It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US forces attack journalists who say too much

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:31 AM
link   
Greetings all,

It appears the reason US forces targetted Italian journalist Sgrena is because she was writing an article exposing the US use of Napalm and chemical WMDs in Fallujah :

Here is her article they wanted to stop:
www.ilmanifesto.it...

An article pointing to US use of WMD in Fallujah:
www.uruknet.info...

An earlier article on same subject:
electroniciraq.net...

There is considerable evidence the US targets journalists who write what the US does not want known :

CNN's Eason Jordan sacked for admitting that US may be targetting journalists:
www.freerepublic.com...
www.watchblog.com...
www.poe-news.com...

US targetting journalists? :
www.interventionmag.com...

Pentagon warns it may target journalists:
beirut.indymedia.org...

Not a good time to be trying to report the facts,
Italian journalists are now leaving Iraq due to US attacks on them:
weekly.ahram.org.eg...

Iasion

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Funny, how come you do not have a single credible news source?

One of the links talks about the use of White Phos and one looks like someones blog :shk:

Edit From Sgrena's own article " No independent source could verify the facts," :shk:

If they wanted to stop it, why did they wait so long???? Its dated Nov 2004

[edit on 3/9/05 by FredT]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:37 AM
link   
The US using WMD? The ridiculous absurdity of this venture never ceases to amaze me. Did we just spend 300 billion dollars to find out that the WMD came from America? It's a sad day for America.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

One of the links talks about the use of White Phos and one looks like someones blog :shk:

A credible news source? That is an oxymoron for today's embedded reporters.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Justanotherperson
The US using WMD? The ridiculous absurdity of this venture never ceases to amaze me. Did we just spend 300 billion dollars to find out that the WMD came from America? It's a sad day for America.

WHoa then way to shoot from the hip. You call that proof of WMD use??? :shk:

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 12:42 AM
link   
It would seem that reporters have either gotten more careless in thirty years time or there is an effort to remove unwanted reporters. I think that anybody who steps into a warzone that wasn't a native of the warzone location is a fool.

I've read that more journalists have died in Iraq in this current conflict than in Vietnam, but according to cpj.org, it appears that this is not yet the case. 37 compared to 66 for the Vietnam Conflict. Although this site distinguishes between journalists and "media workers" who help out journalists. If the media workers are added to the total, the number killed by hostile action rises to 56 involved in the media killed in Iraq so far.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Frith]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frith
It is odd that in Iraq more reporters have now been killed than during the Vietnam Conflict. The Vietnam Conflict never had a "Mission Accomplished" sign and it lasted quite a many years longer than the current Iraq occupation has. It would seem that reporters have either gotten more careless in thirty years time or there is an effort to remove unwanted reporters. I think that anybody who steps into a warzone that wasn't a native of the warzone location is a fool so I really cannot add much more.

Why do you find this so 'odd'? The maximum number of reporters in the field during Vietnam was 47, out of a total pool of about 400 total. How many reporters are in Iraq now? How many reporters have covered the war in Iraq to date? Tens of thousands I'm sure.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by SourGrapes
Why do you find this so 'odd'? The maximum number of reporters in the field during Vietnam was 47, out of a total pool of about 400 total. How many reporters are in Iraq now? How many reporters have covered the war in Iraq to date? Tens of thousands I'm sure.

Tens of thousands of reporters physically in Iraq during this conflict? Seems like that would be a high number for a group of people who were warned that any satellite uplink would be targeted for attack.

[edit on 9-3-2005 by Frith]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Over 1000 reporters were over there when the war first started. 700 of them were imbedded with our own military. That was two years ago.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:03 AM
link   
if the story on how everything occured was true I would have blown the entire vehicle up. These people risk their life daily and are blown up in a similar fashion when approached like this.
Its just a coincidence. If Geraldo would have been shot at they would have found out he was writing an anti-bush article or something.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Edit From Sgrena's own article " No independent source could verify the facts," :shk:

If they wanted to stop it, why did they wait so long???? Its dated Nov 2004

[edit on 3/9/05 by FredT]

Credible!!! Which F****** news source in this world is credible!! BBC are a bunch of liers (Remember when the beastie boys came to UK for first time. And the Sinn fein miming act. "Please don't be soooo bloody ignorant".) and the BBC is the most respected news authority in the WORLD. So please don't ask for a credible news source for as long as they are runned by big multi-billion companies there will NEVER be a credible news source. The papers the news EVERYthing is in the media is run by the government and secret services too keep us "Safe" and away from "Harm" C'mon enough BS.

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 06:14 AM
link   
I find it very hard to believe that some low level soldiers would be advised to kill an ITALIAN journalist...way to much of a PR risk...story doesnt seem likely...my guess...it was a friendly fire f-up...nothing more then that...a sad mistake...but still a mistake...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:48 PM
link   
oh yea, im a group of soldiers plotting to kill you so i fire just enough to kill you but upon looking in your car i see youre only injured so with 3 witnesses alive i get you to an army hospital...yea thats smart when i couldve opened your car doors and dragged you out and shot you point blank, buried your bodies in the desert and burned all evidence...

edit: typo

[edit on 10-3-2005 by namehere]

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
buried your bodies in the dessert...

mmmmm, sounds yummy! Can I have a cherry on top?

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hunting VeritasThe papers the news EVERYthing is in the media is run by the government and secret services too keep us "Safe" and away from "Harm" C'mon enough BS.

so very true mate! guess you've been watching the banned season on channel 4 too

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
As long as they get rid of the mainstream media, its oK with me.............

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 09:16 AM
link   
FredT:

You want some credible news sources that the US Army has been deliberately targetting non-embedded journalists?

How about a high-level executive from CNN who made the assertion before he resigned?

www.cbsnews.com...

Good enough? You'd figure someone at CNN would know the score.

Also, do a google search for "journalist killed Palestine Hotel" and you will eventually find a video where a US tank pauses before it launches a shell into the hotel, where only journalists are staying.

jako

jako

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 12:56 PM
link   
>>The papers the news EVERYthing is in the media is run by the government and secret services too keep us "Safe" and away from "Harm" C'mon enough BS.

This seems a bit extreme, but I do think we should educate ourselves with various sources to make an educated decision for ourselves.

new topics

top topics

join