It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

German foreign minister will seek direct talks with Iran

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 03:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
I wonder how much Euros the German government and Merkel will deliver to them....

It makes sense. In her FIFTEENTH year as chancellor, it seems she has little use for democracy. Sad to see Germany's political system so moribund. It must be difficult to find just one more person qualified to be chancellor in a country of 83 million people.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 03:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: Graysen
a reply to: HalWesten

Politics is war by other means.

War is politics by other means.

The Germans have been circumventing the US sanctions on doing business with Iran. Trump is threatening to really shut things down, and German petrochemicals firms (BASF) are not sitting still for that. So Germany is sending a special envoy to ensure that Iran honors its contracts with "German" trans-nationals.

The German people are still having problems with being civilized (Germans over 40). /sarcasim

I have been living in Germany (U.S. citizen) since 1977 so I think I might know something about Germany and the German people , not the immigrants.

To this day, travel down to Passau area in Bayern or Bodensee area and start talking trash about Hitler in the local Gastehaus or pub.... I give it 5 mins and you are dragged out and maybe get your ass kicked as well.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 03:34 AM
link   
How very dare the rest of the world try seeking a peaceful solution instead of blindly following the US into yet another pointless illegal war. I liked how Pompeo criticised the rest of five eyes and Europe for not supporting the act of war, then admitted the US claims Iran was planning attacks in the US and Europe were made up and they hadn't consulted allies prior to the act of war.

edit on 5-1-2020 by bastion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:36 AM
link   
a reply to: Spacespider

This is a disgusting move imo. This is like Germany giving US the finger and go pet the enemy.

I find it a ray of hope , but then I'm not a warmonger.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

This is a disgusting move imo. This is like Germany giving US the finger and go pet the enemy.

I find it a ray of hope , but then I'm not a warmonger.

A ray of hope ? he is the warmonger, he is basically telling Iran to be angry at USA.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 05:00 AM
link   

he is basically telling Iran to be angry at USA.

Where in what he says is he doing that ?

Despite the heightened tension in the region, Maas said he wanted to continue Germany’s deployment of around 120 troops in Iraq under the U.S.-led Operation Inherent Resolve.

“The fight against ISIS is and remains in Germany’s interest, and the Bundeswehr is providing important training to this end on the ground,” Maas told the newspaper.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:21 AM
link   

Germany will forever strive to appear meek and docile after the 2nd world war.

Every generation after 1945 have collectively saddled the guilt of their forefathers and passed it on to their children.

No more schadenfreude, only masochism.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:27 AM
link   
a reply to: 19Bones79

Germany are just platying their part in looking like the peace guy all tge time rubbing their Euro hands getting ready for the post Iraqification building contracts factory car transfers of old engine models, infrastructure plants etc all te time looking like the innocent party. Anyway nothing can be done by the Germans, this whole face off with Iran was planned years ago Iran had their chances to come in from the cold but they kept developing for long range missiles etc and more importantly nukes. This whole thing is all about Irans nukes forget ground invasions (unless Iran strikes back to hard against US or Israel, but it's all about the nukes and once those 52 sites have been taken out no more nukes = Iran can go back to being just another normal state that non threatens the PTB and their focus I expect will go east

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: ufoorbhunter

I agree with your assessment 100%.

Europe for all its virtue signaling is salivating about infrastructure contracts should things go south with Iran.

Europe is a frog in a pot of water and the temperature is slowly rising.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: ManFromEurope
a reply to: Graysen

And you like to send your youth to get slaughtered, so shut up about having the morale higher point.

make me.

put me on "ignore." Put you entire computer on "global ignore" if someone else's call to reality upsets you.

For every American killed in combat, there are something like 43 of their combatants slain. I wasn't talking about "morale" or morals either. Purely in terms of effectiveness. Paying Iran to leave the west alone has never worked.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: XCrycek

originally posted by: Spacespider
WORLD NEWSJANUARY 4, 2020 / 9:47 PM / UPDATED 5 MINUTES AGO

Not to worry US, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas is going in with a white flag and free cookies.

BERLIN (Reuters) - German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas will seek direct talks with Iran to try to de-escalate tensions after a U.S. air strike killed Iran’s military commander Qassem Soleimani, a newspaper reported on Saturday.

“In the coming days, we will do all we can to counteract a further escalation of the situation - in the United Nations, the EU and in dialogue with our partners in the region, including in talks with Iran,” Maas told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper.

Maas told the paper he was in close contact with his British and French counterparts, with the European Union’s foreign affairs chief Josep Borrell and with U.S. Secretary of State Mike Pompeo.

Despite the heightened tension in the region, Maas said he wanted to continue Germany’s deployment of around 120 troops in Iraq under the U.S.-led Operation Inherent Resolve.

www.reuters.com...

I'm for one glad we're distancing ourselves from deranged American presidents and their gunho foreign policy.
It has only caused problems for Europe.
That’s odd; I was just thinking we should do the same with NATO and the EU. They don’t have the courage or will to defend themselves and rely on the USA to come to their rescue and pay for their protection. We’ve saved Europe in two world wars — losing hundreds of thousands of young men — and shouldered the burden of protecting it from the Russians for more than 70 years. George Washington was so very wise when he urged us not to get involved in Europe’s wars.
edit on 5-1-2020 by Scapegrace because: Typo

edit on 5-1-2020 by Scapegrace because: Typos

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: bastion
How very dare the rest of the world try seeking a peaceful solution instead of blindly following the US into yet another pointless illegal war. I liked how Pompeo criticised the rest of five eyes and Europe for not supporting the act of war, then admitted the US claims Iran was planning attacks in the US and Europe were made up and they hadn't consulted allies prior to the act of war.

The rest of the civilized world does nothing while Iran tests increasingly longer-ranged ballistic missiles, destabilizes the areas in and around the Arabian Peninsula and threatens to destroy Israel.

And you know Iran never stopped R&D of nuclear weapons, otherwise none of its underground sites would have been off limits to international inspection.

The USA should wash its hands of this mess and get the hell out. But who will restrain the Israelis, with their 200 nukes, once we’re no longer there to keep a lid on Iran? I don’t care anymore.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: ufoorbhunter

Germany are just platying their part in looking like the peace guy all tge time rubbing their Euro hands getting ready for the post Iraqification

Merkle opened her arms wide to the immigrants...... How many came from

Iran/Iraq of the Muslim faith? integration and diversity at its finest? Giranmany!?

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: Scapegrace

And the US does nothing whilst Saudi Arabia funds, exports and sponsors terrorism all around the world, including the US.

Go figure.

One fact I didn't know till today from two independent sources; Iran and the US had started working together very closely in attempting to eliminate The Taliban.
Then out of nowhere and to everyone's amazement came Bush's 'Axis of Terror' speech and the rest as they say was history.

Who's interests did that serve?
The American Military Complex?
Saudi Arabia?
Oil industry?

Its all a # show and about time we all pulled out and let them get on with it.
Let them be responsible for their own actions.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 04:49 PM
link   
a reply to: Freeborn

Iran has been like a terrier snapping at ankles to see what reactions

they get........

British warship was an hour from tanker seized by Iran in 'hostile act'
Britain has admitted its nearest warship was one hour away from the merchant vessel seized by Iran in the Strait of Hormuz on Friday and could do nothing to help.
The defence secretary, said the incident happened in Omani waters and was a "hostile act".
But she said the British Type 23 frigate HMS Montrose was 60 minutes away from being able to help the Stena Impero when it was boarded by Iranian Revolutionary Guards.

The Foreign Office summoned Iran's charge d'affaires, Mohsen Omidzamani, following the seizure of the British-flagged oil tanker.
It came as Jeremy Hunt spoke to his Iranian counterpart Mohammad Javad Zarif to express Britain's concern over the latest hike in tensions in the region.

Mr Hunt wrote on Twitter: "Just spoke to Iranian FM Zarif and expressed extreme disappointment that having assured me last Saturday Iran wanted to de-escalate situation they have behaved in the opposite way.
This has to be about actions not words if we are to find a way through. British shipping must and will be protected.

www.telegraph.co.uk...

Sometimes words are not enough!!

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join