It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Tobacco Law a Psychology Experiment

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:17 AM
link   
Without fanfare or warning, the legal age to buy Nicotine products in The U.S.A. is now 21.
With that being said, It was implemented in about two weeks. Of all of the things in this nation to be started and accepted, towards Consumers and Voters. The Social Media response of this new change in law, where, different age categories have to police the
under 21's has been interesting on my end...Some teens are trying to buy, and use the bluff that they have been grandfathered in to buy. The blowback at small town retailers from previously legal consumers...Creates an agist tension, In my Opinion. Further dividing the nation...This is a social Experiment I suspect, deep for data mining. What other Law can just be Willy nilly changed? Does this make you wonder just how seriously our politicians enforce the laws..

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:28 AM
link   
a reply to: 2ndTenor

I don't see anything wrong with the legal age being 21.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: 2ndTenor
Without fanfare or warning, the legal age to buy Nicotine products in The U.S.A. is now 21.
With that being said, It was implemented in about two weeks. Of all of the things in this nation to be started and accepted, towards Consumers and Voters. The Social Media response of this new change in law, where, different age categories have to police the
under 21's has been interesting on my end...Some teens are trying to buy, and use the bluff that they have been grandfathered in to buy. The blowback at small town retailers from previously legal consumers...Creates an agist tension, In my Opinion. Further dividing the nation...This is a social Experiment I suspect, deep for data mining. What other Law can just be Willy nilly changed? Does this make you wonder just how seriously our politicians enforce the laws..

Traditionally American psychological ops have always been done covertly or via subterfuge, not directly. Vwheras knee jerk reactions have been done directly and rapidly. This seems to me to be exactly what it seems, legislators know that if they outlaw a product it will be challenged as a first amendment violation and could take years to pass, but age restrictions have president and can be brought in quickly.

Personally, I don't think that half of these products should ever have been on sale. They should have been covered by existing tobacco lawsm

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Ask yourself objectively where could this hurt the relationship between FED and STATE and why do we not see action like this more often? It came from nowhere...Congress who?

a reply to: AaarghZombies

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:53 AM
link   

That is definitely something I didn't think of. There are now 3 years of tobacco users, who could buy legally but now can't. Better increase the Social Services age then too...

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:57 AM
link   

That's just the legal age to purchase though right? Rather than the legal age to consume.

That's how its always been in Australia, you have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, but there's no law on how old you have to be to consume them. So a copper couldn't ever arrest ya for underage cigarette smoking, I'm assuming its the same in the US.

I don't personally see any issue with raising the purchasing age to 21, assuming it doesn't mean a cop can now bust a 19 year old kid for illegal tobacco possession... lol.

End of the day, all it'll really achieve is to teach people under 21 to be more resourceful.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 03:12 AM
link   

I stopped trusting the government with my first elementary school mandated fluoride swish. Government cares about my teeth? Yeah right.

There is always, always, always an ulterior reason behind the reason. Trust nothing. Trust no one.

edit on 4-1-2020 by DietWoke because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I'm not sure if there is a nefarious reason behind the law. As far as this goes, we need to look deeper. We know that the government is having a collective heart attack over the vaping (non)issue. The big tobacco companies have been quietly buying up the vaping product companies. Raise the age to 21 and the magical problem of youth vaping vanishes like Andy Dufresne from Shawshank.

If there is (nefarious reason), this has been going on for a long, long time. Back in the 70's I was able to consume adult beverages at 18 years old. Just before my 20th birthday, Michigan decides that the most important thing in the state is to raise the legal age to 21. Within a couple of weeks. A large group of us went to Lansing to try to get grandfathered in. Nope, sorry kids, you are unable to make decisions regarding your life, only WE can do that.

edit on 4-1-2020 by billxam because: missing word

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 03:56 AM
link   

A better psychological experiment would be to ban tobacco products altogether instead of just letting it roll so the collection of taxes on the back of a known killer can line their pockets on the back of greed.

Not to mention the knock on benefits of banning in totality such as reducing the massive almost unmeasurable burden on heallthcare even if it would take a generation or so to actually start measuring the total bans success.

But altering the legal age to 21 only makes sense and brings it in line with alcohol so - fair enough. Baby steps.

Sounds like a step in the right direction.
edit on 4-1-2020 by CthruU because: 1

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Just more of the government telling us what we should and shouldn't do with our own bodies. Won't change a thing, btw. I've been buying cigarettes since I was 13.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Here is an old thread that may be of interest to you OP:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: LordAhriman
Just more of the government telling us what we should and shouldn't do with our own bodies. Won't change a thing, btw. I've been buying cigarettes since I was 13.

I'm a strong advocate for allowing adults to put whatever they want in their body for the most part.

However, vaping nicotine is huge amongst high schoolers and college kids. Increasing the age to 21 helps prevent kids from getting addicted. Just like the age of 21 for alcohol reduces drunken driving accidents, increasing the age to 21 for nicotine reduces addicts.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 07:17 AM
link   

Cop to19 year old: are you smoking cigarettes??? Up against the wall!!!

19 year old: no. Its just a joint

Cop: oh....my bad. On your way then

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 07:18 AM
link   
a reply to: blueman12

Cite your sources for this specious comment please

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Any kid old enough to enlist in the military and die in battle is also old enough to smoke and drink to their hearts content. Wanna be fair? Change the age of military service to 21, then at least you can claim you give a flying f$#k about our young people, even though you don't. Not in the least. (You in general, not you personally OP)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 08:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: blueman12

Oh, I know. I have 2 high school girls who knew more about vaping in middle school than I'll never know. But think about what you said. They're in high school, they weren't old enough before this law, yet they were still getting it. Nothing will change. They'll still get it. Only difference is now gubment can get some more money via fines from 18-20 year olds.
edit on 4-1-2020 by LordAhriman because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

I don't see anything wrong with the legal age being 21.

Me neither, per say.

The problem arises when you apply the same tactic to say voting, speech, home ownership, firearms. Investing, gambling etc.

Swift action that turns law abiding citizens into criminals virtually overnight without voting or even an argument is worrisome.

Even in this political climate, this had bipartisan support.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Remember kids you can kill for your country but beers and smokes are a no no.
a reply to: Night Star

edit on 4-1-2020 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 09:18 AM
link   

So … if the Federal legal age is 21, and the legal age in your state is 18, I would think State's rights 'trump' the federal law, for lack of a better word to describe it.

Why are the feds suddenly trampling states rights? Oh … oops, the feds have been trampling states rights since before the first US civil war, I guess. My bad.

*cough*

Can anyone say: OVERREACH!!!

*cough* *cough*

edit on 4-1-2020 by Fowlerstoad because: added some spices

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 09:28 AM
link   

I feel like there needs to be one age that is considered as being legally adult for ALL things- not this picking and choosing. If the government wants to raise the legal age to 21 to purchase alcohol and tobacco then the age should also be raised to 21 to vote, to join armed services, to get other than a provisional driver's license, to be able to enter into a legally binding contract, to consent to sex, etc.

Either raise them all to 21 or lower them all to 18.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join