It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UHNWI - The 1% Controlling the Masses is Not What You Think - Not Even Close

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:03 PM
link   
a reply to: MarkOfTheV

Your reply implies that our OP is calling the super wealthy '' evil boogymen''. You extrapolate from the information and concern and turn it into paranoia about evil people who run the world. This did not seem to me to be the message of the OP.

Meanwhile you call all the people on the other side of the economic spectrum disparaging names.

Burger flippers
Fry guys
Brain dead paper pushers
insignificant cogs

And those who point out the wealth disparity...

poor lazy people
and
poor stupid lazy people

You then tell us of all the millionaires you have met. I agree that they are likely not so interested in world domination. However it's interesting the few things you attribute to them. While most people would love to EVEN HAVE a steak tonight, these people apparently have a wide choice of where to go to have them. This does not make them evil.
They are concerned about what their daughters will change into when they go to school. Sure like every parent.

And here is a key to understanding them. Buying expensive stuff for their offices. And how is it that they can afford to buy this expensive stuff, not that it makes them evil. They take part in and guide themselves to thrive in a system that allows them to buy expensive stuff for every room in every house or office while those ''poor fry guys'' of the system don't make enough to afford more than cardboard furniture.

Does that make them evil as you suggest our OP was making them out to be? No yet it is interesting that you claim that OP did while you directly disparage the workers who help to make them rich.

But here is another key. That old hack well known to be used by all the overlords, all the bully bosses and all the guards on the road gang...

''GET BACK TO WORK''

Well ''ok massa'' a be gettin back to it fo ya'' Sorry boss, sorry.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated

originally posted by: strongfp

a reply to: KKLOCO

You can be a billionaire and have little to no political power. You can be broke and have a lot of political power.

Most billionaires have their wealth tied up in companies they created. Being worth a billion does not mean you have billion dollars. It means if you sold everything you own it might add up to a billion.

Those 2500 people may be worth a lot but they've also created trillions in wealth for others as well. Society benefits from their products and services.

Simply being wealthy does not make you nefarious or evil.

And what's happening in the US gives those millionaires and billionaires a lot of power. Corporate america has been propped up so much they are the government, the plutocracy of America is real.

And on the otherside of it, you have nations like Russia, oligarchs and gangsters sway elections almost everytime.

WHy don't you complain about unions like the teachers union? Half the major cities in this country are broke because of union graft and pandering by politicians. This affects all of us with higher taxes.

Unions as much as they can cause grief aren't a threat to democracy nearly as much as just a few people controlling the population. They aren't perfect, but workers ability to organize shouldn't be barred or dettered.

What's happening right now is you have less and less regulation on corporations and they begin to control every aspect of life, including government. It's funny how America went from a capitalistic free market, and saw the horrors of what only a few private citizens can do with simply just money. JP Morgan bailed out the US more then once, is that the type of society you want to live in again? Basically neo feudalism aka run away capitalism?

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

LOL, that last part was great!

Apparently, some people don’t mind being slaves.

Yessa massa

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:12 PM
link   
NVM
edit on 4-1-2020 by MarkOfTheV because: silly... ats is for kids.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:16 PM
link   

I did get rather hyperbolic there huh? However the whole issues of the information you provided and the response, for me at least, is drawn simply in terms of '' vrs ''. Those who question the system'' vrs ''the defenders of the system'' And while I myself am a ''defender of the system'' to a degree, this place, this ATS could be a place where we openly discuss our questions about the system and what is behind it and what drives it, not just roll out the ancient excuses to defend it.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   

I know I said I wasn’t going to reply to you anymore, but I just have to. Cuz your hypocrisy is overwhelming.

Look at your avatar “Who is the controller of worlds”. Wow dude, that’s what this topic is about!

You also must have not read Terry’s post above either. He called you out for calling people names. Then what do you do — call people more names: ‘weirdos’ and ‘poor ignorant small town losers’.

Yup, I’m sure you’ve got a lot of friends. And millionaire friends too. We are all so impressed...

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: TerryMcGuire

I did get rather hyperbolic there huh? However the whole issues of the information you provided and the response, for me at least, is drawn simply in terms of '' vrs ''. Those who question the system'' vrs ''the defenders of the system'' And while I myself am a ''defender of the system'' to a degree, this place, this ATS could be a place where we openly discuss our questions about the system and what is behind it and what drives it, not just roll out the ancient excuses to defend it.

Nope, it was perfect!

Appreciate your insight and contributions!

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Wasn't trying to impress anybody. Was simply trying to suggest that worrying about these kinds of things is a silly waste of time.

It will get us no further crunching this type of information.

It's not how you turn the tide.

It's small thinking.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:25 PM
link   

You can be a billionaire and have little to no political power. You can be broke and have a lot of political power.

Most billionaires have their wealth tied up in companies they created. Being worth a billion does not mean you have billion dollars. It means if you sold everything you own it might add up to a billion.

Those 2500 people may be worth a lot but they've also created trillions in wealth for others as well. Society benefits from their products and services.

Simply being wealthy does not make you nefarious or evil.

And what's happening in the US gives those millionaires and billionaires a lot of power. Corporate america has been propped up so much they are the government, the plutocracy of America is real.

And on the otherside of it, you have nations like Russia, oligarchs and gangsters sway elections almost everytime.

WHy don't you complain about unions like the teachers union? Half the major cities in this country are broke because of union graft and pandering by politicians. This affects all of us with higher taxes.

Unions as much as they can cause grief aren't a threat to democracy nearly as much as just a few people controlling the population. They aren't perfect, but workers ability to organize shouldn't be barred or dettered.

What's happening right now is you have less and less regulation on corporations and they begin to control every aspect of life, including government. It's funny how America went from a capitalistic free market, and saw the horrors of what only a few private citizens can do with simply just money. JP Morgan bailed out the US more then once, is that the type of society you want to live in again? Basically neo feudalism aka run away capitalism?

Practically every major city is hundreds of billions in the hole with pensions on the brink of failure because of union corruption. People can't get their kids a proper education because unions control the public school system and prevent school choice. Here is your boy Bernie telling the unions he will shut down charter schools....

Get real...

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Hey... I live in the real world. The only people I ever encounter in real life that talk about the ruling class and 1% and use all that language, are poor ignorant small town losers.

This to you is the ''real world", a world where the only people who recognize problems with this system are , wait, how did you put that.

Poor ignorant small town losers? Yep that's how you put it all right.

Sorry, that's the only people I've seen in REAL LIFE that talk like that. And when I encounter them, I DO call them out for being hypersensitive if they get hung up on a single word.

No reason to appoligise. However here again you distinguish your experiences of life as the '' REAL LIFE'' which means that others are living a ''False Life'', you know, all those people who you seldom encounter who are hypersensitive.

I added plenty to the conversation, you just got hung up on a word and thought I was calling you names directly.

Yes you have. And if you made this post in regards ''my'' additions to the conversation, I did not think you were calling me names directly. However.

I'm talking about real life experience, I have no idea who any of you weirdos are, and I don't presume to.

Once again you label your life experience as ''real life'' and catagorize all others into ''false life'' and then call them, us, me, weirdos...

Rather telling don't you think?

I don't live in ATS land.

Get a grip, lower your guard, and start thinking outside the box. This is what conversation is, back and forth, not constant validation of your thoughts in an echo chamber.

What ''box'' would that be. A box where ones ''real life experiences'' are the only experiences of value while all others are false? A ''box'' where ''the real world'' is defined by the limited experiences of one person while the limited experiences of others are a ''not real world'' ? Just what could be the limits and nature of your box?

And yes, conversation is back and forth and not constant validation of thoughts in an echo chamber. So maybe, just maybe your advice to lower our guard and start thinking outside of the box would be best accomplished by all of us in a conversation recognizing just which box we ourselves might be in.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Edumakated

Teacher unions are a different story. But if you start to bar unions in one field, it's going to have a domino effect.

Maybe start reevaluating taxes and where tax payer money goes instead of complaining about collectives you aren't part of.
Hell, even Bill gates says that taxes shouldn't be this low, he can only give away so much of his wealth without stepping on the toes of his share holders who want more and more. Those are the people who need to be taxed the most, and perhaps, maybe, public education systems won't be so vicious to unionize.
When you have teachers who front the bill for classroom supplies, that's a symptom of the American education system as a whole, from the top to the union, to the student and teacher.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

You take all these things far too seriously dude. Chill out.

I'll just repeat my reply to the other ruffled set of feathers in the room...

I was trying to suggest that worrying about these kinds of things is a silly waste of time.

It will get us no further crunching this type of information.

It's not how you turn the tide.

It's small thinking.

Worrying about who or what makes up this or that percent and researching it and all that jazz is no way to make any of it change.

Could we petition ATS for a "BREAK OUT THE WHITEBOARD" feature please!? haha... chill out guys... damn. its saturday. and saturdays alright for fighting.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:45 PM
link   

To late. It is copied already in another reply. However I see you have done it once again by the little notation as to why you deleted your post. Here is is right here

''Silly, ATS is for kids.''

Kids? Yep, that fits with small town losers and weirdos and all the other slights you have dribbled into this thread. You certainly ''have'' added plenty to this thread.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:50 PM
link   

I'll be more specific.

What does this all mean to me?

1. We need to stop calling them the 1%; because they don’t even come close to 1%.

2. In poker, there is a phrase called “The great transfer of wealth”. I’m sure you can see where I’m going with that.

1. Okay... how about... the hyper-rich?

2. Yes I see where you are going with that, and I'd rather not transfer wealth to the burger flippers.

What now?

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

We had a late night last night, family visiting and everyone is getting up groggy. Like you, I do not live in ATS land and am just sitting here filling time, not trying to change the world.

I to recognize that that this conversation or this thread will not change anything. Likely it's far to late. Far to late because from ''my little box'' this conversation needed to have gone viral decades ago. But it did not. Those who attempted to hold this conversation and figure out our economic problems and how to remedy them decades ago were met with a resounding ''Get back to work'' repeated and repeated by those defenders of the system who had it ''swell'' because they too were part of the ''wealthy class'' and those who wished to be part of it by defending it.

Opps, everyones up and it's time for me to go and join ''that'' real world. So have a nice day and I"m outta here.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Good discussion on this thread.

It's not so much that so few people own so much wealth, as it is how government tax policy has so many loopholes. That some large companies making great profits pay no US taxes at all is fundamentally and obviously unfair.

That is what need to be corrected. Just as we had under Glass-Steagall for 60 years, reasonable regulation by government can make things better.

That many wealthy people are donors to charities is a good thing, but what's lacking is the same spirit regarding wages to workers. Fundamental fairness needs to be addressed.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Smart man responding to those who are clueless... Their foundations control it all.a reply to: IncessantOptimist

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Obviously you are communist for even talking about this subject.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Salander

That many wealthy people are donors to charities is a good thing, but what's lacking is the same spirit regarding wages to workers. Fundamental fairness needs to be addressed.

THIS right there is the truth. There was a thread on ATS recently, that discussed the incredibly poor working conditions and wages for Amazon employees. Jeff Bezos is labeled as the richest person in the world at 113 billion. It’s my thinking that even if he was worth 50 billion and provided better working conditions and wages for his employees— he’d be just as happy. Whats the difference in 113 billion over 50? It’s all gravy after the first billion.

I find it mind boggling that others in this thread can’t wrap their head around that.

The true question, did they make their money in all fairness? Or was it by providing terrible working conditions, wages and flimsy benefits for their employees? I’d say the majority fall in the latter category.

This is what I meant by transferring wealth. I didn’t mean ALL of it. Balance it out a little.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 03:01 PM
link   
This thread depresses me, I need to go out and buy a lotto ticket so I can belong to the one percent. I won't spend any of it, just stick it into the bank or something. We have enough to live off of, we determined what our needs and wants are and limit our wants to just treats occasionally.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join