It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hey, Climate Change Activists: MANY Australian Bush Fires Are Deliberately Set

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Ok, I live in one of the regions of Australia that is currently on fire. Thankfully my town has been spared so far.

I can tell you that as the fires have approached, there are two cases of arson/attempted arson I am aware of. One was in a small town roughly 25km's away- a person of no fixed address was arrested and charged with arson along with drug related crimes.

Whilst we were staying at friends place in the next town west when it was starting to build to extreme conditions again somebody allegedly tried starting a fire just a few blocks south of me.

A majority of the current fires have been started by dry lightning as a result of the main fires. When bush fires here grow to a particular size and ferocity they begin to generate their own weather including thunder and electrical storms.

For the past 10 years here the bush land has been drying out at a rate no local has seen before. Many farmers, people who work and live in the bush have been saying it is the driest they have ever seen it and many have been warning of this 'perfect storm' condition for quite some time.

The severity of what is happening here can not be understated. There will be nearly nothing left of my region which encompasses a large majority of the eastern part of the state of Victoria.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Wardaddy454
Why isn't New Zealand as dry?

That question betrays both an ignorance of basic climate science and of the freakish heatwaves and serious bushfires New Zealand suffered in 2017 and 2019.
edit on 5-1-2020 by EvilAxis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: EvilAxis

That question betrays an ignorance of climate science and ignorance of the freakish heatwaves and serious bushfires New Zealand suffered in 2017 and 2019.

Not to mention geography.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 05:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: strongfp
a reply to: M5xaz

Taxes and money cause climate change?

Nope..
But the left thinks it fixes climate change.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 05:01 PM
link   

edit on 512020 by IAMALLYETALLIAM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 05:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: shawmanfromny

The initial 'cause' of any given fire is not the issue.

It is the conditions on the ground that allow for easy combustion and difficulty in controlling and extinguishing the fire once begun.

This counter argument that X, Y or Z did not cause an incident (i.e. global warming is not caused by mankind) is overly simplistic and dangerous. It does not take into account all the factors involved nor the context which the initiating 'spark' so to speak was a single piece.

It's the same argument that tobacco company's used, "Cigarette smoking doesn't 'cause'" lung cancer." The 19th and 20th centuries deconstructive methods of the science and thinking are no longer valid for the complex problems we need to answer contemporary questions.

Is there a daily medal for the stupidest question posted to the internet? Because if there is mate you have just won it by a mile!

If there's a yearly one you may as well collect your medal now as well.

Disparate ecosystems and basic geography are but two simple answers.......wow...

Did you register as a brain donor or something?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: Dr UAE
a reply to: weirdguy

Al Gore has nothing to do with what is happening now FFS

neither does climate has to do with what Australia is going through

Actually yes it does, do you have any references to say that it doesn't? or are you just parroting what climate change deniers say?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: IAMALLYETALLIAM

A majority of the current fires have been started by dry lightning as a result of the main fires. When bush fires here grow to a particular size and ferocity they begin to generate their own weather including thunder and electrical storms.

Exactly and embers enable the firestorms to jump containment lines and even rivers. It's pretty obvious to most people that climate is a major contributing factor in these firestorms. I guess some people though, such as our prime minister and some ATS members are retarded.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Another thing that is profoundly stupid is the fact that grown men get triggered by an autistic young girl with something to say. Look out! That young girl has something to say again! pffft pathetic.....

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Here is what the Scientific American has to say on the Australian fires, from December 31st.

The effects of rising temperature on drying out the environment can be countered by rainfall or by the growth of vegetation that increases humidity locally. But in the southern half of Australia, where rain falls mostly in the winter, there has been a substantial decline in precipitation. In the southwest of the country, rainfall has declined by around 20 percent since the 1970s, and in the southeast, around 11 percent of rainfall has been lost since the 1990s.

One of the factors driving this long-term loss of winter rainfall is the positive trend in the Southern Annular Mode (SAM). This change is causing the westerly winds that circle the Southern Ocean to shift southward toward Antarctica, causing rain-bearing winter cold fronts to pass south of the Australian continent. The role of anthropogenic climate change in driving this trend in the SAM is also clear in the science.

Southeastern Australia has been in drought since 2017. Rainfall here is normally highly variable from year to year, but there have now been three winters in a row where the winter rains failed. This is a situation that has never been seen before in the historical record of Australia’s rainfall, even during infamous decade-long droughts such as the Millennium Drought. The severity of the current drought has caused large swathes of vegetation to die. It has even dried out wet rain forests, allowing fierce fires to take hold in places that would not normally burn.

The current summer has presented the perfect storm for wildfire. Long-term climate warming, combined with years of drought, colliding with a set of climate patterns that deliver severe fire weather.

In the tropical Indian Ocean, one of the most severe positive Indian Ocean Dipole (IOD) events on record played out this year. The unusually cold sea-surface temperatures in the eastern Indian Ocean cut off one of Australia’s critical moisture sources, adding to the ongoing drought in southern parts of the country. Australia’s worst fire seasons typically follow positive IOD events, much more so than the influence of El Niño events in the Pacific. Again, climate change is part of the story, because anthropogenic warming is causing positive IOD events to become stronger and more frequent.

The angry summer playing out in Australia right now was predictable. The scientific evidence is well known for how anthropogenic greenhouse gas emissions are causing long-term climate change and altering climate variability in ways that increase our fire risk. The role of climate change in the unprecedented fires gripping Australia is also well understood by our emergency services. Sadly, though, this summer has occurred against a backdrop in which the Australian government has argued, on the world stage, to scale back our greenhouse-gas-emissions-reduction targets. Our leaders are literally fiddling while the country burns.

blogs.scientificamerican.com...

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: weirdguy
Another thing that is profoundly stupid is the fact that grown men get triggered by an autistic young girl with something to say. Look out! That young girl has something to say again! pffft pathetic.....

I agree with everything you have said though I do not think we need to be lectured by a child with questionable lineage and absolutely no credentials who pretends to sit on train floors to attend climate conferences when in fact she had first class accommodations. If she had something to say that was of value and not just finger pointing chastisement would be a different case.

My old man has been fighting fires in this area for 20+ years- in a fire storm situation they do not even need fuel to move from one location to another and can spread up 1km+ purely burning through the oxygen which is terrifying!!

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I would bet that ninety percent of the fires in Australia were started by people or people's activity, not climate change. We have to have spark arresters on mufflers here, that is the law if you are out riding four wheelers or motorbikes in the woods, almost all equipment also has to have spark arresters when in the wood. It is not good to have sparks flying around.

Lawnmower blades hitting rocks cause sparks too, discarded joints and cigarettes do to. People camping also must make sure to make sure their fires are out and secure so fires do not start.

The hot dry weather there is not too unusual, a year or two of that is not a good judge of global warming.

There are also people out there that like to start fires, and one person can start many fires.

That girl does not know all the facts and she is just focusing on what she believes is the problem. I do agree that we need to be good environmental stewards, but the Paris agreement is expensive and severely flawed, especially when you see these climate people flying all over the world. Their environmental impact is way more than mine ever was and they act like they are saints because they talk the talk even though they do not walk the walk.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:03 PM
link   
is human caused climate change to blame? personally i don't believe in that religion. thing is climate is and always has been changing. areas go dry for times, others grow more moist for a time. just look at California. California is not under drought like they would have us believe. instead they are coming out from a long period of deluge, where it has had more rain and moisture for about 50 years.

and with all the fresh water from all continents draining into the oceans of course areas will become dryer as that water leaves. in Canada lakes and river systems have been drying up for far longer than i have been alive. i have seen old paintings from the pioneer times showing raging rivers where now those rivers are almost calm streams. i have seen with my own eyes this occurring over the years. in one case a camp trip i was on decided to run a river system that had not been done in over 40 years. we not only had the last trip's notes and maps with us. but we also had free access to an old man who had been a teenager on that last trip on site to talk to before and after that trip. the reason that route had stopped being used was due to the logging in the area. it created a congested route. and in one case a log jam was blown up with no warning as that last trip rounded the bend where it was at. yet when we ran that river system it had changed dramatically. and area that they once floated huge rafts of logs on, was now barely big and deep enough to canoe through. in fact requiring us to get out and portage or drag our canoes through water to shallow to paddle through. higher class rapids had become small falls from the reduced water levels. while calm areas had become rapids. all the while we could see the old shore lines and water levels a long way and much deeper than the were at that time. most with younger forest growth growing on what had been the old river and lake bottoms.

on a trip we did as a family we followed a route my father had done as a teen with his boy scout troop. again lake levels were much lower and rivers and lakes much shallower than when he had been on the trip. with old logging equipment and such sitting far back on land high and dry, which originally would have been IN the water. it had been high and dry when he did the trip, but not anywhere near as high and dry as when we did it. and we saw such things on pretty much every trip we did. i have even seen for myself over my lifetime that the water levels of lake Ontario (one of the great lakes, for those who are not familiar with them), have dropped a couple of feet from when i was a kid. a boat ramp we used is now not even touching the water at the bottom edge. and the pier we used to jump off of into the water, if you were to jump now you would likely break a leg since there is barely any water. even landmarks on the shore which were right at water level, are now about 2 feet above the water level.

and the thing is as lakes and rivers dry up, the land around them also starts to dry up. we even know big parts of the Sahara desert were once lush and green, even having major rivers in it. while other parts were actually under seas. or the area that Israel sits was also once lush and green. one called a land of milk and honey. which yet again is more arid desert these days. with only human intervention making some areas green and suitable for farming. so we can see it is natural for areas to dry up. not due to humans pollution, but just part of nature. and would you like to bet that as those areas dried out naturally fires in those areas became an issue?

now i can't speak for Australia directly. but i do know that the big fires in North America have been caused and made far worse by humans. but it has nothing to do with things like pollution and CO2. it is the fact that idiots have been in charge and with their good intentions of saving forests and animals by putting out every little fire has interfered with nature and laid the foundation for the fires to become so big and out of control so easily. and i suspect that if looked into you would see the same problems affecting Australia. and if you think about it. all these fires are showing u s the danger of letting these human caused climate change zealots having t heir way. their good intentions are likely to cause far more and worse environmental damage as to help at all. just like with these fires. by interfering in the natural cycles of climate. our recorded history is just a tiny bit of the span of the planets life according to science. and so really does not show anything since such data is so insignificant. it's like polling 100 people and saying that their opinions are the opinions of the entire country. there is just not enough available data to support claims of humans causing problems with the climate. and while i do believe that humans are causing some issues, i don't believe we are anywhere even close to the reason the climate is changing. and interestingly enough most of what humans do cause in regards to heating up the planet are not even mentioned by the human caused climate change believers. which just shows how faulty their so called scientific studies and conclusions are.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:07 PM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

All sorts of things start the fires but that is sort of beside the point. There are always people making sparks, malfunctioning equipment making sparks, and nature making sparks (lightings). What is unprecedented right now, is the early onset, geographical range, and the extent to which it is spreading. Here is yet more analysis from an expert. David Bowman, Professor of Pyrogeography and Fire Science at the University of Tasmania:

All of the indications are that we are galloping into changing fire regimes. We can certainly see that with what’s occurred in the Australian alps (the snow country in southeastern Australia, near Mount Kosciuszko). There were incredibly intense fires there around the early 2000s and now those areas are re-burning.

To me, as a fire researcher, that’s an astonishing thought.

Yes, there have been very large fires in the past but they weren’t followed up with yet more very large fires a mere 15 years later. Normally, you’d be expecting a gap of 50 or 100 years. So the ecology is telling us that we are seeing the intervals between the fires shrinking. That is a really big warning sign.

And this increasingly frequent fire activity is completely consistent with what climate modelling was suggesting. The whole system is moving to a world that is hotter, drier, and with more frequent fire activity. It’s what was forecast and it’s what is now happening.

theconversation.com...

edit on 5-1-2020 by harold223 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:41 PM
link   
a reply to: harold223

He says it cycles, yet he says this cycle is climate change but the others weren't? That isn't even correlation.

Yes, we are poluting, but what the Paris Climate change BS is pushing is not going to fix the problem. We need to build things to last way longer, remaking all this death dated crap with short life has to stop. That is the best way to fix it. Also, we need to stop dumping all these chemicals onto our land, it is killing the organisms that actually tie up the carbon. Lots of microbes are beneficial to the environment.

The climate agenda scam is just a scam, the old environmentalists back in the seventies were trying to tell people to stop all of the destruction to the environment, heck, they would pile six to eight people into a VW van and travel hundreds of miles to go to demonstrations, they did not fly or travel individually, they actually carpooled. One person flying across the country equates to more fuel than three people driving across the country in a car. So, a couple flying across the country is way worse than them driving. On top of that, if you had to drive, you would probably not go because your vacation would be all traveling.

It is all screwed up now, Activists do not have to slam people, they need to educate them and get the people to demand products that last way longer. It would save money if everything lasted twice as long too, even if the cost was a third more. China can make products that last but the importers from America want them to fail so they can sell new ones again in a few years. Our economy is consumer based now mostly, so everyone has to buy more often so our people got jobs selling and transporting goods from china, we should make more here where environmental standards are higher.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
Just to put things in perspective,

Nothing to worry about huh?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: harold223

He says it cycles, yet he says this cycle is climate change but the others weren't? That isn't even correlation.

Yes, we are poluting, but what the Paris Climate change BS is pushing is not going to fix the problem. We need to build things to last way longer, remaking all this death dated crap with short life has to stop. That is the best way to fix it. Also, we need to stop dumping all these chemicals onto our land, it is killing the organisms that actually tie up the carbon. Lots of microbes are beneficial to the environment.

The climate agenda scam is just a scam, the old environmentalists back in the seventies were trying to tell people to stop all of the destruction to the environment, heck, they would pile six to eight people into a VW van and travel hundreds of miles to go to demonstrations, they did not fly or travel individually, they actually carpooled. One person flying across the country equates to more fuel than three people driving across the country in a car. So, a couple flying across the country is way worse than them driving. On top of that, if you had to drive, you would probably not go because your vacation would be all traveling.

It is all screwed up now, Activists do not have to slam people, they need to educate them and get the people to demand products that last way longer. It would save money if everything lasted twice as long too, even if the cost was a third more. China can make products that last but the importers from America want them to fail so they can sell new ones again in a few years. Our economy is consumer based now mostly, so everyone has to buy more often so our people got jobs selling and transporting goods from china, we should make more here where environmental standards are higher.

I agree entirely about goods needing to last longer. Consumer capitalism has bought about a situation of planned obsolescence so that people are always buying and consuming. That has got to stop - but stopping that is very bad for business. The other stuff you mention about not believing in the climate science that is before us. Might as well be a flat earther at this point. Sorry but it is fact, pure and simple, undeniably proven fact. If you do not believe the overwhelming weight of peer reviewed evidence on this matter then the conversation ends here for me. I will not waste my time because nothing I can say, or link to will make you believe otherwise.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Phage

Does that mean climate change cannot exacerbate the problem?

Australia see temps just like this every summer

Just like California

Both were the climate is similar they have the same bushfire problems, we are seeing an increase due to far left climate alarmists exacerbating bushfires, not climate

When you see a bush fires on this scale in parts of the world it isn’t the norm, you might have a point but everything looks pretty normal

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 12:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: TritonTaranis

originally posted by: Phage

Does that mean climate change cannot exacerbate the problem?

Australia see temps just like this every summer

Just like California

Both were the climate is similar they have the same bushfire problems, we are seeing an increase due to far left climate alarmists exacerbating bushfires, not climate

When you see a bush fires on this scale in parts of the world it isn’t the norm, you might have a point but everything looks pretty normal

Bull...

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: weirdguy
I have to ask, what is that first map supposed to represent?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join