It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pacific nation of Palau bans sunscreen toxic to coral reefs in environmental world first

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 01:19 AM
link   
I have known that sunscreen can kill coral for at least 40 years.

I had a friend that had all kinds of salt water fish and corals who told me of his kids putting their hands into a salt water tank that contained coral after sun bathing. The sunscreen on the kid's hands killed the coral.

All the stories we have read about coral dying in Tourist areas might be attributed to some extent to all the sunscreen the swimmers are using ? The makers of sunscreens need to check their formulas IMO.

The legislation to ban certain sunscreens and skin-care products came into effect on January 1 and is part of Palau's new Responsible Tourism Education Act.

Stores selling prohibited sunscreen could face fines of up to US$1,000 ($1,387), and bottles will be confiscated from tourists upon entry into the country.

The legislation is part of a much wider attempt by the Government to protect its environment, particularly from tourists.

It follows on the heels of Hawaii, which in May last year became the first US state to ban the sale of sunscreens which include two ingredients that have a damaging effect on coral reefs.

The ban covers ingredients such as oxybenzone and octinoxate, which the ICRI described as "known environmental pollutants" which can be "incredibly toxic to juvenile stages of many wildlife species, including corals, fish, macroalgae and even people".

"Oxybenzone can cause corals to become more susceptible to coral bleaching, it will damage the DNA of coral, and it will deform and kill juvenile coral," it said.

www.abc.net.au...

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:26 AM
link   
So now human beings have to die of skin cancer so coral can live. Sounds just about right in the idiotic world we live in now.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus
So now human beings have to die of skin cancer so coral can live.

Or they could not just spend hours laying out for no reason except vanity.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: AugustusMasonicus

So now human beings have to die of skin cancer so coral can live.

Or they could not just spend hours laying out for no reason except vanity.

People such as myself burn easily and often enjoy being outside. It isn’t just about laying in the sun. Sometimes people went to enjoy the outdoors or take a swim.
edit on 2020/1/3 by Metallicus because: Sp

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:36 AM
link   

People such as myself burn easily and often enjoy being outside. It isn’t just about laying in the sun. Sometimes people went to enjoy the outdoors or take a swim.

Let me know when the Ohio River develops a coral reef near Cincinnati.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:41 AM
link   
Humans should use a sunscreen that doesn't contain Oxybenzone. Coral reefs are a vital to juvenile species of coastal ocean life and their loss has widespread implications for saltwater ecosystems everywhere.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:57 AM
link   

People such as myself also travel to places that may or may not have coral reefs. I realize you are just trying to be funny, but many of us white folk burn easily. If anything this is racist against white people who are more likely to need sunscreen.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   

People such as myself also travel to places that may or may not have coral reefs. I realize you are just trying to be funny, but many of us white folk burn easily. If anything this is racist against white people who are more likely to need sunscreen.

I'm not trying to be funny, suck it up if you travel to Palau, it's their country and they make their own rules.

And as pointed out above, coral reefs are one of the foundations of the oceanic food chain, without them we're all screwed.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:04 AM
link   
In other news, Palau's tourism industry takes a deep hit, but illegal fish and coral poaching are on the rise.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:13 AM
link   

I'm not trying to be funny, suck it up if you travel to Palau, it's their country and they make their own rules.

And as pointed out above, coral reefs are one of the foundations of the oceanic food chain, without them we're all screwed.

The life and well-being of a human is more important than coral. However, if there is an equitable solution that allows both of them to live in relative health then that would be the best option.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:22 AM
link   

However, if there is an equitable solution that allows both of them to live in relative health then that would be the best option.

There is, don't use sunscreen with oxybenzone or wear a shirt and a hat when you go to Palau.

Your nonexistent problem is now solved.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 07:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Good thing there are literally dozens of widely available "coral friendly sunscreens" because there isn't much life or wellbeing of humans without healthy oceans.

Come on, Metal. This is a false dichotomy. We can and should protect both.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:53 AM
link   
It wouldn't be the raw untreated sewage that gets released every so often then? Oooops, I didn't mean to say that because Palau is just now investing quite a few million in updating their sewage treatment plants.
Look at the left hand so you can't see what the right hand is doing.
edit on 3-1-2020 by crayzeed because: added sentence

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus
Sure, kill the coral so your fat ass can get golden hue..ffs

You guys can't see 5 minutes ahead, or beyond your back yard.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 01:00 PM
link   
a reply to: vonclod

Sun screen isn't about tanning. Or at least, I haven't ever noticed it giving me a golden hue. I have noticed that some brands don't work well on me and I burn despite their claims of being SPF WTF No Sun Shall Touch You High.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 01:07 PM
link   
I never use sunscreen.
Sport the Irish tan with pride.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko
Sure, I'm just being an ass, there are products that will not hurt the coral..I just don't like the cavalier attitude.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Augustus, get out of your pool and stop trying to start fights.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 11:53 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

Bad title. Not a "first." Your own quote says this:

It follows on the heels of Hawaii,

edit on 1/3/2020 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:11 AM
link   
There's no shortage of calcium carbonate. I get mine from prehistoric oysters.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join