It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

IRGC leader Soleimani has been killed in targeted assassination near Baghdad

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Another thought could this action be why we had a bunch of generals “retire” recently?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 03:58 AM
link   
I suspect they would not put the world at risk unless it was absolutely necessary—to protect American diplomats and servicemen.

Good riddance.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: Pyle
I wonder if the Iranian general was a target or just collateral.

I have no reason to doubt he was the intended target. The longer-term problem is the drone and conventional airstrikes are not a replacement for "boots on the ground". Trump's erratic foreign policy decisions deter potential Iraqi militias/proxy and at a stretch military support against Iranian forces in Iraq. The impact of Trump abandoning the Kurds is only just starting to play out.

If the option fighting proxy wars against Iran doesn't exist, there is a dangerous tight rope act. Neither the withdrawal of U.S. military forces from the region or an outright war against Iran is a desirable outcome.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:18 AM
link   
a reply to: xpert11

Friendly reminder that Obama droned an American citizen. Just sayin...

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:25 AM
link   
That was quick..

I guess when you're about to attack the 'Great Satan' you need bums on seats.

Not much to be found online about this guy, seems fairly level headed, actually!

en.irna.ir...

Brigadier General Esmaeil Qa'ani said here on Thursday that Iran has no interference in Syrian issues.

He said that the US, which could not get any results from its ex-tactics in the Middle East by inflaming wars, threats and sanctions, proposed a term dubbed as 'terrorism' and by accusing countries for supporting terrorism justified its invasion against them.

The general continued that terrorism from military viewpoint has two meanings; first it means war without border, which current situation in Syria comes from this approach.

The second meaning of terrorism is to organize groups with deviated thought to disrupt religious beliefs and formation of Takfiri, Vahabi and Salafi radical groups is to hurt Islam.

Since the beginning of developments in Syria, Iran had clearly said that the Syrian problem should be settled between its government and people by themselves.

Qa'ani stressed that during eight years of imposed war, Iran did not receive any assistance from other countries and it was in that period that Hezbollah was founded in Lebanon.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:53 AM
link   
a reply to: sine.nomine

The failings of Obama's foreign policy are already well documented. I am not opposed to drone strikes. Stand-alone drone and (manned) airstrikes form a part of combined arms, they don't win wars by themselves. Perhaps another problem is U.S. policy is not geared to preventing the next crises or from WW3. At best, the U.S. reacts to crises in the Obama era. Today, Trump's erratic foreign policy is alienating allies and closing off policy options as described in my previous post.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Plenty of reports coming in that the REAL Soleimani is alive and well and the dead guy was Sean Connery who's been acting as his double for the past decade on a very big pay cheque

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

I don't really know what to think about the debacle in the ME. The whole mess is just dumb.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Dbl post
edit on 3-1-2020 by Tarzan the apeman. because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Come on people! This was coming! They have been desperate to attack Iran for years! I mean, it was one of the countries listed to invade years ago!

Of course it was illegal, but some countries are above international law, as we have seen in the last two decades alone!

Trump is a complete idiot, but I thought he was just an idiot! This moves means he is also dangerous! And with all the trump fanatics out there who look at him as a mini God, it's very worrying indeed!

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:18 AM
link   
And the MIC gets what they wanted for years. Do you guys still think that Trump isn't just another puppet?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:20 AM
link   

originally posted by: shooterbrody

originally posted by: Anathros
I'm just gonna say that if you didn't think that Democrats were traitors to our country, this thread should definitely change your minds. I personally don't wish to see a war but if I do, I wish you traitorous sobs were on the front lines for fodder. Just my .02

Watching dems side with iran instead of our nation is sick.
TLB

Indeed but thats nothing new is it?

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: Jay-morris
Come on people! This was coming! They have been desperate to attack Iran for years! I mean, it was one of the countries listed to invade years ago!

Of course it was illegal, but some countries are above international law, as we have seen in the last two decades alone!

Trump is a complete idiot, but I thought he was just an idiot! This moves means he is also dangerous! And with all the trump fanatics out there who look at him as a mini God, it's very worrying indeed!

So easy for you to judge him as such with like 0.5% of the information required to make these kinds of descisions.

I would elaborate but in reality it will all go straight over your head - to deep for sheep.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: CthruU

So easy for you to judge him as such with like 0.5% of the information required to make these kinds of descisions.

I would elaborate but in reality it will all go straight over your head - to deep for sheep.

I gather you are a Trump fanatic! Whatever the outcome, you eill still back him! That's the worrying thing!

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:35 AM
link   

I gather you are a Trump fanatic! Whatever the outcome, you eill still back him! That's the worrying thing!

Why would anyone NOT back the killing of a known terrorist?
Is attacking terrorists now bad and only fanatics support such actions?

edit on 3/1/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: UKTruth

Let me know when we drone strike the Saudi Royal family who probably did more than anyone else when it comes to killing Americans. I'd 100% back that.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:42 AM
link   

A general in a national military is not a terrorist.

Especially not one who defeated the Islamic State in two countries.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:55 AM
link   
What with the economic sanctions against them...Iran considers itself already at war with the United States.

I have suspicions that D.J. Trump will keep urging military strikes against Iran, in order to deflect public opinion, with the ongoing impeachment deliberations against him.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 05:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: Ohanka

A general in a national military is not a terrorist.

Especially not one who defeated the Islamic State in two countries.

The unit he led is designated as a terrorist organisation.
Of note is his military support to Hezbollah and Hamas.
He was killed in response to his latest terrorist attack on the US Embassy in Baghdad.
edit on 3/1/2020 by UKTruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 06:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Erno86

My opinion is he will authorize no strikes unless it is a reaction to something Iran does. I also believe that we may not be done from this initial retaliation for the embassy mess. I don't think Trump wants war at all but he has stated he will protect our assets and a reaction to any initial confrontation by Iran will be much worse for them.

I like the fact it was a precise targeting and not a bombing run that put civilians and or their assets in danger. The problem is with all the sanctions and unrest in Iran I think they are a little desperate and a little unpredictable which can be dangerous

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join