment and just a "post-count"?!?

Just kidding Cammo...

Your looking for answers and I merely gave what you already knew. I'll proceed to 'edit' it away....

Just messing....Peace.

regards
seekerof

Hey, I feel that I need to hear from everyone. I just couldn't find any needed comments to add to yours. Don't feel that I didn't care. I want to see both sides of the fence.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Cammo Dude, seeing that you've been registered since 02', I guess you have seen many changes and a lot of people come and go. As for the "dark undertone" I guess I haven't been here long enough to pick up on it per se'. I certainly hope it didn't come in with me but I do see many post that seem "canned" like in the political forums but I've seen those since I've been here.

I've seen two distinct types of people post on here , the first is seeking to broaden horizons and become more informed and entertained on topics and information that aren't mainstream. Then there are those who , for some reason, choose to ignore this vast resource in liu of pushing through their political agendas all the while oblivious to anyone elses ideas. They are, for me, very easy to weed out and I really take they're post with grains of salt becuae I understand they are "recruiters" for their cause.

I take it from your post you may be referring to the later individuals? Maybe not? I agree with Alien in that as something of this nature grows it will attract not only those who want to benefit personally and contribute for the good of the forums but also those who seek to overtake the freedom of thought among the members and transform them into their own little personal armies carrying forth their stained doctrine.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:29 PM
link   
i'm new and this is the best forum i have ever come across.

Diversity and open mindedness of the users attract people to this forum i would imagine.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by astrocreep
Cammo Dude, seeing that you've been registered since 02', I guess you have seen many changes and a lot of people come and go. As for the "dark undertone" I guess I haven't been here long enough to pick up on it per se'. I certainly hope it didn't come in with me but I do see many post that seem "canned" like in the political forums but I've seen those since I've been here.

I've seen two distinct types of people post on here , the first is seeking to broaden horizons and become more informed and entertained on topics and information that aren't mainstream. Then there are those who , for some reason, choose to ignore this vast resource in liu of pushing through their political agendas all the while oblivious to anyone elses ideas. They are, for me, very easy to weed out and I really take they're post with grains of salt becuae I understand they are "recruiters" for their cause.

I take it from your post you may be referring to the later individuals? Maybe not? I agree with Alien in that as something of this nature grows it will attract not only those who want to benefit personally and contribute for the good of the forums but also those who seek to overtake the freedom of thought among the members and transform them into their own little personal armies carrying forth their stained doctrine.

i hadn't read this when i wrote, you've made me look at this place in a whole new light. Oh well, my bad. i guess because this site is so unique there are lots of unique people pushing their ideas. i don't think it is necessarily negative, but some minds could get corrupted i guess. Anywawyz like i said i'm new and don't know # about this forum.

posted on Jul, 10 2003 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I think i have a pretty valid question; why the drama? not you cammo dude, but abraham. Why do certain people feel like this needs to be a place of nerves instead of a relaxing forum in which people come together to discuss the abnormal, not writing a sci-fi episode of Days of Our Lives?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join