It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US to deploy thousands of additional troops to Middle East following Soleimani killing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:44 PM
link   
Link to CNN

The US will deploy thousands of additional troops to the Middle East as tensions with Iran mount following the airstrike that killed Qasem Soleimani, a US defense official told CNN.

The additional troops will come from the Immediate Response Force of the 82nd Airborne Division. CNN has previously reported that these forces had been placed on prepare-to-deploy orders and would be sent to the region if the situation merited it.

Following the disturbance at the US embassy in Baghdad, the US deployed 750 troops from the same unit and said that additional deployments were possible.

The new deployment will encompass the rest of the brigade, typically about 3,000 soldiers.

People comparing the danger of Trump, Bolton, and Pompeo fooling the country/world into war to the Bush Iraq WMDs but the they miss the size of Iran and the scope of a war with that country.

It’s as big as Germany. Sorry. It has about as many people as Germany. Over 80 million. It’s the 18th most populated country on earth. It’s also the 18th biggest economy in the world as well at about 1.7 Trillion. That’s just behind Canada and Saudi Arabia but hundreds of Billions more than Australia - that underdeveloped defenseless third world country. I didn’t mean to say it was as big as Germany, it’s not even close. It is over 4 times bigger than Germany. It is a massive country with large portions being inhospitable and impassable mountains and deserts. It is not an exaggeration to say that it’s very land is a fortress.

Invading Iran is invading an economy the size of Texas with nearly 3 times the population and more than twice as much area to cover with 10 times the logistical issues. It would make the Vietnam War seem quaint, short, and clean. This ignores that this would almost certainly lead to a cascading series of events that would incite massive, possibly global war. Nearly every probable scenario would result in the deaths of millions as a result of the conflict and its secondary impacts. To accomplish what goals???

If you aren’t terrified of the idea of starting this war I strongly encourage you to speak to a veteran who’s under 80. If the war goes well it would mean years of death and violence on a scale the US has not seen in 2 generations. It won’t go well. I have no idea why we are even considering it.

I’ve posted version of this several times and I e gotten a few response saying the equivalent of “but we’ll just use our Air Force/bombings/missile strikes” or even “we’ll just use nukes.” The first group are scary because they don’t seem to grasp basic math or history. The second are not sane.

The use of ANY nuclear weapons changes the world as we know it. It is the most taboo act of war short of possibly a biological attack. If the order was given it would be better if there were a coup in the US. That would be less destabilizing. Not downplaying that, I’m trying to give a sense of scope. It would break the Western alliance and the US economy, followed by the world, would take a hit to the economy on par with the Great Depression.

For you cybersecurity experts out there: APT 33, 34, 35 and 39 are what you want to look out for.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The Sensationalism is ripe 😃 🪀

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:48 PM
link   
CNN has all the questions but no answers 😃🪀

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:52 PM
link   
a reply to: links234

Everyone here will continue to downplay what all of this means out of some naive faith that Donald Trump knows what he’s doing. While I’m over here thinking that this is the same man who can only sit through a presentation with a lot of pictures and numerous mentions of his own name.

God help us if we end up having to go to war with him as commander in chief.
edit on 3-1-2020 by underwerks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:57 PM
link   

So. . . ummm. . . . let me get this right. . . .

You don't want war, was for Trump leaving Syria, would like us to leave the Middle East completely.

How about Israel?

Can we still help and defend them?

Just asking for a friend.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:01 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Weren’t you one of the people giving vocal support to us abandoning the Kurds because we need to get out of the Middle East?

Lmao.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:06 PM
link   

originally posted by: underwerks

Weren’t you one of the people giving vocal support to us abandoning the Kurds because we need to get out of the Middle East?

Lmao.

Yep.

AM still for leaving, don't want to stay where I'm not wanted.

Not an authoritarian douche like the leftists.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Everyone here will continue to downplay what all of this means out of some naive faith that Donald Trump knows what he’s doing. While I’m over here thinking that this is the same man who can only sit through a presentation with a lot of pictures and numerous mentions of his own name. God help us if we end up having to go to war with him as commander in chief.

Who would we be declaring WAR on? Not the Iranian people. They would love the (ideologically) 7th century tyrannical Mullahs to *poof* disappear into a time period relevant to their barbaric views. They cheer this execution as justified as this murderer has killed their own that dared speak against the regime.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Lmao.

""abandoning the Kurds"" was a ruse to place enemies in a comfort zone and it worked.

Kurdish Intel actually helped locate al-Baghdadi 👁️😃👁️

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:12 PM
link   

So you don’t support a war with Iran? Did you change your mind from the other thread where you were cheering on America taking out their second in command?

I’m really trying to figure out how you can claim to be against more war in the Middle East while cheering on military strikes against a Middle Eastern country..

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

Everyone here will continue to downplay what all of this means out of some naive faith that Donald Trump knows what he’s doing. While I’m over here thinking that this is the same man who can only sit through a presentation with a lot of pictures and numerous mentions of his own name. God help us if we end up having to go to war with him as commander in chief.

Who would we be declaring WAR on? Not the Iranian people. They would love the (ideologically) 7th century tyrannical Mullahs to *poof* disappear into a time period relevant to their barbaric views. They cheer this execution as justified as this murderer has killed their own that dared speak against the regime.

That’s right. Who did we declare war on in Iraq? Not the Iraqi people. I’m sure they’re thrilled with how much better things are there now.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   

So you don’t support a war with Iran? Did you change your mind from the other thread where you were cheering on America taking out their second in command?

I’m really trying to figure out how you can claim to be against more war in the Middle East while cheering on military strikes against a Middle Eastern country..

I'm not a suck-up apologist like you are.

Bad guys deserve to be dead.

But since I've actually served and fought in a war, I feel I'm more qualified to comment on it than you are.

Puddin'.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:19 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

So. . . ummm. . . . let me get this right. . . . You don't want war, was for Trump leaving Syria, would like us to leave the Middle East completely. How about Israel? Can we still help and defend them? Just asking for a friend.

Thanks for asking for me DBCowboy! I know all of the troops that joined the military did so for a specific REASON, and potential overseas deployments to protect those disenfranchised or under threat are probably one of them. You cannot run military operations using just intellect. That idea of "Staring At Goats" is just not effective. Sometimes you put *trained people* that are familiar with firearms in place to safeguard delicate ALREADY KNOWN targets of terrorism (oil fields).
edit on 3-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Well, bless your heart.

You still didn’t answer the question. How can you claim to be against more Middle Eastern wars and at the same time support strikes against a Middle Eastern country? Is it just some type of blind allegiance to the commander in chief left over from when you served or what?

War is peace?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Well, bless your heart.

You still didn’t answer the question. How can you claim to be against more Middle Eastern wars and at the same time support strikes against a Middle Eastern country? Is it just some type of blind allegiance to the commander in chief left over from when you served or what?

War is peace?

I prefer my bad guys dead.

I don't know how to type in crayon so you can get it.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Well, bless your heart.

War is peace?

That’s it?

“I like my bad guys dead.”?

Ok. Moving on.

Lmao

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: vethumanbeing

That’s right. Who did we declare war on in Iraq? Not the Iraqi people. I’m sure they’re thrilled with how much better things are there now.

So I see where this is going. Arm both Iraq and Iran with equal weaponry and let them repeat the war they once had. This time maybe there will be a clear WINNER (everyone else must pinky swear to stay out of the fray). Do you have a preference as to outcome?
edit on 3-1-2020 by vethumanbeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Well, bless your heart.

War is peace?

That’s it? “I like my bad guys dead.”?
Ok. Moving on.
Lmao

Lets not. Do you value your country before you value your life; arm chair intellectual warrior?! (YOU GO YOU).

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:47 PM
link   
There is no gearing up for a major conflict period.

They are bringing in more troops as support....if there was a war brewing, you would know it well in advance.

The ball is now in Iran's court...prepare for a lot of saber rattling and talk....but no major moves on Iran's part. They are out-matched and they damn well know it.

I find it funny that the left is screaming about this and how they would be afraid if there was a war with Trump at the helm, when in actuality, it is Iran who fears a war with Trump at the helm.
edit on 3-1-2020 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

edit on 3-1-2020 by RickinVa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I'm not a suck-up apologist like you are.

Bad guys deserve to be dead.

But since I've actually served and fought in a war, I feel I'm more qualified to comment on it than you are.

Puddin'.
Who the hell cares if you were a slave to the corrupt liars in charge? You aren't special for being in the military. Your opinion isn't worth anything more. Thank you for your service, but shut the hell up.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join