It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did Trump just accidentally end our forever war in Iraq?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 06:59 PM
link   
But we still need to make sure the oil is sold in dollar$ or we are all cooked.
I believe we have been over there to make sure the Iraqi oil was sold in dollar$.
Remember when all those Iraqi oil wells/contracts went to other countries and everyone was surprised we did not get the oil for ourselves, so long as it was sold in $$$ mission accomplished.That is why we keep our special relationship with the Saudi's even though we are energy independent we need oil sold in $$$ on the world market.
Every country that ever threatened to sell gold in another currency is either dead, occupied or payed off.
That is the way I see it, it has all been about a currency war, if and when we lose the dollar dominance we will be in real trouble.

originally posted by: network dude
a reply to: dashen

doesn't this negate the "if we leave them now" issue? We didn't leave them, they told us to go. OK. Pack up and come home boys. We will just sell our own oil for a bit.

The poor left wing war mongers will be sad, but WGAF?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TheRedneck

Thank you for the history pre Reza. And I can agree with "the day after forever" feeling, you are right..never should of gone there.

I do remember quite well the hostages situation, I feel for Carter, he was/is a good man, at the time stuck between a rock, and a hard place.

Lets hope for the best at this point!

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Unlikely? Can't confirm the below, but if that is what he said...not only is it not going to end a forever war, it's going to escalate it. JFC

Link

The man is a FN lunatic.

As I said in another thread, purposefully destroying cultural sites will just further enrage them, which is not de-escalation. It's purposeful provocation. I'd also like to add that, not only is that forbidden by DOD, it is the exactly the same types of things that ISIS did: purposefully destroying historical and cultural sites. That's called terrorism.
edit on 5-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Liquesence

I think he's baiting them into a serious attack so we can take out their oil fields and nuclear sites

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen

I think he's baiting them into a serious attack so we can take out their oil fields and nuclear sites

Perhaps. But this is Iran. It won't be so easy just to "take out their oil fields and nuclear sites" and expect to go home.

It's a very serious and dangerous game that will affect multitudes of people.
edit on 5-1-2020 by Liquesence because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It wasn't a real vote considering Kurds and Sunni's were not involved.

meaning Shia majority - thus Iran.

Iran just asked the US to leave Iraq.

Well, of course they did...

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Well, according to NPR, it's a bit more complicated:

Iraq's parliament, meeting for an emergency session, voted on Sunday to expel the thousands of U.S. troops stationed in the country — the latest response to the strike that killed the Soleimani.

The vote still needs the approval of the Iraqi government, which has permitted a U.S. presence in the country to help combat the Islamic State.

Sunni and Kurdish members of parliament boycotted the session, but Shiite parties, many of them Iranian backed, had enough votes to pass the resolution.

The parliament vote on Sunday is nonbinding. The current outgoing government could try to delay the move, but it would be difficult to reject the proposal outright.

Abdul-Mahdi, who resigned in November, has assumed a caretaker role until parliament approves a successor. That could leave the final say on the future of U.S. forces in Iraq to his eventual replacement.

In A Day Of Turmoil, Repercussions Of Soleimani Killing Grow More Widespread

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: Liquesence

Unlikely? Can't confirm the below, but if that is what he said...not only is it not going to end a forever war, it's going to escalate it. JFC

Link

The man is a FN lunatic.

As I said in another thread, purposefully destroying cultural sites will just further enrage them, which is not de-escalation. It's purposeful provocation. I'd also like to add that, not only is that forbidden by DOD, it is the exactly the same types of things that ISIS did: purposefully destroying historical and cultural sites. That's called terrorism.

So what is wrong with that?

A serious question, if that was indeed said, where is he wrong?

Should he respect rules if they don't ?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: Jonjonj

Link

The man is a FN lunatic.

So what is wrong with that?

A serious question, if that was indeed said, where is he wrong?

Should he respect rules if they don't ?

There are many things wrong with war crimes and targeting civilians, cultural sites, and disproportionate responses. It's akin to terrorism, which we condemn.

Should we not be better than those we condemn for the things we declare as wrong? If not, it makes us no better but just as base. It also makes us hypocrites.

But if you're cool with that...

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

James Earl Carter is a great man! Just his work on Habitat for Humanity is enough to say that about him.

But he made a crappy President. He was out of his league and in over his head.

Ironically, Donald Trump is probably a complete butthole. But he seems to be making a good President thus far. Go figure.

Gonna leave you with a little levity here:
    When God first made man, all the parts of the body got together to figure out which would become the boss. The brain spoke up first, claiming he should be boss because he was where all the thought happened. But then the eyes spoke up and announced that they should be boss, because they were how the brain knew where it was. The legs spoke up, too, because without them, they claimed, man couldn't go anywhere.

Then the anus spoke up and applied for the job.

The other parts of the body laughed so hard, the anus closed up and went on strike. After three days the legs got so wobbly they couldn't stand, the eyes got so crossed and foggy they couldn't see, and the brain was so confused it couldn't think. So they all agreed that the anus would be the boss.

Which only goes to show it doesn't take a brain to be boss... just a butthole.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:02 PM
link   

That's a fine sentiment for a headstone.

If we are talking war, there is only one rule: kill them before they kill us. You really need to understand that.

An ex-drill sergeant I used to know would tell me about his tours of duty overseas. His philosophy was simple:

Is it trying to kill me? If yes, kill it.
Might it try to kill me? If yes, kill it.
Could it be thinking about killing me? If yes, kill it.
Could it ever at any time try to kill me? If yes, kill it.

That's war. In war, your platitudes are worse than useless. They're a death sentence.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:05 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Should we not be better than those we condemn for the things we declare as wrong?

Why? Being better than them just means being weaker than them.

Do you think it's a game? All of this?

No game, games have been played for too long. Now the opponent thinks they make the rules. Wrong again.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:16 PM
link   

If we are talking war, there is only one rule: kill them before they kill us. You really need to understand that.

Oh, I understand. Does that also include civilians?

Which begs by overall question:

Is targeting civilians or becoming as base as those against you're fighting ok? Is it right or wrong, is it acceptable?

Could it be thinking about killing me? If yes, kill it.

Women and children can "think" about killing you, especially as an occupier or invader. Should they be killed?

Regardless of what a drill sergeant says and trains one, if one can't designate between right and wrong there is a serious problem and makes one no better than those against they're fighting.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Should we not be better than those we condemn for the things we declare as wrong?

Do you think it's ok to kill civilians?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Do you think it's ok to kill civilians?

Do you kill cancerous cells with chemotherapy?

Ok actually no, but also yes.

In fact, now we are hardlining: Is it ok to protect governments that execute gays?

Stupid frickin question!

🤬

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Jonjonj

Stupid frickin question!

Are you going to answer it?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 11:02 PM
link   
You people are delusional its mindblowing. I've been predicting this Iran and North Korea situation since the beginning, The fact that any of you think Trump is some master strategist is a belief worthy of being institutionalized into a mental hospital. He's the most easily predictable president we''ve ever had because he's nothing but impulse and instinct driven by his need to serve the reflection of his grandiose false image. WWIII here we come and America is DONE. Attacks on coming to our soil and its all your faults for being such #ing dip#s.

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Oh, I understand. Does that also include civilians?

No, I don't think you do. Mainly because you then still ask this question:

Is targeting civilians or becoming as base as those against you're fighting ok? Is it right or wrong, is it acceptable?

That's what war is. Like it or not, when you are going up against someone else who wants to kill you, you have only two choices: kill them first, or be killed. And contrary to video games, one does not get to respawn.

In Vietnam, one tactic used was to strap a live grenade to a baby and throw both into the foxholes. The enemy figured out that Americans were so horrified that they wouldn't just throw the baby back like they would a grenade itself. Hundreds of soldiers were blown to bits over that tactic until it could be drilled into their heads that they had to fight as dirty as the enemy. Some still died even after that. That's where a lot of the "baby-killer" moniker used by protestors came from.

Any weakness will be exploited in war... any weakness. Morality in the face of the immoral is a weakness.

How do I know this? Not real sure why, but in my life I have met many Vietnam vets, and the majority seem to trust me for some reason. I have heard stories that gave me nightmares afterward. I have held grown men, men whose very presence scared those around them, while they cried like a baby. Maybe it's the fact that my own sainted daddy had scars on his soul from Korea. Maybe it's just that I don't judge them. Whatever the reason, these men have taught me a great deal about what war is, and it's nothing like you want it to be.

I will refer to an old movie that I watched many years ago, called Red Dawn. One of the kids has been caught trying to protect his father by selling out his friends, and his friends are about to execute him. He's on his knees crying and begging for his life when one asks, "What makes us better than them if we do this?"

The answer?

"Because, WE LIVE HERE!"

I live here, in America. This is my home. Anyone who attacks America becomes a target... anyone who might attack America is a target when the shooting starts. I will oppose war whenever war can be avoided, but when it cannot, when my country is attacked (and yes, that includes our embassies and territories and even our allies) I will not second guess those who give all to protect us as you do.

Your morality in the face of immorality be damned.

TheRedneck

posted on Jan, 6 2020 @ 12:58 AM
link   

Doubt it since he retaliated with some harsh words towards Iraq. Or... maybe that was on purpose too.

Still... Directly or indirectly... Problem solved!

edit on 6-1-2020 by StallionDuck because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join