It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Support for windows 7 is ending in coming days in my country, Australia.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 02:48 AM
link   
Nope.

Nope.

Annnnnnnnnnnnnd NOPE.

I've tried Win 10 on other computers; friends and family, etc.

It freaking sucks.

It takes longer to start up, everything is ABSOLUTELY nowhere where it should be, the navigation is horrendously complicated, it's all app based like a larger version of a cellphone, and frankly, I don't trust forced updates.

So no, I'm not updating a thing.

posted on Jan, 3 2020 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Once ATS was a website about conspiracies, nowadays people on ATS tell you to get Win10.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: EternalShadow
It takes longer to start up, everything is ABSOLUTELY nowhere where it should be, the navigation is horrendously complicated, it's all app based like a larger version of a cellphone, and frankly, I don't trust forced updates.

In all computers I have installed Windows 10 the start up is faster, the navigation is exactly as it was before (unless you are talking about the start menu, in which case it's easier than it was) and is only "app based" if you choose it.

I have been using Windows 10 since the preview was launched and I only dislike the forced updates.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: DerBeobachter

It's better than politics.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Oh really? Well I guess I'll.....

Nope.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:20 PM
link   
a reply to: EternalShadow

Really. Not being you I cannot know what have you experienced to have such an opinion and
vice-versa.

posted on Jan, 4 2020 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

I upgraded to Win 10 from Win 7 middle of last year , no problems with it so far.
Don't know about your storage disk but my storage disk was recognised on first boot and works fine , everything on it is accessible.

Time to make the move.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 01:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Windows 7 has already reached EOL .
What you doin on an ancient OS anyway ?
Have you read of the new features in Windows 10 ?
You need to.
And , once upon a time years ago , you actually had a chance to use your Windows 7 to upgrade to Win 10 as a registered digital copy for free.
I capitalized on that one with all 4 of my machines running Windows 8.1.
Just think , Win 10 for free. Registered . With Microsoft.
Then , almost immediately , signed up for the Windows 10 Insider Program on 2 of them.
Never had an issue.

I stuck with win 7 because win 10 is a completely open system, no security at all. People have reported they were in the middle of doing something and all of a sudden their computer would shut down, restart and install updates. You as the user had no say in what they installed on your computer.

This open door system is major worry for me.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 01:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: schuyler
Keep Win 7. Two of my machines still have it. It works fine. "End of support" means no more updates, but who cares? How many times --in your entire life-- have you actually needed "support" from Microsoft? You have more control over your own machine with Win 7. Just keep it and don't worry about it. When you get a new machine, which you eventually will, it will have the latest OS.

Thanks for that. My only real concern about security is when it comes to finanical transactions as this is where the security aspects of it come into play.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 01:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue

originally posted by: Gothmog
Windows 7 has already reached EOL .
What you doin on an ancient OS anyway ?
Have you read of the new features in Windows 10 ?
You need to.
And , once upon a time years ago , you actually had a chance to use your Windows 7 to upgrade to Win 10 as a registered digital copy for free.
I capitalized on that one with all 4 of my machines running Windows 8.1.
Just think , Win 10 for free. Registered . With Microsoft.
Then , almost immediately , signed up for the Windows 10 Insider Program on 2 of them.
Never had an issue.

I stuck with win 7 because win 10 is a completely open system, no security at all. People have reported they were in the middle of doing something and all of a sudden their computer would shut down, restart and install updates. You as the user had no say in what they installed on your computer.

This open door system is major worry for me.

Incorrect.
I have never , ever had the system automatically update Win10 without asking about a restart.
And I started with the beta and have also been in the Insider program since the start. I receive a new Windows 10 about once / week on 2 of my systems .
Windows 10 no security ?
Windows 7 built in security features are YEARS behind Win 10 , and MS will not be adding them to 7 .

But , that is up to you . If your system would meet the specs , I would upgrade .

edit on 1/5/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/5/20 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 02:46 AM
link   
a reply to: Azureblue

Be aware the 64-bit version of Windows 10 won't run a lot of older PC software (anything 16-bit). IIUC, Win10 can also be installed as 32-bit. There may be downsides to doing that, but I realized too late that I shut myself out of running some expensive older software that is 16-bit only.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 05:46 AM
link   

originally posted by: Azureblue
You as the user had no say in what they installed on your computer.

They install Windows updates and (if you say so) updates for other Microsoft products installed in your computer, like they did in previous versions.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 06:12 AM
link   
a reply to: F2d5thCavv2

The 32 bit version of Windows 10 is able to run 16 bit applications through NTVDM, Windows' Virtual DOS Machine.
The 64 bit version doesn't run NTVDM, so you need an emulator to be able to run 16 bit applications.

If it's a real DOS application you can use something like DOSBox. I use it to run very old applications, including a DBase application we used at work.

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Thanks ArMaP. May be worth setting up another machine with 32bit Win10 just to be able to run the older apps.

Cheers

posted on Jan, 5 2020 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Boooooooo!!!

posted on Jan, 7 2020 @ 10:30 PM
link   

but at least it’s not Vista.

most people dont know vista was better than win 7. they jumped ship asap , you know like rats do.
you dirty rats.

posted on Jan, 8 2020 @ 04:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Rikku

I never had a problem with Vista. In fact, the only Windows version that I uninstalled to go back to the previous one was Windows ME.

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 05:08 PM
link   

If I am not mistaken, programs that are ran in 32bit and for win 7, Vista and 8.1 older versions still work in Win 10 automatically when installed in the "Program Files 86" operations folder.
edit on 1/12/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: shawmanfromny

Microsoft/BIGBROTHER is very clear about what you will get from them, They are just not so clear on what they can do with what you give in the name of the ongoing social science experiment, meant to make you submit to their master plan to steal the planet from Him to whom it belongs and the One he said he would give it too.

edit on 1/12/2020 by ChesterJohn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2020 @ 08:17 PM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

Exactly, and for older programs you just have to use the compatibility options, like in previous versions.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join