It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Prime Minister's new year goal - more suicides.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:37 AM
link   

Justin Trudeau, Prime Minister of Canada, has declared assisted suicide as one of the government's priority goals for the new year. He aims to make it even more easy for "incurable" patient to receive death.

Assisted suicide has only recently been legalized in Canada by Trudeau, and mainstream media are making sure to portray suicide as the most "heroic" act of courage that elderly people can make.

However, this betrays a serious problem in the current Health system, as the established system is growing obsolete, and incapable of providing for the health of the ageing population. Therefore, instead of improving the services, instead of investing in and advancement, it seems simpler to just terminate patients' lives.

Assisted suicide was amongst Trudeau's original ideas during his election in 2016, and now that the population is slowly warming up to the idea of letting our elders die, he intends on making it easier than ever for doctors to kill a patient for 2020.

This bears concerning resemblance to a program from Nazi Germany. Now, the ideologies motivating such programs differ vastly. The Nazis would kill "useless" people to enforce a master race. Trudeau instead does so as a result of a deficient health system. However, the parallels in the programs are striking.

A bit of history

Many Germans did not want to be reminded of individuals who did not measure up to their concept of a "master race." The physically and mentally handicapped were viewed as "useless" to society, a threat to Aryan genetic purity, and, ultimately, unworthy of life. At the beginning of World War II, individuals with mental or physical disabilities were targeted for murder in what the Nazis called the "T-4," or "euthanasia," program.

The Euthanasia Program required the cooperation of many German doctors, who reviewed the medical files of patients in institutions to determine which handicapped or mentally ill individuals should be killed. The doctors also supervised the actual killings.

edit on 3-1-2020 by swanne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:06 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:14 AM
link   
I would have welcomed assisted suicide when my grandfather was too far gone with Alzheimer's to remember his own wife or children but California wanted to keep him alive for another FIVE YEARS until grandma didn't have any assets or savings. He was "dead" by "natural causes" 18 days after they ran out of money for the more expensive Alzheimer's treatment facility and moved him to a less expensive residential hospice. Death is far less scary to me than the thought my children or partner might feel obligated to visit (and pay for) my bedridden corpse years after I was already gone.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Assisted suicide should be legal. Unless you've watched a loved one die slowly and painfully of a terminal disease like cancer, you don't know what a gift it could be for them.
If a person is terminally ill and still of sound mind, they should be free to make that decision for themselves.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:21 AM
link   
a reply to: swanne

One of the few things I agree with turd-o on.

My dad would have jumped at the chance instead of slowly dying in a fricken $6k a month nursing home.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I don't see the problem here. I lost a grandma to alzheimers 5 years ago, and now my other grandma has been diagnosed. I'd much rather be dead. I would also have rather seem my grandpa die a painless, peaceful death like this rather than 6 months in home hospice while cancer ate him alive.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:41 AM
link   
If you have ever seen a loved one suffer you will know this is a gift.

It should be allowed everywhere.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:42 AM
link   
We put down our best friends, dogs when their quality of life is no longer present out of kindness. We also hold onto our human loved ones to the very end often causing much suffering to them, to ourselves and to others.
I don’t support the decision to be made by a third party or anyone except the person who is looking for assisted suicide and they should be of sound mind.

Death isn’t always passing peacefully in your sleep. Sometimes death is long lasting agony filled with flailing, screaming, confusion, shaking. I for one would welcome an easy death such as this vs some of the more nasty ways to go.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I get the feeling Trudeau would like to euthanize "Old Stock Canadians" as well.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Yeah...id rather have a system like my mother went through...keep em alive until the insurance runs out. Put the familg thru 6 months of hell when the docs knew there was zero chance of recovery. Poorly thought out and executed OP.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 09:32 AM
link   

While I disagree with the idea of assisted suicide I am not at all comfortable with the government forcing people to live on pharmaceutical drugs for anytime uncomfortable and in pain

Granted there has to be regulations and common sense applied to this issue, sadly it will erode because people will want the financial windfall associated with a dead relative

Tricky but, I disagree with keeping people alive just for the sake of keeping people alive. I would prefer death than suffering at a time I just want rest and release

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 09:48 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Assisted suicide should be legal. Unless you've watched a loved one die slowly and painfully of a terminal disease like cancer, you don't know what a gift it could be for them.
If a person is terminally ill and still of sound mind, they should be free to make that decision for themselves.

While I agree with you, the dangerous aspect of it will be when the government uses it to murder people who are not yet ready to die. For instance, government controlled healthcare and not to mention the power of the medical insurance industry in the states.

We already know how corrupted the insurance industry is, imagine the millions they will spend to lobby the corrupted government to allow them to decide who lives and dies? Not that they don't already...

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 10:16 AM
link   
Really? How does insurance make money off dead people, as opposed to keeping someone alive to milk said insurance for a year??????? You need to speak to pees who have been through such a thing as opposed to some bleeding heart, fake religious, knee jerk reaction.

a reply to: seeker1963

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   

originally posted by: lakenheath24
Really? How does insurance make money off dead people, as opposed to keeping someone alive to milk said insurance for a year??????? You need to speak to pees who have been through such a thing as opposed to some bleeding heart, fake religious, knee jerk reaction.

Ever been denied a medical treatment suggested by your doctor? Happens all the time.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 10:43 AM
link   
Well, thankfully the Canadian system, while far from perfect..it's not run by insurance companies turning a profit.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I support assisted suicide only if the decision is made by the person contemplating it as an option. The state should not be involved in the decision making process nor should insurance companies or anyone who could benefit financially from the death of the person in question.
edit on 2020/1/3 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I actually like this policy, but I’ve also watched a few grandparents go through agony for months/years before passing away. As others have stated, this could save a family financially as well. I know if I was terminally ill and right to try didn’t work, I’d want an assisted suicide to prevent my family from being dragged down with hefty medical fees just to keep my heart ticking a little longer.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:02 AM
link   
Ever sit with your mother for 6 months after a stroke? Being told there is a slim chance when in fact they knew she was brain dead from day one? Only to be moved from ICU to the next level to the next level on the day the insurance ran out? Ever sit thru that? Huh? Personally? Or do you just have empty, pathetic anecdotes to spew?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:04 AM
link   
My mom had a no revive clause. Until the jeezus people in the jesus hospital decided it wasnt in their liking. Cant make money off dead folks.

a reply to: Metallicus

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:20 AM
link   
The problem is this: When does the ABILITY to take your own life become the OBLIGATION to take your own life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join